e85 question... - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > SRT8 Forums > 1st Gen SRT8-Specific Performance & Engine/Intake/Exhaust Mods
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

1st Gen SRT8-Specific Performance & Engine/Intake/Exhaust Mods This section is for topics related to SRT8 performance & performance mods. For non SRT8-specific topics, please post in the All Models Forums.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 1,535, Level: 1 Points: 1,535, Level: 1 Points: 1,535, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Car: 2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
Member Number: 25941
e85 question...

I understand that straight e85 isn't a good idea for these cars, but has anyone tried to run a mix? Say 3 gallons of e85 and fill up with 93 octane? It would allow for more timing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 2,837, Level: 1 Points: 2,837, Level: 1 Points: 2,837, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
Member Number: 16757
Send a message via AIM to DGatzby1
Theoretically, that would effect octane level in the tank, but you are adding enough of the blend where you may need to change the A/f ratio also. You probably need to run more fuel to make it work. You could play with the WOT setting with a DS tool, but without CMR software we cannot play with the partial throttle settings (tables) so you may get some drivability problems. 16 of 93 and 3 of 110 does equate to 95.6 in 19 gal! I have often thought about the same experiment. Also remember if you can get 93 octane you are at or near the upper timing sweet spot anyway. There is not much more to go without going into the area in timing advance where we do not see further gains in HP/TQ. That is about one more degree with perfect air, temps,fuel, planet and star alignments (LOL). Believe me on that because I do own and have run a custom E-85 tune with 100% of the stuff in the tank, and have lots of data logs of timing advance. You really don't want to start playing with those settings without some real good knowledge about it.

So in short summary, if you have access to 93 octane gas, use a good tune and it works about as good as it can get.
Mopar CAI
175 T-stat, BT Catch Can
Centric Posi Pads
245/45 275/40 Stagger

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. This is my brother's car; I drive a Mazdaspeed 3, and of course in boosted applications that octane can unlock lots of doors. We also have a tuning solution with access to an ungodly number of tables, so adjusting fuel/timing/etc. isn't difficult. Now I'm at the point where I want to get more power out of this huge beast safely. All he has so far is a Predator and a CAI (C&L I believe).
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 52,685, Level: 1 Points: 52,685, Level: 1 Points: 52,685, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Member Number: 11602
Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,579 Posts
If you can get a dyno session for the car and measure the A/F, then there is a method to add fuel within the tuner. Shoot for 12.5 - 12.8 A/F on the big Hemi.

Check out the How To here, Post#6:

Predator Knowledge Base & How To's
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
If you can get a dyno session for the car and measure the A/F, then there is a method to add fuel within the tuner. Shoot for 12.5 - 12.8 A/F on the big Hemi.

Check out the How To here, Post#6:

Predator Knowledge Base & How To's
Yeah, I've messed around with it a little; not too much since I am unfamiliar with these engines. And also because I've blown mine up twice in a year. 12.5-12.8 would blow me up a third time methinks...LOL! I'll see what we can get done on a dyno then, maybe for Christmas.

I really hate you guys. I've got to compensate for twice the displacement and an unholy amount of horsepower. But I have to admit, these are some really great machines!

Dizzy Tuned by Boost_creep, 307whp, 353wtq

SOON: JBR 3.5" whale penis intake, PnP stock intake manifold w/VCTS delete, Corksport TMIC, SSP OCC, JBR TIG's, Cobb AP, PTP internals, stock TBE w/gutted cats, JBR RMM, SU PMM and TMM, Koni Yellow Sport struts, Cobb RSB, Posifab 10.5:1 CR 88mm sexy pistons, Molnar rods

not so soon: BNR S3
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Points: 435, Level: 1 Points: 435, Level: 1 Points: 435, Level: 1
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300SRT
Member Number: 29035
I ran e25 with adjusting fuel on the trinity for about 6 months. Then I switched to e35 with a custom tune, on the factory srt injectors I was at 95% duty cycle at wot on e35, so 35% ethanol is the limit on factory srt injectors. Did run 12.51 NA on the e35 setup though. Now I run straight e85 with the turbos. I have seen no evidence so far that the ethanol is hurting anything and been running some mix of it for 50k miles. I did put in a custom fuel system about 7k miles ago though, but still use the factory supply as a return, the factory siphon system and the factory fuel lines that are internal to the tank.
11.12 @ 126, 4475# on M&H325s
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Points: 8,325, Level: 1 Points: 8,325, Level: 1 Points: 8,325, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2011 Ford Shelby GT500
Member Number: 35707
Also keep in mind that running full on E85 fuels you'll need to step up the on the fuel system components used and make sure it can support the fuel. It's very corrosive so you want to make sure you have the proper seals(viton) and lines(teflon) to support it if you plan on running it full time or a lot of the time.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

yeh, good point. On my current system I have teflon orings everywhere I could use them: on the orb fittings on the end of my fuel rails, fuel filter and pressure regulator. In the tank, I have a 3pump basket that was developed by crank this performance (cam) . I don't know if this setup is readily available on the market, but it uses orings in a dynamic configuration (the basket slides up and down on the hat and is sealed by orings). the teflon proved to be too stiff for this application. so in that case i am using the viton orings. All of my fuel lines are teflon except for the factory lines mentioned above. I did run for several years and about 45K miles on the factory supply system without issue however. My experience has been that static orings are generally ok until you remove them. Once removed they will swell if they have been exposed to ethanol and thus need to be replaced. I have heard of aftermarket fuel lines failing, but I have never heard of deterioration of the factory supply or lines internal to the tank (plastic lines between the passenger and driver basket). Until someone has run ethanol for say 200k miles, I'd still have to say the jury is out on what the real long term effects are, but IMO catastrophic failure in a short period of time is unlikely.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Points: 8,325, Level: 1 Points: 8,325, Level: 1 Points: 8,325, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2011 Ford Shelby GT500
Member Number: 35707
Oh, I agree with you 100% when you say "short period is unlikely" but crazy things happen lol. E85 also chews through injectors as well, have you seen the black goo problems with it? Looks like tar!

Yea we run the Fore Innovations hats with the twin 405s and 99% of the time we get the viton upgrades even if the customer hasn't requested it just to allow for them to be able to change it up without having to go back in and redo everything.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

i've heard some people in the nonLX world talking about this goo. I have not yet experienced it. I haven't looked at my injectors for a while, but I am going to move some of my injectors around to try to get the injectors which appear leaner at part throttle on one bank and the richer on the other; (I have id2ks and i'm still having some periodic idling issues i have not been able to solve). I'll look a them closely when i pull them and see if there is any residue.btw, injector dynamics claims their injectors are fully ethanol compatable. No issues yet, but only about 11 months and 10k miles on them so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement