Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

This will make the hair on you neck stand up

19K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  CtCarl 
#1 ·
Yesterday I entered my 2014 Chrysler 300 S to drive to the VA for a scheduled appointment. Instead I was on the phone with Chrysler Road Assistance most of the morning trying to find a dealer that would accept my car for diagnosing my problem. 5 dealers refused to take the vehicle in !Here's what happened the motor would not start when pushing the Start Button. Instead the Start button was locked in the Run position. Removed my foot from the break, push Start again ..... would not return to Off position. Opened the door thinking maybe it would reset this problem.....the entire dash Icons, headlights, Nav screen, tach, speedo start flashing and the windshield wipers are going while stalk in in the off position. Hold on I'm not finished.....a very low pulsating sound is emanating from the engine compartment. Ran to the trunk to disconnect the battery, key fob in my pocket but button on lid does not open the lid. Run back to the dash push the trunk release same result. Pulled the rear seats down crawled into the trunk and pulled the emergency trunk release and was finally able to open it.
Back to the road side assistance guy. He charged the battery and the car started. Drove to my dealer today and they did an electrical system check and came up with 27 error codes. They told me the battery was below the normal load, but has been fully charged and all 27 error codes have been cleared, by the computer and did not return ! This vehicle is going on 3 months since I purchased it new in Dec 2014. Less than 800 miles on the odo. This has been the 2nd failure for a brand new vehicle. The work order states "Problem Not Found". They claimed when the battery goes below the required "Load Level" all that I stated above is normal. Yeah I believe that ! I think there is something amiss with the electrical system that caused the battery to run down. I also believe it will happen again. This is the second failure the 1st was a TCM software failure. see my post on that one. I'm really afraid to drive this vehicle. Should have never traded my 2009 300.
Shulda coulda wouda Crappa !

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen the same thing happen on a 13 model and the battery was almost dead. All the symptoms you described except the ignition was off. The car thought it was stolen and the fob was not the correct fob and with the battery out of juice it went haywire. Might not be the same problem but symptoms the same.

#4 ·
Thanks very much for this info. It at least make me feel slightly better, since you mention it has taken place on other vehicles. I have never seen anything like that ! That being said, no mods have been made to the vehicle. I do love This "S" but only a month ago the vehicle failed and that time I was driving it. I have posted that event and if I didn't pull over I could have been in a serious collision. Yes I asked for a new battery the vehicle is not quite 3 months old. I was told they would install a new battery if the diagnosis [computer] shows it's defective. No new Battery.This has to be an electrical system defect for the battery to lose its charge as it did. I really have lost confidence for this vehicle.

#3 ·
Maybe you've installed a mod that is drawing power?
Maybe you just need a new battery as this one may be faulty?
Additionally, they detected 27 codes, so they know there is an issue, hopefully they discovered something similar with the first incident. I believe 3x for same issue qualifies the Lemon Law (provded a mod isn't causing the failures). GL

Reactions: jggr06 and mmkeyed
#5 ·
I forgot to mention and I believe there are others maybe many that are having 8.4N Navigation problems. Every so often, while routing a message appears "Off Route"
then "Recalculating" appears. Re-drawing the map takes a long time well over a minute. Also Sat radio frequently looses signal. That's entirely unacceptable. I have called Chrysler Uconnect and told them about these problems. I was told I would be contacted by a higher level of management. That hasn't happened. My '09 300 had a 30 GB HD and was not a Garmin but MY Gig RER radio. The above mentioned problems never happened in the 5 years a had that vehicle. And the vehicle was trouble free from day one. Never any probs.
I'm wondering if these problems: the TCM, and electrical system problems are related.

#7 ·
Be worth doing a test and see with the car all shut down and no lights on etc, how much is being drawn from the battery. This will let you know if something seems to be bleeding the battery or the battery itself is a bit hows your father

Reactions: mmkeyed
#10 ·
MOVE YOUR KEY RACK.

