Motor blown - Page 15 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > SRT8 Forums > 1st Gen SRT8-Specific General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

1st Gen SRT8-Specific General Discussion General Discussion specific to the SRT8 models. If your topic is not specific to the SRT8, please post it in the All Models Forums.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #141 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 71,594, Level: 1 Points: 71,594, Level: 1 Points: 71,594, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2006 300C SRT-8 2000 Boosted Z06 Don't let your meat loaf
Member Number: 1919
Dude seriously if that's a hole in your piston you can forget have them rebuild. I'm sure they'll agree to a new motor at that point. It won't be worth their time to pull the engine and completely rebuild the interal rotating assembly.

Who knows, maybe they will. I can see their thinking. "Oh well, it's just a piston we have to order."

Meanwhile journals and mains are scored left and right, and then they reuse all the connecting rod hardware and bearings to boot.

Damn, I just don't trust them at this point. GET A NEW MOTOR!

Last edited by vvv90; 08-24-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #142 (permalink)
Banned
Points: 2,267, Level: 1 Points: 2,267, Level: 1 Points: 2,267, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car:
Member Number: 1869
That is indeed a hole! I would thing this makes a pretty strong case for a new motor since this problem is no longer just head related now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300c Owner
What would cause that sort of heat?

It looks like all the cylinders/pistons are over heated?

Does the one have an actual hole in it?

After looking at the pictures even further it appears the valve portion broke free and bounced around in the cylinder a few times. At one point the steam punctured the pistion head and also there appears to be impressions in the piston head showing the force where the valve was pusshed back into it's currentl location.

WOW.

Dsouth ... hang on to the pictures and take more if you can. They will help with any warranty claims now and possibly when you have engine failures in the future. If the piston hole goes all the way through, that would imply that raw fuel penitrated the crank case and contaminated ALL THE OIL and when through the entire engine cleaning any lubrication effect that may have exhisted. Leaving metal on metal ... .OUCH.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #143 (permalink)
Points: 5,122, Level: 1 Points: 5,122, Level: 1 Points: 5,122, Level: 1

Car:
Member Number: 2784
Yes that is a big hole in the top of the piston -probably right after it (valve) lodged sideways it the head. Where that metal went is what concerns me!!! My pic of the broken spring didn't come out very clear. The valve is snapped off like a twig (not sure if you can tell from the pic)
Chrysler is still planning to repair this motor which frustrates me - Chrysler Corp is involved at least as far as calling the service manager. SRT is also in contact. Seems as though the decision has been made to repair over my appeal to the top.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #144 (permalink)
Points: 11,591, Level: 1 Points: 11,591, Level: 1 Points: 11,591, Level: 1
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Car: 2005 Black 300c - 277,000 KM
Member Number: 130
Sheared Valve Stem

Any idea what could have caused the sheared valve stem?

You POOR BAS___RD

Keep as many pictures as you can and share the pictures with the decision makers. The other valve also looks "touched" as well as the entire compresson portion of the head. Can't tell if water leaked into the cylinder from the water jackets on the head etc. The head would only need to flex a small amount. Check the head bolts to see if they look stressed.

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #145 (permalink)
Major Contributing Member
Points: 17,440, Level: 1 Points: 17,440, Level: 1 Points: 17,440, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT-8
Member Number: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouth
Chrysler is still planning to repair this motor which frustrates me - Chrysler Corp is involved at least as far as calling the service manager. SRT is also in contact. Seems as though the decision has been made to repair over my appeal to the top.
Once again, I would not take the local guys word for it. I had daily conversations both with the local techs as well as Chrysler Headquarters in Auburn Hills. Local guys will tell you what you want to hear. BTW, document the day, time and content of EVERY conversation, message left and email sent. The more detailed you are the more afraid they get.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I don't want these guys screwing you.
Mopar CAI
Diablosport Predator w/ GSM Custom Tune
Grip Grille
Ultimate Pedals
Chrysler VES
Tint - 35% all around

----------------------------------------
"Nobody tinkers with my tweeter." - Larry Dallas
Old 08-24-2005, 06:50 PM   #146 (permalink)
Points: 4,976, Level: 1 Points: 4,976, Level: 1 Points: 4,976, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Silver Steel 300C SRT8
Member Number: 1858
dSouth - I mean this only to help you, not to incite you. You need to change your approach to resolving this problem to your maximum satisfaction. Unless you did something that would extinguish your warranty (ie. nitrous/blower/turbo), the time has come to tell DCX what they need to do to satisfy you, and for that matter, what they need to do to satisfy the 5500 views THIS THREAD has generated.

