Originally Posted by blk300limited
I took a look at my headlights today and the paint is starting to bubble right underneath the projector. that said, i would buy a separate paint and primer. Try and get a high temp spray paint of you can.
What sux is that im eventually going to have to crack them open and do it all over again.
I've painted a few headlights in my time and have always taken these steps which have helped me to avoid paint problems.
1. lightly scuff area(s) to be painted with 3M Scotch Brite pad (Red one)
2. Wash item to be painted with mild dish soap/Let dry
3. Wipe item to be painted with denatured alcohol/Let dry (Use latex gloves)
4. 2-3 coats of approprite colored primer/Allowing 10min between each application. (San Diego rule of thumb. LOL)
5. 3-4 coats of High Temp paint (Engine/BBQ).
I've also always ran a bead of high temp silicone to combat condensation, which seems to be a big issues with our headlights.