It is possible there is something wrong with your electrical system or battery, HOWEVER I had almost the exact same thing happen with my 2014 300C in my garage. Had the dealer come at tow it to them. (It was only a month or two old and maybe a couple thousand miles on it at that point so they came to get it with no argument - I did NOT call the dealer directly, I called Chrysler Roadside Assistance.)

Anyway...dealer checked everything out, told me the battery was dead, kept it overnight to make sure it held the charge, and everything checked out fine. I then questioned why a brand-new car would go dead after sitting for two or three days and they told me that if the key fob is kept in the car or close to the car (within 20 feet or so) it will drain the battery over a day or two. That's because every time the key fob approaches the car, several systems fire up to get ready for entry. Since then I've noticed that every time I walk into my garage with my keys in my pocket the car gets excited (lights come on, etc.). It was basically staying in "ready" mode all the time.

In my case I was hanging the keys on the other side of the interior garage wall. I moved my key to a different room in the house and have not had a battery or electrical problem since then, several months and another few thousand miles trouble free.

#11 · (Edited)
2014 300 SRT - 17,000 km February 20 in Toronto Canada with -15C temperatures.

Drove to client 60km away, everything was fine.
Driving home, the "sound" was not working for any of the devices (radio, nav, dvd etc.). Radio would change channels and nav displayed fine. Tried stopping, shutting off and restarting the car twice. Did not fix the issue.

Parked car that evening at home and started some research. Found information about rebooting devices and removing the battery connection and resetting everything.

Sat. morning, Feb. 21 (very cold) tried starting the car but battery was almost dead. Could unlock doors with the remote, but the proximity door lock was not working. The car would not start. The wipers worked verrrry slow. So the battery was not totally dead but definitely below acceptable voltage.

Sat. Noon, Feb. 21, boosted the car, drove it for 45 minutes and worked fine.

Has not failed again.

My hope is something triggered a problem with the sound AMP and that never really shut off properly and drained the battery. At least that is what I would like to think.

Will let you know if it happens again.

I would like to think it is NOT the battery because my previous 2005 300 C the battery worked fine for 9 years.

#44 ·
2014 300 SRT - 17,000 km February 20 in Toronto Canada with -15C temperatures.

Drove to client 60km away, everything was fine.
Driving home, the "sound" was not working for any of the devices (radio, nav, dvd etc.). Radio would change channels and nav displayed fine. Tried stopping, shutting off and restarting the car twice. Did not fix the issue.

Parked car that evening at home and started some research. Found information about rebooting devices and removing the battery connection and resetting everything.

Sat. morning, Feb. 21 (very cold) tried starting the car but battery was almost dead. Could unlock doors with the remote, but the proximity door lock was not working. The car would not start. The wipers worked verrrry slow. So the battery was not totally dead but definitely below acceptable voltage.

Sat. Noon, Feb. 21, boosted the car, drove it for 45 minutes and worked fine.

Has not failed again.

My hope is something triggered a problem with the sound AMP and that never really shut off properly and drained the battery. At least that is what I would like to think.

Will let you know if it happens again.

I would like to think it is NOT the battery because my previous 2005 300 C the battery worked fine for 9 years.
Hi I also have a 2005 300c 5.7 and my car was running perfectly fine before I stopped at a gas station and shut it off and ran in. Came out unlock the car and went to start it with my remote starter because there is something wrong with my ignition and my key wouldn't start my car but anyway tried to start it and all it does is crank over but won't start idk what is going on with it and now it's been 2 weeks sitting in my driveway and still doing the same thing 😥😥 Any idea what it could be I would really appreciate some help thank you 😊

#12 · (Edited)
I never leave the key fob in the car. I'm with you it's not the battery. I have been saying that all along. My '09 battery was still operating when I traded the car 3 months ago. But look what I just uncovered. The red text below is exactly what happened to me and now Chrysler has a class action on their hands ! I don't know where it's located but if the fuel pump is located in the engine compartment that could have been the pulsating I heard. But the air bags never deployed. Read on............

