Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

3.6L Catback: Borla or Magnaflow?

26K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  whyh8 
#1 ·
Hi. Was wondering what opinions there were between the Borla and Magnaflow catbacks for the 3.6L pentastar.

Looking for a little better sounding exhaust without drone - nothing super loud (i know there probably won't be any hp gains)....

Have found these sound clips:

Magnaflow:
Magnaflow Exhaust 2 1 - YouTube

Borla:
3.6 Pentastar Borla sound 002 - YouTube

Here in Canada, the Borla is $500 more than the Maganflow... worth it?

#4 ·
I wanted this but was never sure if they will make drone or not and I don't want to hear a lot of sound from inside , I just want people to turn their heads to the sound but not like a shitty infiniti exhaust sound. Some people wrote my wife can't even get it in the car after res delete some say its good. Its like a gamble

#5 ·
Hard not knowing what things sound like.... :(

The guy with the magnaflow has several videos with sound from within, exterior and even with resonator delete.... Guy with Borla only has that one video, so don't know what it sounds like from inside. Don't want something that's much louder up to about 2k rpm - above that is fine... :)

Obviously, no drone would be good.....

#6 ·
Over on the lx forum there is a comment from an owner that has a Challenger with a Corsa system that drones badly according to him and he also owns a 300 2nd gen and put a Borla cat back system on and said it does not drone inside. So there is an opinion from what I would call a fairly well informed person as he has tried 2 different systems albeit on 2 different cars..

#11 · (Edited)
I had a Borla "Touring" Cat Back in my 2011 300 Touring 3.6 and I loved it. Purrs nice at idle, nice growl at WOT, no drone. Borla's "Touring" model in their quietest model, a little louder than stock, though it is still a true straight through exhaust. Also, as stated above, it will convert you to a true dual exhaust with an X pipe, like the S model. I also had a Mopar CAI and the combo helped with throttle response and power. I traded the car in before Diablo offered a tune for the 3.6L. I would like to have seen what the Diablo tune on 93 gas would have done for the Pentastar. One thing though, since your car currently has only a single muffler, there is no heat shield where the second new muffler will go. The mounting holes are there so you may want to order the heat shield from Chrysler and install it with the new system.

Edit: Inside the car there in almost no difference in the sound from stock. The Borla system comes with two mufflers and two resonators. Wife never said a word.

#12 ·
Hi Guys, just traded in my 2007 300c 5.7 L for a 2014 300s 3.6L "pentastar" ? Not sure what that stands for im guessing maker of the engine. Anyways, need sound on this thing, CAI and a good exhaust that isnt too loud but you can hear when you open it up WOT. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

#13 ·
I have a 12' 300S with the 3.6 and with the 2-1-2 system from factory and didn't want to pay the hefty price for the borla system. Instead I went to my local muffler shop and for $450 They cooked up a setup of an X pipe, 2x borla PRO XS mufflers and new 2.5 pipe from the x-pipe out. Here are some pics of it. The resonators were left out. I tried calling borla to get exact part numbers for thier system but they wouldn't give it up and don't blame them. I just wanted to know what they used for resonators. I have a feeling that the system consists of 2 sets of the PRO XS mufflers but I could be wrong. System owners please correct me. At the initial start up, I wasn't impressed with the sound and was a bit disappointed. The shop owner told me to wait a few weeks and the sound will change and it did. Now it sounds good. As for the drone, I get very little to no drone at idle to low rpm's. The sound changes as the rpm rises. At WOT it sounds awesome, and when it shifts gears and it makes that sound like you're driving a stick shift, it gives me a chubby lol. I do get the drone sound when I'm on a road trip and it consist of climbing mountains. It's gets pretty loud when it's a steep climb, so loud that the wife complains about the sound. But I rarely climb mountains during road trips. I'll try to record some sound clips to post up.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have a 12' 300S with the 3.6 and with the 2-1-2 system from factory and didn't want to pay the hefty price for the borla system. Instead I went to my local muffler shop and for $450 They cooked up a setup of an X pipe, 2x borla PRO XS mufflers and new 2.5 pipe from the x-pipe out. .
You sure about that... the S should have 2 pipes all the way not 2 into 1 back into 2 (2-1-2) as you describe.

I'll take a look at mine tonight

#19 ·
Can't really gauge the mpg as I have a heavy foot. Other than the sound, I really couldn't tell very much on the performance increase, but once I got the diablo intune, and loaded the 91 octane boost, it made a hell of a difference. U can definitely fell the torque, especially in sport mode. I hear great things about the overkill tune, I'm waiting on the big bully cai I have in order then will follow it up with the overkill tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.