Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2015 HID Bulb Retrofit

75K views 191 replies 34 participants last post by  waltschmits 
#1 ·
So I've seen a handful of threads about HID swap's in 300's - but not many for the 2015 model year. Thought it'd be a good idea to get a single thread going just for this model year - since I've seen a few reports of issues.

Please only chime in on this thread if you have experience with the swap on a 2015 300 only - thanks!

I have a 2015 300C with Halogen projectors.

I've ordered the Mopar Lowbeam kit from The Retrofit Source. This includes the relay harness with the capacitor link. Bulbs are 9012's and, because they have the "dust cap" (aka "internal") I will need to drill out a hole & use the pass-through connector.

I haven't done my install yet - but plan to this weekend. I know I've seen a few mentions of problems encountered - so hoping these are isolated incidents and not some sort of "issue" new to the 2015 model year 300.

In particular, user JROD696 - he used an HID kit from Third Gear Performance. He had random flickers on his 2015 300S - and the bulb eventually shut off. He returned them for a refund & then went the LED route & experienced the same issue. He's now waiting on some sort of "gen 2 ballast" that he was told should fix the problem.

User Pawelpuczko had a 9006 HID kit installed at a shop - and after 1 day - they wouldn't turn on. So he had them remove the kit.

Anyone else have any experience in HID changeout on a 2015 300? Please post who you got your kit from and what the results were. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
My experience with The Retrofit Source has been excellent on two Ram trucks, a 2007 which was extremely difficult to get a working kit for until I found TRS. So when I got my 2014 there was no messing around...I contacted TRS for adding HID's to my halogen projectors plus the foglights. They work flawlessly.

#4 ·
Appreciate the post but would really like to hear ONLY from members with experience on the 2015 300. I'm trying to determine if there are any issues with HID retrofits for this year. I saw a mention elsewhere there may have been some sort of CANBUS change or modification which will require HID kits to be updated/modified for a successful install.

TRS said there "could" be a need for a "more complex harness" & another vendor is claiming a need for different ballasts.

Just trying to determine if any of this is true and what HID kit/parts will provide success for the 2015 300.

#5 · (Edited)
I actually installed the DDM Tuning Gen2 Canbus ballasts which were supposedly designed for the 2015's last night, after about 20 minutes this morning the headlights shut off, no errors on the dash and in fact the dash said they were still on. I tried turning them off and on but it didnt work. I had to pull off to the side of the interstate and turn the car off open the driver door, wait a minute or so and then start the car up and then they would come on again.

3 kits, 3 companies same end result. The only difference is the DDM's did not flicker or blink they just turned off.

Oh and thank you for starting this thread, I was going to do the same because I am at my whits end.

#7 ·
Nope I havnt tried TRS yet. I have done Third Gear Performance Canbus, Xenon Depot LED with caps, and DDM Canbus Gen 2 Ballast.

I am waiting to hear back from DDM to hear their thoughts but my guess is it will end up in a return of products.

Unfortunately at this point I am frustrated enough that this is going to be my last attempt until I can hear from at least 2 people that have done HID installs on a 2015 and had 0 issues.

I drive in the dark quite a bit and I kinda like having reliable headlights ::biggrin::

#8 ·
I just got off the phone with DDM and they "Never got my email" but they listed off a whole bunch of parts I could purchase and try to see if I could get it to work and then just send back the parts that didn't work.

I have opted to just return the DDM Kit all together and just go back to ugly yellow halogen until there is a more proven process for the 2015's

#9 · (Edited)
So today I removed the HID's and plugged the holes for the third time from a third company

Then I Installed Putco Mirror White Halogens which are not Brighter by any means but they are very white, almost matching the LED's so at least the car doesn't look so goofy.

And this is what they look like. Not HID but ill take it until someone, anyone can get something working longer than a week without shutting off on a 2015.

Same Putcos but a little darker outside to make it easier on the camera phone

#56 · (Edited)
Sadly, I have to now concur with the above. Now 6 months later the TRS lights have been alternating with only one working at a time. Occasionally both will work as they should, but occasionally is not acceptable.

Thanks Jrod for the Putco advice, if you can provide a 3 month update that would be great (Unless the DD's are still working for you). I wasn't sure whether to go Nitro Blue or Night White, based on the CarID website Putco pics, these 2 had a whiter output on the ground...

#10 ·
I just spoke with someone from TRS and they have not successfully had anyone with a 2015 300 get something working yet, below is a copy of what was sent.

Thanks for the email and the patience waiting for the reply. We had lots of Chrysler 300 owners come to us for a reliable HID system that will work and we have succeed with a compatible harness. The only issue here is that you are the first 2015 300 owner we came across and if there is any indication that the wiring changed, the 2015 200 changed to the same as the 300 and that requires a 2015+ Ram harness. Pre-2014 models just require a relay harness with a capacitor link inline to the OEM 9012 plug. The first thing I will ask you to check if you have a bulb out warning on the dash like the new 200 does. If so then you will require the same kit as the 2015 Ram versions need. That harness includes dual resistors on each side of the vehicle to offset the bulb out warning. Please let us know so that we can recommend the best setup for you.