Chrysler sued over failure to timely repair or replace
Totally Integrated Power Module in certain vehicles
Chrysler
Posted on November 14, 2013 by Mike
The lawsuit is brought on behalf of owners of the 2008 model year Chrysler 300, and 2011- 2012 model year Jeep Grand Cherokees, Dodge Durangos and Dodge Grand Caravans.

These vehicles are factory equipped with a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) which is located in the vehicle engine compartment. The TIPM consists of a computer, relays, and fuses, and controls and distributes power to all of the vehicles’ electrical systems. These electrical systems include the
vehicles’ safety systems, security system, ignition system, electrical power train as well as the vehicles’ comfort and convenience systems which include such components as the air bags, fuel pump, windshield wipers, headlights, turn signals, and power windows and doors.
The TIPM installed in Class Vehicles fails to reliably control and distribute power to various vehicle electrical systems and component parts.
Typically, the defect manifests as an inability to reliably start the vehicle and progressively escalates to the vehicle failing to start all together and, in some instances, the vehicle stalling during operation. Vehicle owners also have problems with the fuel pump not shutting off and random and uncontrollable activity of the windshield wipers, alarm system, door locks, and airbags.

The problem is so widespread that the part is on national back order, taking weeks and sometimes months for a replacement part to become available. Chrysler however, does not acknowledge the problem, leaving consumers, dealers and auto technicians to sort it out themselves. Consequently, consumers are stuck with inoperable vehicles for weeks and months on end, forced to pay for unnecessary repairs and car rental costs and have to pay over $1,000 for the TIPM replacement not knowing whether the replacement part suffers
from the same defect. Plaintiffs bring this action on behalf of a proposed nationwide class of consumers who purchased or leased Chrysler vehicles equipped with the defective TIPM, or, in the alternative, on behalf of statewide classes of consumers who purchased or leased their Chrysler vehicles in California, Maryland, and Florida.

Uncovering this, I feel the dealership is aware of the problem and purposely
did not inform me..................what do you think ?

#14 ·
I had a similar situation with my 2013 300C about 8 months ago - car would not start, would not take a jump start, every warning light on the dash was on.

The way it was parked, it could not be towed. So - I went and bought a new OEM Mopar battery and put it in myself. The car started right up - drove normally, and all of the codes it threw did not reappear. Never had the same problem again.

It was a defective battery - I think Chrysler as a lot of them out there...

#15 ·
I hope in your case it was just the battery, but when a malfunction takes place on our vehicles most of us go into denial. But down deep are concerned and hope the repair is permanent. I have done a great deal of research since my last post and found out a lot of solid information. The problems I had can happen again. There is many owners complaining about exactly what happened to my vehicle. I wasn't going to post my findings until it was resolved, but as a I suspected something other than the battery caused both power failures I experienced. My vehicle is unsafe to drive and there are many others as well. I'm certain it is a faulty TIPM [Totally Intergraded Power Module]. I have notified Chrysler Corp. and the dealer, just this past week. I was told Chrysler will contact me this week, but I have not had a response from my dealership. There is a video an individual who had a TIPM failure found out there are none available, many others are in the same boat. Chrysler can not furnish the part, no or low inventory. A class action law suit has been filed.
the following link is a 2014 Chrysler 300 S. Notice the erratic instrument cluster activity and random on of wipers etc.

Same vehicle total power failure.

#16 ·
Even though your car is only 3 months old (to you), it could have sat endlessly on the dealer lot without being started for weeks at a time.
Modern cars have modules that run continuously which draw on the battery even while parked. Any modern car should have a trickle charger if it's going to sit for more than 3-5 days. Furthermore, short drives and commutes don't allow the battery to properly charge. All of these things can degrade the battery. It's also possible you had a bad battery. Low charge can cause all sorts of strange electrical gremlins.

Maybe you should just have the battery replaced.
If it does happen again I think you need to ask yourself if the battery has been properly cared for (above) before blaming something else.
It's hard to suspect other parts when a fully charged battery cured it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 · (Edited)
Even though your car is only 3 months old (to you), it could have sat endlessly on the dealer lot without being started for weeks at a time.
Modern cars have modules that run continuously which draw on the battery even while parked. Any modern car should have a trickle charger if it's going to sit for more than 3-5 days. Furthermore, short drives and commutes don't allow the battery to properly charge. All of these things can degrade the battery. It's also possible you had a bad battery. Low charge can cause all sorts of strange electrical gremlins.

Maybe you should just have the battery replaced.
If it does happen again I think you need to ask yourself if the battery has been properly cared for (above) before blaming something else.
It's hard to suspect other parts when a fully charged battery cured it.

I have left my 2005 300c at the various airports for a week at a time and often for 2 weeks and NEVER had a problem with starting. My latest 2014 300 SRT has also been left unattended for a week or more and started upon my return with no issues. Just the one occasion mentioned above, something drained the battery. I suspect it was something that controlled the power to the sound amp that was suspect based on the symptoms described above.

As of this email, my problem has not occurred again.

I totally agree there are devices that "stay ON" while the car is parked and over a long enough period of time, these devices will drain the battery. But based on my experience with the 300 series (11 years), this would need to be weeks if not months to drain our 300 OEM batteries. Assuming a healthy OEM battery and no excessive modifications (stock). My 2005 300c battery lasted 9 years before it showed any symptoms of problems and that is in Canada with numerous minus 20 degree C days each winter.

#18 · (Edited)
To Pwrdbym,
FYI The Service Dept did charge the battery.
Thanks for your advice, but I don't think you read that even though I did not think the battery was responsible for the power failure......I asked them to replace it. Doing so would at least eliminate it to be causing the problem. The tech rep said that it would be replaced if the diagnostic evaluation showed the battery to be defective. It did not, and the work order stated "Engine Trouble, Trouble Not Found". That was a power failure, not engine trouble, with 27 electronic error codes, and 2 are still active as per that W.O. That is why I believe the problem is the TIPM. Identical events are happening to a great deal of Chryslers. And there are not enough of TPIM's available to satisfy most owners in need of one that are waiting for a replacement. I also have come to believe my dealer also knows that as well. Why would they State Engine Trouble, when it was an electronic glitch that caused power failure ?
Also my 2009 300 which was the trade-in on the new 300 was 1 month short of 5 years old. It had the original battery still working just fine, and my driving length/frequency were the same as they are now.

#19 ·
Sounds like a serious issue with the car's computer 'brains'.

I recommend you get the contact for your Regional Service Manager (a dealership service manager in your area should be able to supply this).

Do not deal with any service writers (the people at the service desk). Get your issues before the Regional Service Manager. And - only deal with him and your dealership service manager. Let them know your ownership history and that you are also on the car forums.

This should get the ball rolling to solve these issues.

#21 ·
Please keep us posted as to how you get on.

BTW - this stuff happens with all makes of cars. It's rare - but my advice would be the same whether you had a Ford or a BMW.

The sad part is that there are some dealerships out there that do not have well qualified electronic technicians.

#23 ·
Thanks Ev0lv3,
But with all the discussion about the battery, I thought it was very obvious that my very first post in this thread was the reason the battery discharged. With all the flashing of the instrument cluster Icons, headlights, the horn blowing, Nav screen and radio going crazy and the low pulsating sound from the engine compartment, it was very obvious to me that the battery would drain. And that went on for over 20 minutes. It seems to me that the dialog has shifted away for the real problem. I will be the first to admit when the vehicle failed the a the first time, I was driving on an expressway when the Check Engine Icon lit up. I thought the transmission failed. The dealer flashed the TCM, and I thought all was well. However had I not pulled off to the shoulder I could have been involved in a serious rear ender. At that time I had no idea what a TIPM was. But when this event took place it was very obvious that my vehicle has an electronic problem. That's when I did research and discovered that many others had the very same problem. Some jokingly claimed that their vehicle is possessed !
Recalling what I was told by the service writer and now being ignored by the service manager and sales manager, I have come to the conclusion they knew the TIPM was at fault. However It's hard for me to believe, but could it be possible they do not ?
If they do know there's a problem obtaining a TIPM. Why not tell me that, and order the damn thing. I would have accepted that. But they really did the wrong thing, by not educating me because a possible future TIPM failure is apt to happen...........now I am frightened to drive my car. I received an email from Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care last night asking to complete a survey regarding the service performed by the dealer. I plan to call them today. I will update all what takes place

