2nd Gen 300 - HID Projector Retrofit - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
2nd Generation Chrysler 300 Discussion This is the area for discussion of the new 2nd generation Chrysler 300.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Points: 14,538, Level: 1 Points: 14,538, Level: 1 Points: 14,538, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300 Limited
2nd Gen 300 - HID Projector Retrofit

I FINALLY finished my HID projector retrofit last week. It was definitely more involved than what I figured it would be, but I wouldn't say that it was super difficult, it was just quite time consuming. It took me about 2 days to complete, including all of the minor distractions that occur while trying to get work done with family running all around.

THE REASON

Well, quite frankly I was disappointed in the stock halogen light's output. I don't know whether that's because I've been running around with HIDs for the past 5 years or so, but I wanted something better. I was originally planning on just throwing an HID kit into the stock projector lights, but I didn't just want something brighter. I wanted the whole beam pattern to be different. I wanted it to be wider, more evenly distributed, and I wanted a sharp cutoff line. The only way to do that was to change out the halogen projectors with projectors designed specifically for HID bulbs.

I didn't want to try and get the factory HID lights put into my car mainly because of the extremely high cost, but also because I know a few people have tried and failed. Plus, I figured that I could probably get even better performance than stock (with exception to having auto-leveling and the "adaptive" feature) for a LOT less money.

THE DETAILS

Besides mounting hardware and such, I bought everything from The Retrofit Source.

FX-R Stage III Kit:

- Projectors: FX-R 3.0 Bi-Xenon (3" lens)
- Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five 35W
- Bulbs: Morimoto XB35 D2S (5000k)
- Wiring: Morimoto Mopar-specific Relay Harness (9006)

Total Price: $330

I ended up paying about $270 because TRS had a 20% off sale for July 4th.

Add about $25 for mounting hardware and such and we're just under $300.

RESULTS

Comparison

Stock Halogens

After Retrofit

High-low Comparison

I'm not quite finished with final aiming, but I'd say that we're about 95% there. Might as well get it perfect considering the time and money spent.

Road Output

SUMMARY OF STEPS TO COMPLETE

1) Remove bumper cover, then headlights.
2) Bake headlights (I did it at 200 degrees, 12 min.) then pull plastic lenses off of housing.
3) MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Measure where the stock projector sits within the housing. Make markings, double-check; must be super accurate in order to avoid headaches later on.
4) Remove stock projector. Drill holes for new projector. Mount new projector. (I used the JnC method, look it up here: JnC's Mounting Method)
5) Mount headlights on car (w/out lenses) to make sure the projector's beam is close to where it should be.
6) Re-bake headlights to put lenses back on. Make sure everything is sealed properly to avoid condensation issues.
7) Mount headlights back onto car. Find a flat surface and white wall and make final aiming adjustments.
8) Put bumper cover back on. DONE!

CONCLUSION

I'm definitely happy with the final result. The pictures honestly don't do it justice. The lights are brighter, wider, and the light output is much more even than before. Although it is a LOT more work than just putting an HID kit into the stock projectors, I feel like the result is more than worth it.

When I get a chance I would like to head down to the dealership so that I can take some output shots from a 300 with stock HIDs so that I can compare it to my setup.

I apologize for the lack of pictures during this project, I was so into it that I forgot to take some progress pictures! Feel free to ask me any questions though!

2012 300 Limited (White/Beige)
Current Mods: HID Projector Retrofit (FX-R, 35W, 5000k), LED exterior lighting, F1 Classic Tint (50%,20%), Infinity Speakers
Future Mods: Add RB5 (NAV), OEM 20" wheels, Exhaust, SRT Spoiler

Last edited by pdyebrasil; 08-13-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Finished project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Points: 1,409, Level: 1 Points: 1,409, Level: 1 Points: 1,409, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Car: 2011 Chysler 300C
Very nice. Nice cutoff and color. Looks like TL projectors. Bravo.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300S
So is this a full retrofit? Are you replacing the projectors as well, or just installing a HID kit?

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFluff View Post
Very nice. Nice cutoff and color. Looks like TL projectors. Bravo.
Why thank you. I'm glad that they look like TL projectors They are actually FX-R 3.0

I was debating for some time on whether to pony up the extra dough for the TLs, but in the end I wasn't sure if they would fit or whether I'd be able to cover up that monster solenoid. So I figured I'd give the FX-Rs a try.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenS View Post
So is this a full retrofit? Are you replacing the projectors as well, or just installing a HID kit?
Yes sir, this will be a full projector retrofit. I'll be replacing the stock halogen projectors with FX-R HID projectors. I plan on running 5000K bulbs with 35W ballasts, but I may experiment with some 50W ballasts I have already.

The main reason I want to switch out the projectors is because I'm not happy with the beam pattern on the stock projectors. I've seen some output shots from people that have put an HID kit in, and while it is brighter, the beam pattern remains the same. I think the biggest improvement I'll see (besides being brighter than halogens) is that I'll have a lot more width. Plus I love having that super sharp cutoff as well.

I did a projector retrofit into my '98 4Runner about 5 years ago, so I've been used to have some pretty amazing headlights. Every time I drive the 300 at night I'm really bothered that my brand new car's headlights aren't half as good as my 15 year old car's. To be honest though I was planning on doing this project probably before we even bought the car
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300S
I'm interested to see the progress on this. I just recently installed an aftermarket 6000K 35W HID kit in my 300 and I'm happy with the brightness. I wouldn't want to go any higher than 35W. I agree that the cutoff for the stock projectors is not a desireable as I would have liked, but I'm willing to live with it.

Maybe consider doing some white plasma halo's while you have your headlights apart...Oracle has a dual white/amber halo as well that would be a great upgrade.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenS View Post
Maybe consider doing some white plasma halo's while you have your headlights apart...Oracle has a dual white/amber halo as well that would be a great upgrade.
Yeah I've been trying to think of ways I could get a unique look on the headlights... but I think this time around I'm just going to get the new projectors in and hooked up. I will definitely change things up in the future, knowing me I was thinking about painting the bezel black, doing LED halos, or even modifying the DRL so that it flashed amber with the turn signals... All sorts of ideas. But I won't even know exactly how I'm going to mount these projectors in there until I open up the lights, so I think we'll take things one step at a time.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Points: 1,300, Level: 1 Points: 1,300, Level: 1 Points: 1,300, Level: 1

Car: 2012 CHRYSLER 300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil View Post
Yeah I've been trying to think of ways I could get a unique look on the headlights... but I think this time around I'm just going to get the new projectors in and hooked up. I will definitely change things up in the future, knowing me I was thinking about painting the bezel black, doing LED halos, or even modifying the DRL so that it flashed amber with the turn signals... All sorts of ideas. But I won't even know exactly how I'm going to mount these projectors in there until I open up the lights, so I think we'll take things one step at a time.

HELP!!!
I have a 2012 300S V6 with stock headlights, that look like a projector? switching to high beam, It sounds and looks like a "shutter" is switching to hi beam.
ON THE ROAD, my observations are as follows:
regular is "fine"...that is, they work like headlights.
High beam SUX! It almost seams like the headlights are aimed too high, I see very little difference from lo to hi except on street signs sometimes illuminated further up the road. Is this normal and correct?

What should I look into? I would like better lo beam of course, but also the high beam. I am not concerned with the color headlights as much as doing a better job. What will this end up costing me? I had a car with xenon lights and miss them dearly.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoray View Post
What should I look into? I would like better lo beam of course, but also the high beam. I am not concerned with the color headlights as much as doing a better job. What will this end up costing me? I had a car with xenon lights and miss them dearly.
Well if you wanted to upgrade to HID it will cost you about $100-$150 for a quality HID kit. This will basically get you brighter bulbs which may or may not alleviate your problem. It is "plug 'n play", basically you just wire everything up, put the new bulbs in and you're done.

I ended up spending about $300 on my project. This got me new HID projectors, ballasts, bulbs, and harness. I had to open up the headlights, drill and cut some holes, mount the new projectors, put it all back together, and then aim everything properly. Definitely a lot more work, but the light output is MUCH better than the PnP kits.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quick update:

I have finished! I am very happy with the results. It did turn out to be a lot more involved than I expected, but it was definitely worth it. I'll try and get some good output shots put up soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement