I FINALLY finished my HID projector retrofit last week. It was definitely more involved than what I figured it would be, but I wouldn't say that it was super difficult, it was just quite time consuming. It took me about 2 days to complete, including all of the minor distractions that occur while trying to get work done with family running all around.
Well, quite frankly I was disappointed in the stock halogen light's output. I don't know whether that's because I've been running around with HIDs for the past 5 years or so, but I wanted something better. I was originally planning on just throwing an HID kit into the stock projector lights, but I didn't just want something brighter. I wanted the whole beam pattern to be different. I wanted it to be wider, more evenly distributed, and I wanted a sharp cutoff line. The only way to do that was to change out the halogen projectors with projectors designed specifically for HID bulbs.
I didn't want to try and get the factory HID lights put into my car mainly because of the extremely high cost, but also because I know a few people have tried and failed. Plus, I figured that I could probably get even better performance than stock (with exception to having auto-leveling and the "adaptive" feature) for a LOT less money.
Besides mounting hardware and such, I bought everything from The Retrofit Source.
FX-R Stage III Kit:
- Projectors: FX-R 3.0 Bi-Xenon (3" lens)
- Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five 35W
- Bulbs: Morimoto XB35 D2S (5000k)
- Wiring: Morimoto Mopar-specific Relay Harness (9006)
Total Price: $330
I ended up paying about $270 because TRS had a 20% off sale for July 4th.
Add about $25 for mounting hardware and such and we're just under $300.
I'm not quite finished with final aiming, but I'd say that we're about 95% there. Might as well get it perfect considering the time and money spent.
SUMMARY OF STEPS TO COMPLETE
1) Remove bumper cover, then headlights.
2) Bake headlights (I did it at 200 degrees, 12 min.) then pull plastic lenses off of housing.
3) MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Measure where the stock projector sits within the housing. Make markings, double-check; must be super accurate in order to avoid headaches later on.
4) Remove stock projector. Drill holes for new projector. Mount new projector. (I used the JnC method, look it up here: JnC's Mounting Method
5) Mount headlights on car (w/out lenses) to make sure the projector's beam is close to where it should be.
6) Re-bake headlights to put lenses back on. Make sure everything is sealed properly to avoid condensation issues.
7) Mount headlights back onto car. Find a flat surface and white wall and make final aiming adjustments.
8) Put bumper cover back on. DONE!
I'm definitely happy with the final result. The pictures honestly don't do it justice. The lights are brighter, wider, and the light output is much more even than before. Although it is a LOT more work than just putting an HID kit into the stock projectors, I feel like the result is more than worth it.
When I get a chance I would like to head down to the dealership so that I can take some output shots from a 300 with stock HIDs so that I can compare it to my setup.
I apologize for the lack of pictures during this project, I was so into it that I forgot to take some progress pictures! Feel free to ask me any questions though!