Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Anybody's tranny slipping

10K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  DZeckhausen 
#1 ·
I've noticed in the morning when the car is cold that the transmission seems to be slipping and maybe getting worse. Has anybody experienced this?

#3 ·
Yes

Is your car on a slope? When I park on a slope (front higher than the rear) and it is cold out, the tranny slips big time. So much so that the car will not move. It only takes a minute or so with the car at idle for everything to be fine. Might make sense to have the dealer take a look to make sure nothing is wrong.

#5 ·
Mine also slips

I have taken it to the dealer three times, they can't find a problem. It only happens in the morning when cool and doesn't matter in parked in the street or slopped drive way. It has just happen three times in 42,000 miles.

Often times the tranny also seems to lurch fist thing in the morning.

Anybody have an idea what's going on?

#6 ·
I always say this SRT8 is the first modern car I've owned that is a true cold blooded american car with muscle. It takes a few minutes to warm up before it idles right. The tranny doesn't seem right until warm. Give her a minute to warm up and she'll be all right.

#7 ·
Definitely shouldn't slip regardless of how cold or warmed up it is.

Mine used to thinking back to before I had mine replaced under warranty. All good now, better than when I bought it (from new) i reckon.

Definitely get it checked and be firm with them on it. Will be a warranty scenario (should be).

#8 ·
My 300csrt seems to be ok but my '04 2500 pick-up truck slips when it has been sitting for a week or longer,,,,just start the car and let it idle for about 8 sconds to let the trans fluid get moving. This had occurred on three other Dodges I had in the past also...

#9 ·
I always wondered about that. One of my guys is a tranny and he's always slipping on something. Never could quite figure that out.

Bernie

#10 ·
haw

I always wondered about that. One of my guys is a tranny and he's always slipping on something. Never could quite figure that out.Bernie

BWAhahahaha! I just spit my beer up all over!

You are a comedian. Absolutely! And BTW, you did not see me "slip" anything to that tranny!

#13 · (Edited)
It's an automatic. All automatics slip until they're at operating temp. My race car has a ridiculous Turbo 400 in it and it is "soft" until the fluid warms up.

If you have any slippage past maybe 10 mins of running time, I'd bring it back to the dealer. The transmissions in these cars are pretty awesome though. They're beefed up nicely to handle the torque of ours and E-class cars with little trouble.

#16 ·
Slippery

It's an automatic. All automatics slip until they're at operating temp. My race car has a ridiculous Turbo 400 in it and it is "soft" until the fluid warms up.
That is simply not true. Not "all" autos slip when cold. I currently have a full race 4L80E with an aftermarket controller and a 2800 rpm converter waiting on install, and if it slips when cold I'm going to be pissed!

As a regular racer and owner of many big block cars with a ton of turbo 400's since 1969, I don't agree. You will find that most autos make more fluid pressure when cold. This generally means that everything relative to pressure output is BEST when it's cold. Transmission oil is just like most motor oil in this respect, tend to thin out at higher temps.

If your transmission slips when cold, you've likely got an issue with pump wear or friction materials being worn. It can also be the type of fluids used. Lots of times we see wear on the clutches, thus getting less slip as the fluid thins out and warms up.

But I have seen a lot of strange behavior when first started in the AM!

BTW, the owners experiencing this should pay for an oil analysis, it can really help in diagnosis. Good luck.

#17 ·
I've just begun to see similar issues on my SRT-8. When it's cold, it seems almost like there's there's a "1/2" gear - something between neutral and 1st gear. It does go away after barely a minute or two.

Anybody else seeing this?

What's the verdict? Problem, or expected? I know it holds the gears longer when cold (i.e. raised shift point) to help things warm up, but this truly feels like it's not even in 1st gear.

#18 ·
Yes, mine also slips when it is cold. This problem started just after I had the leaky "O" ring in the transmission replaced. Talked to the Dealer and they want me to bring it in and leave it overnight so thay can replicate the cold start-up conditions. I just haven't had the time to leave it overnight. As some others have stated, the slippage does go away after it has warmed up a bit. So at this point, it's more of a minor inconvevience. I have 14.9k miles on the car.

Cold/Warm/Hot, the transmission should NOT slip whatsoever - especially in a new vehicle like ours.

#20 ·
Update:
First I can't believe this thread is still going.

Second, I took it to the dealer six months ago and they reprogrammed the tranny computer and that took care of the 1-2 shift hesitation but the slippage remained. I waited until the problem got really bad so that when I took it back they would definitely notice it. They certainly noticed it and 2 weeks later I got it back with a rebuilt transmission which works perfectly now.

#21 ·
i also have a a slipage problem with my 2005 that I just got. Only when its very cold and the car has been sitting overnight. Its only happens for the first few seconds after i put it in gear. I was kinda freaked out but it apears to have happened to others. I guess i should bring it in and complain but I wonder Chrysler will be able to replicate.

Joe

#22 ·
me too!

mine started slipping first thing in the morning. the fluid was low, due to a slight leak from the o rings. the dealer replaced the o rings, filled the fluid to the proper level, and no more slipping. check the fluid level, (I have the dip stick tool) or go to the dealer, and have them do it. it is never "normal" for the trans. to slip, even when cold!

#28 ·
i would be curious to know what these people mean as well.

technically every tranny slips most of the time. meaning the converter is not locked.

you can also have clutches slipping. but thats a problem. clutches should never slip. but with this, you would not feel it on a cold start. you would notice in the higher rpm ranges.

#24 ·
I have the same thing happen sometimes - but its normal. I have a HEMI in my 300 and it just seams that these cars are cold blooded. I have driven the car on several 0 degres F. days and has long as i let the car warm up before driving its fine. but if I drive it immidiately, the cars RPMs will be at a much higher level for the slow speed I travel. (most evedent going uphill at 15 miles per hour and the engine is roaring at 4k rpms)

#27 ·
my roomates SRT charger does this exact thing.

#29 ·
Anyone ever the hear this one?

What does Eddie Murphy have in common with Chrysler?

R U REDDY?

Sooner or later you're gonna blow a tranny!

#30 ·
For me it’s basically the car revs about 1k higher. Taking off at what would normally be 1500 to 2k the car flashes to 2500 to 3k. It been relatively warm here the last few day and it has not happened i almost cant wait for a cold snap to see if there is a direct correlation to temperature

#31 · (Edited)
Can we get some kind of final verdict on this? I notice this cold slippage feeling also when the car is cold.. is this a problem or just normal?

#33 ·
multi stage

please make sure you are not confusing lack of lock up with slippage. These trans can apply multiple stages of lock up during almost any gear. Cold start programming dictates no lock up until trans fluid warms to preselected temp (almost all newer cars with autos do this). This can cause a real change in "feel" until the fluid warms a bit. After a couple of miles all should be normal.

But if you crank your car up first thing in the AM and put it in gear and don't feel a nice firm engagement very quickly... or you put it in D and you need 4000 rpms to get up the driveway, you have a serious problem that will only get worse. Fluid pressures are HIGHEST when cold, and if your trans slips then, you have issues.

BTW, the torque converter issues discussed previously are NOT from this trans (w580). These transmissions have a good record. It's from the four speed units Chrysler has made for years in their RWD vehicles. The torque converter sheds particulate and gradually destroys the trans. A converter change was made, and all is well today. This happens in lots of autos, not just Chryslers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.