Originally Posted by JUST KRUIZIN
Very nice....what grillcraft is that the mx...and how about a little info on the process of doin the lights....am interested in same but scared s..tless with all the crap on it baking it..Some info could help..
Haha not a problem, I actually did a bit of research on the melting point of all the electrical. Ill list exactly what I did and add that maybe I only succeeded through luck, so don't blame me if it turns into metal goop
Ill skip the removal of the bumper as there are already better guides out there.
1- Remove the dust caps from the back of the headlight assembly, unscrew the bulbs and keep them in a safe place.
2- Pre-heat oven (I used Convection Bake) to 250º, make sure you turn the oven off, then set the headlight assembly inside. Even if you can fit both, I'd only recommend doing one at a time.
3-I heated them for 8 minutes, then gently pried them apart with a flat blade screwdriver. Still needed more work, so i reheated oven to 250 and put them back in for 3 minutes. There are little clips holding the halves together, Id recommend peeling those back first. The sealant will be soft at this point so once you get maybe 25-50% started, you can peel it apart with your hands. I used a knife to slice the stringy bits that held together.
4- Once separated, its just a screw job. Theres 9-10 screws you need to remove, thankfully they are all the same size
. All you want is the frame like in th picture I posted. I used a 600 grit sand paper and scraped off every bit of chrome i could.
5- Wiped it down with Dawn dish soap, rinsed it, then sprayed it with a 500º matte black BBQ paint. No primer needed/recommended. 4 coats with 10-15 mins between each, then waited 90minutes before re-assembling.
6- I baked the second one while the first was drying. While I had the 2nd one drying, I re-baked both halves of the first. 250º for 8 minutes, then after seeing the sorry state i left the manufacturers sealant in, I ran some high temp silicone along the whole thing before putting it back together. I let it cool off before putting the bulbs and dust caps back on.
I think that was all, my method could probably b improved upon but if you have questions, let me know.
Sidenote: in my stupidity, i was loosening a big black screw on the assembly. After I took her for a testdrive, and had oncoming traffic flash their lights at me 100x, I realized that was the levelling screw.