Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Squealing Noise at low RPM

12K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  endoklowd 
#1 ·
Hey guys I've only had my 2012 SRT 300 for a few weeks now. There's a definite squeak if I rev the engine (dealer says exhaust valve I'm supposed to take it back in to them to look at), but my other concern which I believe is more important is this engine squeal. While taking off from a stop or after reapplying throttle after coasting at most speeds between 1k-2k RPM there is a constant squeal. If I add more throttle, it goes away, if I pulse the throttle I can make it stop and start again. I was thinking it might be the belt but I checked it and with 40k on the motor it still looks brand new. Then I thought alternator bearing? Except that the issue isn't constant. Any ideas what it might be?

#4 ·
At 40K miles it's probably the serpentine belt. With the proper socket and a ratchet or breaker bar it is easy.

Changing the tensioner pulley is a bit more involved.

Start with just replacing the belt and go from there.

Reactions: SRTDoodzer
#5 ·
Update

So I replaced the belt, although it seemed to be in great condition, with a Continental "Gatorback" basically. Squeak lives. Replaced the tensioner as well. Squeak lives. ::frown::

I'm wondering if it's a pulley or pulley alignment? The pulley in the middle of the engine has a very slight amount of play. Not sure which pulley that is as I'm new to the 392. It's the top middle pulley. The other fear I have is that it's the timing belt, or do these have a timing chain like my Caliber SRT4 had?

#7 ·
No, not even close. I've been all over youtube, google, and always try to fix things before I ask for help. I already replaced the belt and tensioner, I also flipped the exhaust valves to stop part of the squeak. The dealer looked at it with chassis ears and has no idea what it is. Someone else mentioned it might be the intake. I've already cleaned and reoiled my drop in K&N, checked for leaks in the pipe and tightened all the screws....still a squeak. I can't record it I don't know how I would. This is NOT a belt issue. Thanks.

#9 ·
#8 ·
These engines are on a timing chain right? Don't shoot me if this is a dumb idea because I don't know if it's safe to do, but maybe research on removing the belt entirely, just start it and see if you have the issue or not? That'd would eliminate all accessories, pulleys, tensioners, belt alignment issues, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.