#24 ·
I somehow missed that you were driving the car the FIRST time you had these problems.
I know from my own personal experience that when the battery gets really low it WILL do things like honk the horn and such. My dash also went a little nutty. Then eventually it gets to where all you hear is a relay under the hood clicking continuously, and then eventually even that will stop.
But your issues seem worse and different, and I think a lot of us are waiting to hear what it turns out to be and how well Chrysler handles it. Good luck.

#25 ·
TIPM failure

It will be interesting to hear how Chrysler handles this issue.

Because it is on this and other forums and we know "Chrysler Cares" representitives do monitor these forums, they can not avoid the issue / risk for long and suggest "we did not know" in a court case.

The more visible this becomes the better, if we want Chrysler to take action.

It is very possible that Chrysler (and their suppliers) are having problems:
1) determining ROOT CAUSE;
2) costing, planning, building, testing enough corrected parts to fulfill a reacall.

GM has ingnition problems and took MONTHS to get enough parts to dealers to fix the recall issue.

#26 ·
Regarding the battery maintenace, I love the logic that because it hasn't personally happened to me, it couldn't possibly be an issue for someone else.

#27 ·
To NortherRider and all of you guys THANKS for your concern and advice.
I did call what I thought was the tel# for Mopar on the email I mentioned in an previous post. Turned out to be Chrysler Customer Service. However I could not ask for a more cooperative Rep. Over an hour on the phone with her. Corroborated all I had documented and called my dealer to arrange a meeting with SM and Regional SM. Unfortunately Dealer SM not available. Informed me she would reach out to have both call to arrange a date to meet. Also she is escalating my case to a higher level and that I should hear from that case manager within 2 days. A few hours later I received a call from the case mgr.
Also extremely courteous and pleasant like the CS Rep. She called the dealer's S/M to arrange an appointment for a final attempt to resolve this issue. She reported the SD is backed up, but would take me in tomorrow on standby but do not have a loaner. This gal touched all the bases looking out for my welfare. Since the dealer is about 90 miles away, she arranged for the dealer to call her when they have an opening and a loaner for me.
I did ask her if she knew what a TIPM was. Also if the dealer has one available. She was aware and told me if my assumption was correct and it is the TIPM, she could expedite the part to the dealer. So at least this is progressing, but I'm still not driving my 300, until appointment day !

#28 ·
I guess I was too optimistic with my last post. I have not heard for the dealer or from the Resolution Rep, who I thought so highly of. I tried to reach her Fri, Sat and today 3/9/2015. I also sent a text. Each time her voice mail stated away from desk, leave massage and will return call ASAP. That has not happened. Benefit of a doubt.....maybe she took a few days off. Meanwhile not using the car except for local errands.
Yesterday I attempted to utilize Travel Link, and then Traffic link. Dead in the water....NO Weather, no info, no nothing. All tabs greyed out ! Also Nav still problematic. Using 8.4N BT which is miraculously working called Sirius. First rep could not help he transferred me to upper level techie. Went thru all prompts he suggested, still nothing. Asked me to tune to Channel 0, turn off BT, then the engine, key in my pocket, stay on cell phone but move away from car at least 20 feet. Shortly he asks me to return to car and check if all is OK. Again nothing no Travel or Traffic link. During our conversation he stated that he sent a signal to the radio and all should have been good to go. Further conversation led to my other electronic problems. He claims when those failures took place they affected the radio lost the electronic signal for T and T Links, and could cause the Nav problems I told him I been having. He told me the radio should be repaired or replaced. I am now totally PISSED, with additional problems cropping up, what the hell will be next ?He assured me he would note what took place in my file, should the dealer require same. So from all the research I have come up with, this and my previous failures point more and more that the TIPM has to be replaced. But Chrysler is doing something other than replacing the entire unit. Watch this very recent video [link below Feb 2015] they are trying to do a fix by replacing a relay in the TIPM, sound like is a band aid fix to me ! They don't have enough TIPM's in their inventory to announce a recall to satisfy the millions of vehicles that have the problem and those that are suspect of having it. They are more interested in dollars than the owners safety !
Channel 2 Investigates 'possessed' cars and their dangers | www.wsbtv.com