As I understand, on August 6 your car just died while cruising at about 80 mph. You brought it to a dealer on August 7, where it has remained ever since. Depending on your state's Lemon Law, DCX probably only gets thirty days to completely resolve the issue. That means over the course of the next two weeks, your dealer needs to order and receive all of the necessary parts, rebuild the bottom half of your motor (unless they're going to just slap in one piston), machine and rebuild at least the one head, reinstall the motor, test it and make sure it's absolutely perfect (no leaks, rattles, vibrations, etc.). If they fail to accomplish this daunting task in the required time, they can forget the expense of a new motor. Instead, they'll win the opportunity to buy back your SRT, and of course get to disclose to the next buyer that the car was Lemon Law buy back. I really think you can make a legitimate argument that it is in DCX's best interest to: satisfy you - a $46,000 Chrysler buyer; satisfy the concerns of other buyers and potential buyers; save $$$ by fixing the car the right way, the first time; and avoid a possible, if not probable, Lemon Law claim.

I'd be shocked if reasonably high-up DCX decision makers would not see the advantages to DCX in resolving your problem to your satisfaction. YOU, not the service writers, need to work the DCX channels directly.

Sorry to be preachy. Best of luck!!
Alan
Old 08-24-2005, 06:56 PM   #147 (permalink)
Points: 7,605, Level: 1 Points: 7,605, Level: 1 Points: 7,605, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Dodge Red SRT-8
Member Number: 2111
No way is a rebuild of that motor acceptable, not in my eyes. Not in a car with such low mileage.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #148 (permalink)
Points: 7,605, Level: 1 Points: 7,605, Level: 1 Points: 7,605, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Dodge Red SRT-8
Member Number: 2111
Hmm, wonder if the color difference between that one intake valve and the others took place before or after the disaster? Interesting to see the hollow core of the exhuast valve, wonder where all the sodium went? .
Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #149 (permalink)
sjz
Points: 6,512, Level: 1 Points: 6,512, Level: 1 Points: 6,512, Level: 1

Car: 2006 SRT8 300C
Member Number: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouth
Yes that is a big hole in the top of the piston -probably right after it (valve) lodged sideways it the head. Where that metal went is what concerns me!!! My pic of the broken spring didn't come out very clear. The valve is snapped off like a twig (not sure if you can tell from the pic)
First...sorry for your bad luck.
My guess is that the valve spring or keeper broke, letting the valve drop down and contact the top of the piston. This snapped the valve stem, and caused the top of the valve to bounce around in the combustion chamber. How do the cylinder walls look?
If this were my car, I would be kicking & screaming if they told me their plans entailed anything short of a replacement engine. That blown engine has to be taken apart, completely cleaned (oil passages, etc.), new oil pump, lifters, all new bearings (possible undercut journals). The grit you see on the top of the piston is throughout your engine.
For them to say they will "repair" it, leads me to believe they are going to replace the head, and piston & call it a day... BAD NEWS!! That engine will never be the same with that kind of fix. I don't know for a fact that they are, but if these engines are balanced at the factory that modifies them, do they have the ability to install a matched weight piston (and rod, should you need it)? If not, the engine will no longer be balanced.
In my youth, I worked in an auto machine shop and have rebuilt countless heads & engines. (In fact I have an International Harvester 345cu engine on the engine stand right now.) I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I have a pretty good backround in these matters.
My thoughts are with you.
-Steve
Old 08-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #150 (permalink)
Points: 14,630, Level: 1 Points: 14,630, Level: 1 Points: 14,630, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
Member Number: 808
dsouth,

You have some great feedback so far. You need to document everything, day and time, and track what they are doing. I hate to say that it is your responsibility to see what they are doing, but at this point it is. YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THEY REPLACE THE MOTOR. If you don't push this very hard now and accept a 'rebuild' of this motor from them, YOU NEED TO VISUALLY SEE THE MOTOR COMPLETELY TORN DOWN before they start the rebuild. They cannot simply replace this piston and the head. All of that material has completely moved through the motor in the oil. Furthor, the crap that got into the oil system will be sitting in the passages unless the block is completely torn down to bare and serviced(cleaned, checked).

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement