Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Wheel Lock Imbalance?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  ron6468 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has heard of or experienced wheel vibration due to Chrysler wheel locks. Ive had this vibration for the last couple months always starting at 60mph plus and couldn't trace it down. Not that it makes a difference but the wheels are the19" 300 S AWD. They were balance tested and the drivetrain checked out with no results. Then the other day I remembered I had installed the locks and the timing seems suspicious. Going to remove them this weekend and test it out. Just seems strange as Ive had locks on other cars that were no problem.

#4 ·
I actually have experienced this, but with Gorilla locks, not Chrysler. I put one Gorilla lock on each of my wife's 2013 Tire Rack snow wheel/tire combo that WAS road force balanced by Tire Rack. I could not get rid of a slight shake over 60 mph. It then dawned on my that the lock may weigh more or less than the other lugs. So I put all the locks on (they came as a set of 20) and problem gone.

Some wheels are extremely sensitive to this sort of thing, and others aren't. But if they are Chrysler locks, you'd think they would have manufactured them very close to the OEM lug weight......

#7 ·
As I referenced above, if you still want locks, Gorilla sells them in sets of 20 which would also be vibration free. I have that setup and like it.

#9 · (Edited)
You put one on each lug on each wheel. That way each lug nut weighs the same and eliminates balancing issues. Many wheels are ok with just one lock, but in cases like yours, and my wife's 200, I couldn't get rid of the vibration with just one lock. Put the same lock on each lug and problem solved.

Gorilla calls it a "system" on their website.
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/the-system

Reactions: ron6468
#10 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing certain types of wheels just don't balance with one lock nut per wheel. My 300S wheels are fairly heavy for alloys with a full spoke design. Maybe works better with more open spoke types. I'll try installing them on my Magnum as I dont have any locks on those alloys. If that doesnt work either, Im back to the dealer for a refund.

#11 ·
I for one have had many cars with both custom wheels (costing $1000) each and factory wheels. I've never had anyone even attempt to steel the wheels off of a car I have owned and don't have any friends who have had wheels stolen either. I live in NY on Long Island. I believe the wheel lock manufacturers just love to sell locks when the theft rate on wheels is almost nil compared to the number of cars/trucks out there. If someone really wants your wheels no wheel lock is going to stop them from using an air chisel from cutting the lock off.

#12 ·
I look at it as cheap insurance for the punks that may move on to the next car if they're thinking about it.

I've never had anyone try to steal my car, but I lock it anyway.

#13 ·
Agree, it's one of those things you know won't happen but you do it anyway ....... just in case.
All the years i've owned cars with nice wheels, this is actually the first time i've ever used them - and that didn't work out very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.