TSB Question, HELP PLS! - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
1st Gen SRT8-Specific Problems/Dealer Service Please post SRT8 related problems and dealer service topics here. For non SRT8-specific topics, please post in the All Models Forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,710, Level: 1 Points: 2,710, Level: 1 Points: 2,710, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TSB Question, HELP PLS!

Good day. I purchased my 2006 SRT8 back in Nov 2011 with 22500 miles on it in VA. After taking back to NC and driving it a couple months I started to get some on the infamous squealing. I was took it into the dealer and they said it's cause of the metallic brakes and I needed to heat them up, aka bedding. Did it and it worked. I deployed for a bit, came back and now its back. I decided to take it to Meinke and come to found out the rotors are jacked, groves on back and totally gone in front, and pads to need to be replaced too. Upon researching on brakes I came across TSB 05-006-06 which came out on Aug 2, 2006 about replacing the rotors to slotted. Should this have already been done when I purchased the car? I would assume that the rotors were jacked when I brought it in to them to get checked. What do ya'll suggest? Got about 26000 mi on it now. Thanks!

Glow

Intune, Diablotune,180 T-Stat, reso delete, Frankentake IV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 54,070, Level: 1 Points: 54,070, Level: 1 Points: 54,070, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,610 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'd take the TSB paperwork (print it out) to the dealer. I knew I had the problem pretty early on (3K miles) and took it to them saying that my brake rotors looked grooved and the pads felt like they were crunching when them came into contact with the rotor. They inspected the brakes, brought up the TSB and replaced the pads and rotors, flushed the system and I was good to go.

TSB work is not free except normally for the first 12 months or 12K miles but some may extend a "Goodwill" warranty if you are a repeat customer. My point here is don't expect this to be done for free. Give the situation, though, they may give you a break on the price.

Michael
2006 300C SRT8
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

So normally these would have to be paid for? I'll have to give a dealer a call on Tuesday. I don't really have a regular dealer I go to. But I'll see what they say. I don't see how they wouldn't have replaced them before I got the car. If the standard rotor is suppose to be slotted then how could they be replaced with a flat normal one....
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No, you seem to be misunderstanding this. You have a used car. TSB work is either paid for by Chrysler or the owner, depending on how old the car is. In most cases, Chrysler paid no cost to the owner TSB work is limited to the initial warranty period on a new car. After that period, the owner usually bears the cost.

The dealer is NOT obligated to do TSB work at no cost to the owner on any car unless they can recover the cost of the TSB work from Chrysler. Remember, a dealership is an independent business.

If Chrysler won't cover the TSB work, you will pay for it.

This is not warranty work nor is it a recall situation.

My brake TSB work was done for free but I had only had the car for about 6 months and it had just a bit over 3K miles on it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Right, I see what you are saying, but I figured that over the time that the car has gone into the dealer for maintenance that they would have replaced the old style rotors with the new slotted ones called for TSB. Especially since they told me the brakes were new on it when I got it. Thanks brother for the clarification. I know mine is definitely out of the factory warranty period. I did get the extended factory warranty, wonder if that would cover it....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 29,406, Level: 1 Points: 29,406, Level: 1 Points: 29,406, Level: 1
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Sorry but brakes are only covered for 12 months/12000 miles as a wear item.

Mopar slotted rotors are available for well under 100 bucks each, see our vendor section. PM me for details, they are surprisingly cheap.

I do not recommend the stock pad for a street driven SRT8 though. It is an extremely aggressive formula and wears rotors down fast if not brought up to proper temps.

"In a democracy, dissent is an act of faith."
J. William Fulbright

Steve
06 300C SRT8 all stock
Best ET-12.79 Best trap speed-111 mph. ESP on!
I finally have my software! Happy Diablo owner.

My Favorite "old car"... 73 Super Duty 455 Trans Am - 13.08 @109 mph when brand new! Just try and find one now!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 35,262, Level: 1 Points: 35,262, Level: 1 Points: 35,262, Level: 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowworm3980 View Post
Right, I see what you are saying, but I figured that over the time that the car has gone into the dealer for maintenance that they would have replaced the old style rotors with the new slotted ones called for TSB. Especially since they told me the brakes were new on it when I got it. Thanks brother for the clarification. I know mine is definitely out of the factory warranty period. I did get the extended factory warranty, wonder if that would cover it....
Dealers don't usually look up all TSB's and perform the services just because your car is there for service. If the original owner had complained about brake issues, then they likely would have looked at doing the work under the TSB, but without a complaint from the customer, nothing is usually done. Like MADDOG said, this isn't warranty work or a recall. It was only to solve certain customer complaints.

Also, you likely won't get anywhere with your extended factory warranty as brake pads and rotors are considered wear items, not warranty items.

I've seen factory rotors as low as $70 each. Satisfied and Posi-Quiet are two brake pads I would recommend for street driving. Low dust, good braking and they last a long time. I put Satisfied pads and R1 concepts rotors on my 2012 SRT8 right after I bought it. When it comes time to sell the car, I'll put the stock equipment back on.

SoCalLX - " Where Southern California Car Culture Meets Modern Mopar Muscle"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you do swap these out, factory slotted rotors coupled with some Posi-Quiet pads is a good combination. Also, a good quality slotted rotor, such as those offered by R1 combined with those pads makes a good setup as wel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement