Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Difference between 300, 300S & 300C?

243K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Hollerback60 
#1 ·
not including price can anyone tell me the differences between a 300, 300s or 300c and why I'd want to pick one over the other? I was planning to go with the standard 300 AWD with a GPS, to keep my costs down.. What's special about the S or C that makes em pricier?

#3 ·
The 300 is the base model V6 with different interior / electrical package upgrades available.

The 300S has an upscale interior and wheels and is available in both the 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine or 5.7L V8 HEMI engine

The 300C has the 5.7L V8 HEMI engine and is available with different interiors & wheels including the John Varvatos Collection

The 300 SRT8 has the 470 Horsepower 6.4L HEMI V8 and the SRT interior, wheels, and electronics.

#4 · (Edited)
If I we're answering that question to someone that only had a few minutes and didn't know much about cars (I am imagining my mom.. lol) would answer it like this:

(I would first say that NONE of them come with options like a sunroof, the lighting package or the safety tech package.. I would research those three options and realize you can add them to any version of the car)

300 is the base model. If you are looking for the best value a don't need or expect anything fancy in a car this would be the one to first look at. I think leather is standard now even on the base model but double check.

300S is the "cool look" version with a more aggressive styling and hip set of options like a more aggressive sounding engine and blacked out headlights. If you wanted a car with cooler, hip styling this would be the car to look at.

300C is the "standard deluxe" version with a lot of extra things included (and it USED TO BE the one that included the BIG V8 engine but can be purchased with a v6 now). If you were wanting more of a luxury sedan and were open to paying for one this would be where to look.

300C LUXURY is the "super deluxe" version with a few upgraded interior and exterior details. If you wanted the most luxurious 300C you could get and were more interested in luxury than performance this would be the one to look at.

300C SRT8 is the highest performance model -- this is the one if you want a big muscle sports car. It ONLY comes with a big giant V8 engine and would be the car you would want if you were to want to take your car out to a race track on the weekends or REALLY race around on the streets. If the most important thing to you was a super high performance car and you were willing to a pay a premium this is the version to look at.

Hope at helps! Good luck with your research. This forum is a great resource to answer questions of clarify confusion.. Don't hesitate to ask even what you think are dumb questions..

#14 ·
300C SRT8 is the highest performance model -- this is the one if you want a big muscle sports car. It ONLY comes with a big giant V8 engine and would be the car you would want if you were to want to take your car out to a race track on the weekends or REALLY race around on the streets. If the most important thing to you was a super high performance car and you were willing to a pay a premium this is the version to look at.
Mostly true but you make it sound like an old hot rod with that description and that's not true.

The SRT8, in addition to sporting the largest HEMI in the group (392 cu. in/6.4L, 470 HP) also comes equipped with a very upscale complement of amenities. You won't need to look very far into the option packages available to find something that isn't already installed on the car.

A big bruiser? Certainly. Refined? Mostly. Let's just say it's muscle clad in a silk tuxedo.

#5 ·
Thanks .. I don't really know a whole lot about cars :)

I guess I should stick with the base 300 and just add the AWD and GPS like I was planning on. I test drove a 300S and it was great, but I don't know if I need the extra bling. C and above will be out of my price range. I'm hoping to keep it at or slightly above $35k with some negotiating.

Currently I'm in a 2010 Ford escape, before that was a Jeep wrangler, but I'm getting old now and I just want comfort. Thanks to my side biz, once or twice a year I'm going to be making a long trip to conventions about 650 miles away, so what I'm really looking for the most is something really comfortable for those long 10 hour drives. Along with AWD for the occasional snow day and a GPS since I never ask for directions.

#29 ·
I test drove a 300S and it was great, but I don't know if I need the extra bling.
From a 300S owner: I'll bet you strictly don't "need" a Chrysler 300 series either. YOU have to eventually live with the car (or whatever item you acquire), don't neglect to also think about what you want...

Ultimately and to be fair (to yourself), please visit the Chrysler website and make a FULL comparison of features (and then features-per-dollar) for the entire line. Knowledge is a powerful thing. Enjoy! ::smile::

#9 ·
Yeah. That was a big change this year and a lot of hard-core 300 C drivers don't like the fact that thier 300C badge is no longer synonymous with a big HEMI. I can see where they are coming from but the V-6 pentastar engine is SUCH a great engine it's hard to think Chrysler should not make it at least an option.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
Necros,

Best of luck with your research and purchase. They really upgraded the standard 300 model in 2013 so it's a great time to make a purchase.

I would DEFINITELY think twice about getting a "great deal" on a 2012 because in addition to upgrading the standard features on the new 2013s You also can get (for the first time) all-wheel-drive on a 300. Previous years this option was not available on the entry-level. While the price of the standard 301 up a bit (a little over $2000) now it comes standard with the really nice V-6 engine and with not just leather seats but heated leather seats. A nice feature if its cold enough that you are needing all wheel drive. :)

As for choosing between a model if you are looking for something a little more conservative I think it's very reasonable to determine the 300S isn't quite the car for you. However, my Dad ended up getting a very, very good deal on a 2012 300C with the sticker at $45k and the final negotiated price coming in just above $36k. Obviously with taxes and registration and all of the fees it comes in well above $36k but there is quite a bit of negotiation room there and you end up with an absolutely amazing car for the price. But you are trying to get out the door for around $36k you will get a great value (and a great car!) if you stick with the 300.

If you like white give the pearl white a look. It's a $500 option but a gorgeous color and looks great with a light interior.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
Wow .. your dad did pretty good. Was that after a trade in too? or did he just convince them to take $9k off? :)

I'm really not the negotiating type :( In fact I hate the whole car buying processes. That whole "let me go talk to my manager" thing 27 different times just gets old fast. I found a couple of local dealers that have "internet prices" that are 2-3k lower than sticker, same when I tried truecar.com (and then got calls from 80 different dealers) .. so that's about what I was gonna shoot for.

#12 ·
Yea, you can get some smoking deals on these cars if you shoot for the end of the year. Even very low mileage used ones. I bought my 11' 300C in the middle of the year this year with 10K on the odometer. It has everything but safety tech on it for 32K. 10 grand off for 10K miles, ill take it. weigh all your options.

#16 ·
Yeah, I read where you needed to be. Good luck with the search!

As far as being afraid to drive the beast, it had been a long time since I had experienced that kind of power in a street machine. But after a while, I got used to it and started looking for more! :D

#24 ·
Get a 300 brochure from a Chrysler dealer and it lists the extra features over each model as you go from one to the other and lists nicely what is optional for each model. Its near the back of the brochure. If you want detailed technical differences ie suspension etc there is a sticky pdf listing at the top of this section that goes into it.

#25 ·
300 Touring

I own a 2006; looking to sell it (66,700 miles) and buy a 2014 Touring or C; The Touring is the one above the base, with a larger engine; Every where I read about the base (when I bought mine), it said the car is a bit too heavy for the base engine..
I'm very happy with my Touring

#26 ·
I own a 2006; looking to sell it (66,700 miles) and buy a 2014 Touring or C; The Touring is the one above the base, with a larger engine; Every where I read about the base (when I bought mine), it said the car is a bit too heavy for the base engine..
I'm very happy with my Touring
The base engine is now a 292 hp Pentastar V6 paired with an 8 speed transmission. Even if you're coming from a 2006 Hemi I don't think you're going to be disappointed with the V6, 0-60 times in the mid six second range. Now that my Firestones are well worn fishtailing on hard acceleration :drive: is common.

#28 ·
For gen II the base engine as mentioned is the 292 hp 3.6 v6 and nothing like the base engine in gen I. The only difference these days in the trim levels are the options you get.

I don't think anyone (other than previous hemi owners) could call themselves disappointed by the performance of the 3.6. In fact, I came from a hemi to the v6 and I'm very pleased with the car. What I couldn't give up (and didn't) were the options that came with the "C" trim level.

#30 ·
I actually like the base model and only bought a 300C because I wanted the V-8 (not available in the base 300) AND vented seats (also not available in the base model, but standard in the 300C).

The standard base model 300 is a great car and a fantastic value. I am a very careful shopper and literally spent months researching, shopping, and test-driving a wide variety of cars before I purchased and if I could have had a V-8 in the base model 300 that's what I'd be driving right now. And once you add the SafetyTec package to the base 300 you get most of the extra doodads that come standard on the 300C.

I see that a lot of people really like the 300S, and that's fine, but some of us don't like 20-inch wheels, don't care for the S interior, and can take or leave the look.

Now, if Chrysler would have let me sit down and build my own model, mixing and matching features from various cars, I'd basically be driving a Base 300 with some S features (I love the black chrome) and some C features (seats!). Alas, not like the good old says when you could order everything ala cart...

#31 ·
It's fun driving our gen 1 and gen 2 back to back, both are awesome car's. Only reason we picked up the 2014 was it's the last year of the Hemi and AWD together. The new features on the '14 C are pretty awesome, love the huge glass roof, safety pkg...ect

A friend of ours has a '12 3.6 AWD and it's a very nice car but a little light on power.

#33 ·
We bought the 300C 5.7 and never looked back. When we need another I'll look for another 300C 5.7.

Wife drove it 200 miles yesterday and with in town traffic and interstate driving got 27 mpg. Cooled seats and cup holders
are nice items to have.

We traded an E500 Mercedes that fell apart as we drove it for the 300C and it was best decision. 300C after 35000 miles has only had the cruise on off button on the steering wheel replaced.

Oil consumption using ULTRA 5W20 is about 1 qt every 7000 miles.

One Item we didn't buy and won't is the sun roof. Just a PITA to maintain with nylon parts and some day when the plastic gets brittle it will break while open.

Otherwise I think the 300C is the best deal going if you want a really nice car.

#36 ·
Have never had a problem with the sunroof in 121k miles on our 2006 300C, and are excited to utilize the panoramic sun roof in the new 2015 300C Platinum we just brought home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.