Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Engine bay grinding noise + vibration

37K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  Boostedgallardo 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been dealing with this annoying vibration/grinding noise that comes from my engine bay since I've purchased my 2012 SRT back in September. It only seems to happen when the engine is idling, both cold and hot. Raise the RPMs a little and the NVH goes away. The sound can be heard from inside the car, as well as felt throughout the entire car. It's not very consistent either. Has anyone else experianced this?

On a side note, does anyone's car make a sloshing sound on startup or when you rev it? Sounds like it's coming from behind the dashboard. Thanks!

#29 ·
Wow dude. Thanks for that forum. I chimed in on that one to see what's up. If it is indeed the underdrive or crank pulley making that noise it would make sense. They have rubber in them and if they are bad can cause vibration and noise. I would replace mine with a lightweight aluminum pulley that unorthodox makes. I put them in my old cars and they ran smoother and free up some HP. Mostly give you better throttle response which is noticeable. I would assume these guys were talking about the underdrive/crank pulley?

#33 · (Edited)
12srt,

I just got the car back from the dealership service center with no issues to report. The vehicle engine, tranny, and undercarriage was inspected for broken motor mounts, harmonic balancer, exhaust system, misfires and test driven for any anomalies. The service tech said everything is running the way it supposed to. He did mention that the noise sounded like it was coming out of the exhaust system and that these noises sometimes occur with the 6.4 Hemi with big exhaust systems.

I guess the good news is that I had it checked out twice at the dealer with the same conclusion noted in the Chrysler database free of charge. Sorry if this does not help your issue but please keep me posted on what your service department says about your car.

#34 ·
Yes sir. I will be taking mine there on May 20th or around there. I'm replacing the harmonic balancer with the after mkt one from http://www.highhorseperformance.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=7724 SLP but not for the horsepower gain that it says it can do. But to see if the stock one is bad. Also I spoke to another Mechanic who says water pump when going bad makes noises. Last summer I had over heating problems. It's getting hot in Texas now and will and might replace it. Underdrive pulley is pricey for what it is. My mechanic in town said he would do it for $100 in labor. So $400 to see if it fixes the issue. I'm taking the car in for lifter issues to dealer and the noise. But honestly I think dealer knows what the issues are but won't fix it because it's a warranty issue and they make zero dollars for warrant issues I believe. They are money hungry and sales driven even in service dept. I thought chrysler would pay them for warranty issue but apparentely not.

#36 ·
Well there is certainly validity to gasoline and it's quality. My mechanic said stick to chevron techron 93 supreme. Which is what I do. I did put some gulf 93 in my car and seemed more quiet. But still noticeable. What's your email bro I have some details from this dealer in Germany about these cars you might find interesting from that other thread you turned me onto?

#37 ·
Here is what they fixed on a car and this is a dealer in germany who gave me this info and it fixed that car.......

Hello Scott,

the customer complained the same issue as your car has just from the beginning of driving with the car.

It is a 2010 Challenger SRT8 with automatic transmission.

In 2015, with 59000 km, we installed the following part numbers

68062142AH engine support right

68062143AH engine support left

68084747AA transmission support

Hope that will be helpful

Greetings from Germany

#39 ·
I replaced my spark plugs, PCV and switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It eliminated the noise I was hearing. I suspect it was a lifter that may have been sticking causing the periodic clatter. I'll never know but I'm going to stick with the Pennzoil oil.

#45 ·
I never tried Royal Purple but I heard good things about it. Give it a try and let me know. I got Pennzoil ultra platinum because of the online Pepboys deal and rebate offer. AutoZone also has a sale + rebate offer on Autolite XP Iridium plugs. I try to keep cost down and see what works. I'll keep monitoring and let you know if the noise returns.

#48 ·
Found star case for this problem. I'm uploading it here. This related to the hemi tick / clatter noise we are hearing from the engine compartment. If you take a copy of this to your dealer they should fix it. Now will it fix our cars problems. That I don't know. I'm handing this to my dealer tomorrow

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.