Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Transmission Problem 300C

112K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  speedrules1 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 300C. 72400 miles. Yesterday the tranmission stopped shifting. I took it today to the dealership. Won't know what's wrong until Friday of next week due to high transmission problems at this dealership.
Anyone knows what is the usual problem when a transmission doesn't shift?

#2 ·
I might know this one does the car stay stuck in first gear? if it does then its your transmission solenoid and governer sensor i had this go out when i had my dodge ram trophy truck and the dealer got me for 600 big ones :pat:

#3 ·
Do you have any evidence of the tranny leaking? It's very common, and if it leaks enough it won't shift.

#6 ·
There is a TSB where the air conditioning drips water into the dipstick of the tranny.. If there is water in the tranny or there is something wrong with your transmission your car will not let you shift or sometimes drive the car at all. This is to protect the driver from doing anymore damage then what could possibly already be done. My advice would be go to your shop and check the transmission fluid color.. I was told that if its a brownish color that means some water has gotten into it. Im no mechanic but this has happen to me and its no bueno. Some advice i got from other forum members are on the link here http://www.300cforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/77964-only-30k-miles-broken-down.html

Good luck

#17 ·
So the saga continues on the tranny. Dealership called me this morning. There is water inside the transmission. That is what caused the connector to short and maybe also the control module. Besides this two problems the transmission should be replaced with a rebuilt one. Cost $4000. They don't know how the water got inside the tranny. Last work done on the transmission was back in March when they flushed the transmission. They say there is no connection between what they did and water in the tranny. I asked about a TSB on water inside the transmission. They say it's not related to this model. Where can I get the specifics on this particular TSB.

#19 ·
I have a 2006 chrysler 300c and my car does not go over 60 mph and stuck at 4000-5000 rpm can it be my transmission solenoid the code on the computer comes up as p0743 torque converter clutch circuit electrical. This all started when I went in a big puddle of water. Does anyone know where this solenoid is any pics advice would be great thanks a lot.

#23 ·
Does anyone know where the solenoid on transmission is code p0743 many thanks.
There are multiple trans solenoids in the electrohydraulic control unit including:

MODULATING PRESSURE REGULATING SOLENOID VALVE
SHIFT PRESSURE REGULATING SOLENOID
3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID
TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK-UP SOLENOID
1-2/4-5 SHIFT SOLENOID
2-3 SHIFT SOLENOID

Signals from the transmission control module (TCM) are converted into hydraulic functions in the electric valve control unit. The RPM sensors, starter interlock contact, and transmission oil temperature sensor of the electric valve control unit supply the TCM with input signals. The solenoid valves are controlled by the TCM and trigger the hydraulic functions.

#21 ·
The speed sensors are located on the electrical portion of the transmission valve body and are the most common cause of a no shift condition in our cars. The valve body is a two piece unit comprising of a metal block of passages and springs (which never really 'fail' but do get dirty) and an electrical portion (conductor plate) that houses the shift solenoids and the speed sensors. This unit snaps onto the 'metal portion' of the valve body and is located under the transmission pan.... There are multiple solenoids and two speed sensors... usually the speed sensors go due to a poor design, these cause codes and no shift issues. Unusual for the shift solenoids to go but they definitely can! All are located on the conductor plate... my advice if your opening the trans to change a solenoid is to search 722.6 Conductor plate on Ebay and pick up a whole new conductor plate... they sell for around $150-350 (or $700 at the dealer!). Change out the solenoids from your old one (obviously replacing the diagnosed bad one if any) and put it back together... new fluid and voila!

#22 ·
The TSB was for a leaky connector seal allowing fluid residue to appear on the ouside of the connector. I had mine replaced at a quality dealer (Allen Samuels Dodge in Katy, Texas) and if they charged me anything it was so little I don't remember it.

Doesn't seem related to your issues, though. Hope the situation improves. And remember some dealers are unscrupulous. I've got 2 "stealerships" right close, so I drive 23 miles each way for honest, quality service.

#25 ·
My 2008 300C did basically the same thing on the way to church 2 sundays ago, I stopped at a red lite and I heard a chime, ACC not availible, it went out but when I attempted to move it acted like it was in neutral and started to roll back, I shifted to park and back to drive and it still didnt want to move, a few more cycles and I got it to go but it wouldnt shift out of 1st, side of the road, on to church, attempted to back into a space, again like its in neutral, into park and then to reverse it moved, after church no problems. I took it to the dealer the next day, oh you have to have an appointment to have it diagnosed, ok 10 tomorrow. tomorow arrives I show up at 10 we'll call you if theres a problem, wait you made me wait an entire day just to park it in the lot and you'll get to it when you can, and oh by the way we want 139.00 to find out whats wrong, Im pissed but ok call me. Next day no call, the day after no call, I call them, leave a message, they finally call and say come get it and dont forget the 139.00, I get down there and its we were'nt able to duplicate the problem you described, dont know what went wrong, gimme my money. Then she tells me we need to crack the tranny and do a flush and hydro fluid swap along with filter, because the fluid smells burnt, and if we find any shavings we will have to replace the tranny, 4000.00, lady give me my keys, I will never let you touch my car again. HOW do you see/smell tranny fluid in a car that doesnt have a dipstick, or maybe they think Im the dipstick. you gotta crack it open to determine these things, which they did not. NO its just another stealership trying to get me to bite. Oh they wanted 270.00 more to do the flush/filter/swap, I took it to AAMCO and they charged me 150.00. TODAY the same exact thing happened at the same red lite, ACC NOT AVAILIBLE, it goes off, I try to go and it rolls back, side of the road, no matter how many times I shift back to park, it will not shift out of 1st, brought it back home, back to AAMCO tuesday, after reading these post Im confident of the problem, but I want to hear what they tell me. Nice to have prior knowledge before going in to shop. I had this happen to me on a Chevelle back in the early 70's I had just bought the car used the day before, took it back, in the shop 30 minutes, never had another problem, they said the kick down module had gone bad, and one other thing can I replace it myself. Thanks

#27 ·
2005 transmission

As stated prior, more info is definitely needed.

If it won't shift out of Park, it could be several things.
If it comes out of Park, but won't move at all, a whole different set of possibilities.

I recently had an issue where the transmission would intermittently go into 'limp mode'. It would drive, but was stuck in 2nd gear. Sometimes turning off and restarting would work. I also had it turn Reverse into a neutral gear a couple of times. But I also got a code for the speed output sensor.

I have an 05 300C AWD with the Nag1 trans, so this was inside of the trans requiring removal of the pan and valve body. Found it for $90 on Amazon. Also had to buy a dipstick, as the car doesn't come with one. Changed it out on a Saturday and no problems since.

Again, be as specific as you can with the symptoms and you will get some help on here. But without the information, it's very hard to advise.

#29 ·
If it is the solenoids switch them out for blue top amg....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.