I did reply back letting him know that out of the 3 different kits I have never experienced any warnings on the dash, right now I feel like if anyone is going to get it working its going to be these guys. At least they are honest and say we don't know but we will figure it out where the other guys say yep it will work no problem we guarantee it.

#11 ·
Just got an email back from TRS and they gave me the link below and said its whats working on the 200's

A copy of the email
Thanks for the reply. I would like to thank you for the explanation of your previous experiences with the other competition. It looks like its going to be the same setup as we always have have since 2010+ version and that is the Mopar low beam elite kit: Mopar: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc This has been tried and has been proven to work on the Chrysler 200.

Our products come with a 5 year warranty with excellent customer service to guide you in every step of the way.

Mopar: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

#12 ·
That's what I have and just installed. What a joy that was! I have 2 issues off the bat:

1. I have 9012 bulbs. They only go in upside down - so I have these black lines that intersect in my light beams....not sure if I'm supposed to clip a tab to "make'em fit" or what.

2. I get intermittent lights out. In 20 minutes of driving, happened 3 times. Both lights went out. The last time I had pulled back into my garage, popped the hood - and a few seconds later they blinked out and I heard a static noise by the relays. My connections are all solid - I double checked - so not sure what the issue is :(

I do not have any error indicators on the dash. I do not have a rapid flash.

Sending a message to TRS after I post this...

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 and I had the exact same issue with bulbs. After going back and forth with TRS thru emails I called them Friday evening.

Long story short I ended up using nail clippers to trim back the long tab of the bulb. If you look the tab there may be a line scored on there...that's what I used as my guide.

Once that was cut I was able to seat the bulb properly.

TRS gave me some excuse that the bulb tab orientation shouldn't matter and it's Chrysler's fault, but every 9012 bulb I see has the large tab at the 12 o'clock position. Not sure why the Morimoto bulbs have the tab at the 8 o'clock.

#13 · (Edited)
Not sure about the upside down thing but those black lines would irritate me pretty bad.
As far as the blinking that was the issue I had with the LED's and capacitor setup. The other 2 kits were Canbus Ballasts and the car just shut the headlights off all together.
Keep me/us posted if you hear back from TRS. Looks like its back to the drawing board.

Did you by any chance order the plugs I sent you a link to in the private message?

#15 ·
Thanks guys. I'll have a quick conversation with TRS tomorrow and probably just trim the tab and reseat it at a better angle.

As for the lights blinking, they don't "blink" really - they both just cut off and back on occasionally...don't know that I'd classify it as a blink per se...curious what TRS has to say about that. I need these to be reliable...

#16 ·
Today's update: Spoke to TRS. Said my 9012 bulbs should NOT have an issue (like being upside down) - so I sent them pics of the output with the upside down V shadow. Agreed it wasn't right. Then sent them a pic of bulb in projector socket showing the wires on the top - when it should be on the bottom.

They said that they have had a few 2015 Chrysler 300 installs & none have had issues. I would LOVE to speak to those people to verify that this was indeed true.

Regarding both lights intermittent cutoff - they advised me to check the pins in the connections to the igniters to make sure they weren't bent and are seated correctly. I checked that. But - I don't know that'd be the issue for BOTH bulbs briefly cutting out at the same time...also double checked my grounds - and they appear to be solid...

So no real update. Waiting for their response to both issues before I do anything else . . .

#17 ·
So here's another update for today - and it's a good one!

I got inpatient waiting to hear back from TRS and felt I didn't really get much of anywhere...so...

Here's an iPhone pic of the HID bulb in the projector. Notice it has the wires at the top - which means the return wire on the bulb is on the top too. That's not the way its supposed to be - so you get shadows. But I assure you, it is the ONLY way to get it in the 2015 300C.

So I pulled out the 9012 HID bulb and compared it to the 9012 halogen bulb. I've read lots and lots of posts about HID replacement the last week or so - and read how people have had to flip bulbs & trim tabs to get them to work - including on SOME 9012 HID bulbs from TRS. So...after comparing - I took the plunge and trimmed the lower right tab (circled in red):

Now, the picture does NOT show the tab after I trimmed it. Sorry for not taking a pic after I did it. I used nail clippers to carefully trim the tab. I read in another post for a different vehicle/light setup how, after trying to get the bulb in the correct way, and it not fitting, you'll see a light mark on the tab from the projector bracket. You use those faint lines as your guide. So that's what I did. (I think most of the folks who were doing this were using 9006 bulbs or something, I dunno - but I was having the same described issues those posts were talking about)

If I remember correctly, I trimmed a little bit off the outer edge of the tab, and then removed a little bit from the bottom of the tab - but double check your own to be sure (I am NOT pulling these bulbs out again unless I have to).