#29 · (Edited)
We had a similar situation with a 2013 model that we bought brand new, only with us it was intermittent failure of the brakes. The car was well within the full factory warranty period and they refuse to do anything.

u figure after about 6 visits to multiple dealerships, chrysler would have just replaced the master cylinder and booster just as a safety precaution. Instead, they just hand u the keys and say "good luck".

rather than be proactive and try to resolve the problem, they will first insist it was driver error. Then they will argue with you about why it's not their responsibility. Then they will nickle and dime you on a loaner car. Then once u jump through the incompetent dealership bullsh*t, you have to deal with the ignorant, uneducated, elementary level educated chrysler corporate reps on the phone, who will once again, deny everything and try to once again pin the blame on you.

the company is just a bad organization to do business with. I'd like to warn every potential customer not to do any business with this company.

so rather than waste more time with the piece of sh*t car and company, we quickly sold this safety hazard and bought a lexus. My gawd talk about a night and day difference in quality and service

#30 ·
Last week I was contacted by the Svc Dept's scheduler. She arranged an appointment for today 3-17-2015. The Regional Svc Mgr was not present. I was disappointed with that, but after arranging for a loaner things got completely out of control. They wanted additional money per day.
I returned to the dealer and asked for the key to my car. The Sve Rep was surprised and tried to convince me to allow car to be checked out. He is and has been very courteous and understanding each time I brought the car in. Then the Svc Mgr appeared twisted everything that was previously told to me by Chrysler and the scheduler. He also tried very hard to intimidate me, without success ! He seemed to have little respect for the Resolution Mgr and referred her as being a Chrysler Customer Service Rep. I did leave the car, what the Hell, that would be 3 attempts for Svc to correct these issues which are all relate to each other. The 1st was life threatening. NJ law warrants one failure like that as a LEMON. Also I did the rental at no cost. When I arrived home I contacted a Lemon Law Lawyer. He requested all documentation and a description of all 3 failures. I also sent what has been happening to the vehicle to Clarence Ditlow at the Center for Auto Safety. I have had it with both Chrysler and the dealer. The lawyer seems to think I have a strong case. He intends to contact Chrysler. Chrysler is very foolish with delaying a recall for the abundant amount of TIPM issues that have taken place. Even though there are tons of complaints on Youtube and elsewhere, I think there are too many owners who have the problem and are not aware of the 3 Vehicle Safety Advocate Agencies they should be sending their complaint to. As one of the other poster mentioned this serious problem should be plastered all over this forum as well. At least 1 woman has been killed when her vehicle a Jeep lost power and a semi rear ended it.

#32 · (Edited)
What are the 3 Vehicle Safety Advocate Agencies they should be sending their complaint to?
(Seriously; I'm not being sarcastic I'd like to know.)
Sorry for the late reply, but I never received an email for your post. As I previously stated, this problem is not getting the attention it deserves. Plus Chrysler is hiding the fact that there are vehicles they have not included in their very selective recall, that have begun to come forward. Including model years right up to 2014, such as my 2014 300 S.
Here are the links:
The Center for Auto Safety
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
CarComplaints.com | Car Problems, Car Complaints, & Repair/Recall Information
There are other auto advocate websites as well.
As I mentioned Chrysler is ignoring this serious safety issue, and my dealer is really playing hard ball now. In another post I'll update what has taken place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.