1st Gen SRT8-Specific Performance & Engine/Intake/Exhaust ModsThis section is for topics related to SRT8 performance & performance mods. For non SRT8-specific topics, please post in the All Models Forums.
that was from a few hours ago..im about 90% done right now. Ran into a few snags and wound up having to stop progress due to a lack of barbs to replace the hardlines that go to the heater core from the water pump. The MAP harness is lengthened, the pump is mounted and the heat exchanger is mounted, the hosing to heater core is replumbed minus being plugged in to the water pump (damn barbs). The tank is mounted, the plumming to everything but the water pump and intercooler plumbing is complete. I will tackle the intercooler pump wiring harness and the pulley setup after work tomarrow. Sorry so few pics but there have been several real good install walk throughs. This is more an overall review, not so much a "how to". Unless i can find parts locally im just going to shoot for a Tuesday evening start up.
SRTMax camd and twinscrewed @ 10lbs 7.7@92 - 11.9@117
Dyno#'s on 10psi 553hp/596tq @TES Performance
Last edited by Jetblak6.1; 04-17-2012 at 02:41 PM.
UPS tried to deliver the box containing the last of my parts today but no one was home to sign for it. Ill pick it up on my way home tomarrow and hopefully be ready for startup by days end. Cant do the idler pullies until the head unit is mounted so minus plugging in some hoses/sensors, adding coolant and bolting the head unit on, were about done. Just the fun part remains.
Yah I know what one you got the eBay one lol he wanted 2k for it he has been tring to sell it for ages if it's the same one it had the intercooler and injectors just needed water stuff was a great buy for someone who wanted to put a nice kit together
Yah I know what one you got the eBay one... just needed water stuff was a great buy for someone who wanted to put a nice kit together
Yep thats the one.
Been running into stupid little delays that set me back a day at a time. Wednesday i could not find anyone to help me set the thing on the block until after dark (go figure). Managed to do that Thursday but then ran into the issue of the intake bolts being too short since i am incorperating the use of phenolic spacers. They give you special bolts to use the spacers with a stock manifold and they give you special bolts to use the supercharger since it requires longer than stock but when you combine the spacers and the supercharger, it necessitates an oddball "one off" length. I am working that out right now and hope to have the thing completely torqued down by the end of the day. After that it is just a matter of adding coolant to the intercooler system and install the new blower tune (thanks Johan) via Diablo. That is until i run into the next PITA stupid problem. Races are not until the 24th.
Figured i owe everyone an update at this point. Straight off ill admit that i did not even touch the project for like 2 weeks after my last post. Partially due to the non compliance of the weather, but partially due to other unexpected financial obligations preventing me from making purchase of the last few items necessary to make things run 100% from startup. Here are a few of the complications i ran into.
#1 The bolt length issue as mentioned before was a large enough pain in the ass that i did away with the phenolic spacers temporarily. Got new grd 8 bolts the same length as those in the Magna kit.
#2 Broke the IAT sensor pulling it out of the AFE air tube. No biggie, so i ordered a new one. Then i realize that the rubber grommet that seals it off tore (something i figured would come on the new sensor...nope) so it was not going to hold boost. So i go to order that and find out ,after some trouble, that in order to purchase the grommet you have to buy the entire stock intake tube. So my grommet costed $243 , AWESOME!
#3 I had been running the AFE cai but now that wont work with the new positioning of the TB in the engine bay. Thus, i began searching for a cai made specifically for the Magna (since ive seen it in several photos). Turns out that Arrington makes it and i costs a staggering $390.
#4 Wanted to continue to run the 90mm setup so i took off the intake snout of the supercharger and dropped it off at a machine shop to have it bored/honed whatever. Total cost $50 - The Supercharger Connection sells this for $450. This, although time consuming, was definantly not a complication.
My golden grommet should be here any day (says the mopar parts guy) and since it is mounted on the bottom of the supercharger tub i cant bolt anything down until its in. So we are currently at a stand still, but i do genuinely believe that i have everything (minus cai) necessary for startup. I think i may just fab up a ghetto home made air cleaner for startup purposes rather than wait for the Arrington. I have been financially restricted from ordering that until this Friday. Thats it for now. Oh and the Kenne Bell boost a pump is here but needs install so i may tackle that in the coming evenings after work.
Last edited by Jetblak6.1; 04-05-2012 at 02:58 AM.
So my part came in today and i realized that i was wrong to go through MOPAR. The stock intake tube is a maleable rubber. It had been so long that i think the grommet may have come with the AFE when i installed it over 2 years ago. I called Magna and they have the little pain in the ass piece of rubber so i will end up getting it from them. I thought it was a stock part reused with the kit, hince all the confusion. So i will wait some more
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.