Did the same thing to the other side - and wammo - I have some pretty darn nice light output! Did some side by side comparisons to my other car (a 2015 Hyundai Sonata that has HID's) and it's almost spot on with that car - at this close range and at 20 feet away or so. Sorry I don't have pics showing the pattern & spread! Here's one though from close range on my garage door, which does incline slightly:

It really looks good - the above pic does not do justice. I have to say the spread & pattern are great and compare with what I had on my previous vehicle (a 2013 F-150 with HID's). Driving is SO much nicer at night now!

For my other issue - where the lights cut off (both at the same time, very intermittent) - on my last night test drive - TRS said to check the igniter connections and make sure the little pin inside each connection wasn't bent at all. Also, double check grounds. All pins looked ok to me, but, I did move 2 of my grounds (the ones on the passenger side). Instead of placing the ground wire connector on top of the existing wire & under the nut, I pulled the top existing wire off, placed the HID ground wire on next, then placed the existing wired on and then the nut. This way, the HID grounds were sandwiched between two ground wires. The pic below is BEFORE I reinstalled them sandwiched between the existing ground wires - but I wanted to show my ground wire placement on the passenger side:

I intend to go find a good wall on level ground to do a proper light adjustment - but I don't know that I'll need to do much, if anything. Driving on dark country roads tonight - things looked great. The "high beams" looked nice and bright and gives me plenty of opportunity to see critters & dear on the sides too. I did not get flashed brights by anyone - and things look great to me all the way around.

Now - to see if the test of time holds true. Would LOVE to get 3 - 5 years out of these...though I doubt I will - I'm very hopeful!

Now, to let TRS know that the 2015 300C needs a tab trimmed down for proper light orientation. Surprised no one else that supposedly installed them in 2015 300's didn't advise them of this...

Attachments

#19 ·
I don't know for sure. My test drive was limited - but based on the behavior that occurred on my test drives Friday night - both lights blinking out - and then hearing a "static noise" when I popped the hood that night & seeing both lights flick off/on - that sounds very plausible.

I figured it couldn't hurt. I double/triple checked all my connections too. So we shall see. I feel comfortable taking it out at night now & giving it some true tests...

I have not gotten (or ever gotten) any error codes or any disco lights or any of the "common issues" I've seen with hids. Never had 1 light go out. No fast blinks or buzzing.

#20 · (Edited)
so mine did the random off and on and thing and was ok with that...kinda, but then on the interstate during the day I manually turned the lights on and drove home which is about 40 min drive, by the time i got home the headlights weren't on at all.

I also have an issue with having to modify a bulb, seems if they sell you a product with a specific model number it should fit.

#21 ·
Knock on wood - things have been good. Only had a couple of nights to actually drive with them on. Kinda felt like they were a bit much to on coming traffic, so took a shot at adjusting them tonight.

The low/high pics are from 25 feet.

First two are low/high at stock height, prior to adjustment.
Next 2 are low/high after adjustment.

When I got home, I bumped my driver side back up a bit because it seemed to fade out too soon on the road.

Last pic is where the light starts on the pavement in front of the car. Starts about 4 feet from the bumper. Don't know if that means anything one way or another.

Will try to post some "from the road pics" soon.

Attachments

#23 ·
No issues so far.

I double checked my ignite connections - those little black boxes that say AMP. Make sure the pin is not bent at all. I also changed the way my grounds were set - and sandwiched them between the existing ground wires instead if placing them on top right under the nut.

#24 ·
So I have been talking with Diode Dynamics and they have a kit that they say will work, its very similar to skynfats but does not have the relays, instead it uses a product they created to handle the voltage regulation. I went a head and ordered it figured I would give it a shot.

The reason I opted not to go with TRS is it just doesn't sit right with me that I need to modify the bulb to work properly, that's a pretty big design flaw IMHO

#26 · (Edited)
So this is what I ordered per the recommendation of the folks at Diode Dynamics.

2011-2015 Chrysler 300 Hi/Lo Beam HID Conversion Kit

and

CANBUS Anti-Flicker Module (pair)

unfortunately the the second item and apparently the most crucial the CANBUS Anti-Flicker boxes are on back order and wont be available to ship for about a week.
Once everything arrives I will keep you posted as to how it works as well as upload some photos.

#28 · (Edited)
Just got done installing the new HID's and let the car run for 45 minutes and didnt seem to have any issues, I still want to test for a couple of days before I say its all good but so far (knock on wood) so good. Once it gets dark ill try and grab some night pics also.

The first picture is their in house made Anti Flicker Module. All in all there are 3 boxes which makes the cable lengthy but no relay harness so that's a plus.

Updated with Some night shots, just drove for another 35 minutes or so on back roads, road under heavy construction and interstate and didn't even see a twinkle. Things are looking good.

Attachments

#41 ·
New guy here!

Ok so I may have made a mistake.I ordered the lights you linked to, the 9006 HID conversion. But after, I read that the bulbs are actually 9012 and worried I purchased the wrong bulbs. Can you confirm whether or not these will be fine or if I need to cancel my order?

I have a 2015 300s with the projectors. I'm pretty sure there is only a single bulb in there as I hear the highbeem shutter open when engaged.