Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Window Trim and Side Mirrors Painted

12K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  duanebonney 
#1 ·
While I'm waiting for my 22" wheels to be finished at the powder coaters, I decided to finally have the Chrome window trim and side mirrors painted on my 300S, so that is completed already when the wheels go on.

Having an S model there was not a whole lot of chrome on the car from the factory. Now that my window trim is bright white, the only chrome I have left on the car are the fog bezels and front grill. I will address painting those when I buy the SRT8 front fascia later on.

I had the window trim painted in matching Bright White. These trim pieces (at the top of each window) are thin and flimsy and I've read where others had trouble handling them. My painter agreed and painted the top trim pieces while on the car. The trim pieces at the bottom of each window remove from the car for painting without to much hassel. I also had the side mirrors painted in gloss black to match the gloss black B pillars.

See less See more
Reactions: GenoTex
#5 ·
I always leave the areas near the windows in gloss black ie side mirrors and B pillars. It gives the look of one long window instead of 2 separate windows (how it would look with white B pillars)

I did the same look on my magnum. We painted the C pillar area in gloss black to bring the third side window into the mix with the front 2 windows giving all the side windows a one window look.

#6 ·
Yes the car has been lowered since the first month of ownership. I went with the BC Racing adjustable coilovers.

This is the first set of 22 I had on the 300S

This is a photoshop of what the newer set of wheels will look like

Reactions: ***Q2***
#10 · (Edited)
Nicely done.

I will do my window trim and the grill with gloss black plastidip tomorrow. + exhaust tips. Also my decals have arrived for the taillights so I will be installing those also tomorrow.

#14 ·
I love how the faux exhaust tips are removable as I had those powder coated white the first week I had the car. What decals did you order for your taillights please post when you have them installed.

#11 ·
Sweet just fabulous. Has the rear spoiler/deck lid been added? If so where did you get it, thanks for sharing

#12 ·
I added the factory 300SRT spoiler to my 300S, after searching all the aftermarket spoilers out there I still felt (for the first time in my life) that a factory spoiler looked better than the aftermarkets. Fit was perfect I did not drill holes in the trunk lid to attach the spoiler I used 3M double sided tape on the entire underside of the spoiler and the spoiler has not lifted or moved and it has been on the car since summer 2012.

If you do add a spoiler to your 300 that did not come with a spoiler read this thread I posted on how to get the auto open trunk to work again after adding a spoiler.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/2n...ix-after-adding-srt8-aftermarket-spoiler.html

#16 ·
No it will only fit the gen II 300 which has more of a curved trunk lid than the more squared off gen I trunk lid

I took the factory SRT spoiler off my gen I 3SRT as I felt it looked better without a spoiler.

#17 ·
Car looks great, you got good style man! I gotta couple questions if you don't mind.

I see you have a rear window visor, is that the one from eBay or did you get that else where? Was it pre-painted?

What % tint do you have on your windows?

And third what was the cost of getting your trim/mirror pieces painted?

I'm looking to get my ride tinted and trim painted/overlayed and I'm not sure what good prices are. I mean this one guy quoted me on applying laminx to front and rear lights (I have the pre cut film already) at 125$ a set?? Wth.. But he has the tint I want. :\

#21 ·
Nice work!

#23 ·
As always, well done man. :fing02:

#24 · (Edited)
Hi Freebird,

Do you know what kind of paint he used for the window trim?

Talking to a couple of experienced automotive painters, the chrome trim cannot be painted on directly. The paint will start to flake, otherwise.
They need to be taken off and prepped, which is very costly and time consuming.

That's why I'm getting mine wrapped.

I really dislike my chrome trim, and looking in to wrapping them black, which is the colour they are SUPPOSED to be from the factory. (dumb ass Aussie Chrysler importer!)

Duane

#25 ·
Freebird - love your ride man. Its pretty much everything I want to do to my new S. I have been looking at suspension, roof and SRT trunk spoiler in addition to blacking out my roof since I bought my car a few months ago. I haven't been able to find a roof spoiler that matches my taste - the ones I saw on ebay are curved vs the flat squared off look. Where did you pick yours up from, and did you get it pre-painted or take it to a shop to have it matched?

Also how is the ride quality on your coils? I'm torn between getting lowering springs to drop it ~1-1.5 in and preserve the ride quality vs getting coils and my car riding like its on rails. I had full suspension on my accord and so far Im enjoying the butteryness of the S suspension, it just NEEDS to sit lower.

For all you plasti-dippers: How is the finish on the paint? I have no experience with dip but I want to black out my badges and wings but would like something that is semi-permanent or at least require little maintenance. For some reason I have this idea that dip will be very sticky and living in Arizona will collect a lot of dust.

#27 · (Edited)
plastidip is great for badges. I've applied black plastidip and glossifier to protect it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.