Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

670 HP and too much boost

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MPistone 
#1 ·
It was a K1 Crank, rated at 1,000 HP. Came apart at number 7 - trashed my brand new 440 Block, Twisted two Rods (Piston's never stood a chance), drove one of the pistons into a value and ate the Oil Pick up. I had 3,800 miles on that 440.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh dammit dude! That absolutely sucks!

Out of balance? Wtf?

#3 ·
The motor was completely balanced and blueprinted. It had to be a mfg defect of some kind. I was hardly getting on it when it let go.

That was week ago last Thursday. Adam from spankin time gave me a 426 stroker short block that he had just built for himself. Reused my top end and had the new motor installed and running Wednesday. I picked it up this evening. The guy is incredible.

#6 ·
Nope - no warranty. The Crank was new when I put it in my first 426 stroker build. Then I had that block sleeved with darton racing sleeves to make it a 442 CI motor but reused the crank as it only had about 30K on it and visually the crank looked fine.

This time around though, back to a 426 stroker but using a Manley Pro Series Crank, Pro Series "I" beam steel Rods, a new set of Diamond Billet Racing Pistons and ARP fasteners.

#7 ·
Damn it dude... the bloody darton sleeves are at least $1500 alone... man that hurts more and more when I look at it...

Sorry pal... how's the 426 feel so far?

#9 ·
The "new" 426 was a motor Adam (owner of Spankin Time) had built for himself. It had less that a Hundred miles on it (still had the break in oil in it) and he sold me the bottom end. He's a hell of a guy to pull through like that and if given a choice I'd take any short block he built for his own personal use over a customer build any day. The motor is whisper quite and I am in the process of slowly breaking it in. I'll head back over to Spankin Time as soon I have 1,000 miles on it for the Race tune. Looking in the 700 HP plus range with my blower pushing 9 PSI.

Debating if I'll change to a ProCharger or a KB 2.8 blower. The motor will be in the 875 - 925 RWHP with 18, maybe 20 pounds of boost. But this last episode took a big bite out of my wallet and I don't want to blow a Tranny or Rear End adding too much horse power.

It's just a killer to let the Shelly's and C7's pass me now while I break it in. And we all know once it's tuned and back to race time .... Nothing but Toyota and KIA on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.