Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Transmission again

13K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  KingJeronidas 
#1 ·
After 7.5 months of fairly painless operation, my transmission has decided to begin shifting rough again. Overnight basically, like a switch was flipped. Last Thursday my drive to work was riddled with rough 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th upshifts and harsh 2nd to 1st downshift bumps at every stop sign. Its been continuing suit ever since. I've had 5 reflashes/resets/reprograms and a new valve body installed on the transmission. It also used to smooth out as the transmission reached normal operating temp around 180, but now it does it regardless of temperature. Just throwing this out there because if anyone else has had the newest valve body installed to work out their rough shifting like I did, it may not be a permanent fix. This will be my 7th trip in for the transmission now, and it will also be the last I am willing to put up with.

#2 ·
I'm averaging 8-10 months per transmission. My 2013 300s is currently on its third complete transmission. For both replacements, the dealer has dropped the pan to replace the valve body at Chrysler's request and found pieces of metal in the pan. The symptoms are the same as yours and as reported by others.

#4 ·
I've been debating on bringing mine in for this same issue.. Seems to almost go away when it's cold but now that it's warmed up it's back... It's like it can't seem to shift in and out of first smooth at all.. I've thought before that it has something to do with the computer not knowing how to change itself up with different driving styles.. If I drive er harder it's not really an issue.. Go quick and stop quick kinda driving...

#5 ·
Hi Thrifty,
I found a Technical Service Bulletin that might address your transmission concern. TSB 21-028-14 involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Transmission Control
Module (TCM) with new software. I've included more information on the TSB below. Please let me know if you would like assistance with scheduling an appointment with your local dealership to see whether this service bulletin might resolve your issues.

TSB NUMBER: 21-028-14
GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: September 17, 2014

SUBJECT: Flash: Transmission Shift Enhancements

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2013 (LD) Charger
2013 (LX) 300

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the WA580 Automatic Transmission (Sales Codes DGJ).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The following Transmission Control Module (TCM) calibration improvements are available for vehicles equipped with WA580 Automatic Transmission (Sales Code DGJ) and are
broken down per engine application.

3.6L Engine
· Hanging in gear during HOT ambient temperature conditions and high engine loads.
· Excessive pedal needed to downshift in high altitudes (i.e. passing).
· Poor shift quality, or high transmission temperatures during track or sport driving.
5.7L Engine
· Hanging in gear at high engine speeds during aggressive driving.
· Gear shift point enhancements during high load or race track driving.
· Excessive pedal needed to downshift in high altitudes (i.e. passing).
· Poor shift quality or high transmission temperatures during track or sport driving.
· Improved acceleration response from speeds greater than 36 Mph (58 Kph) (Japan Market Only).
· Bump sensation felt during deceleration or braking.
6.4L Engine
· Bump sensation felt during deceleration or braking.
· Inconsistent downshift during Wide Open Throttle (WOT) accelerations at highway
speeds (i.e. passing).
· Transmission enhancements to improve acceleration while in reverse going uphill on steep grades.
3.0L Engine (LX Only)
· Erratic excessive shifting during low speed, light pedal driving.

#9 ·
Thanks for the additional info. I found two other TSBs related to transmission shift quality for the 8-speed trans. Perhaps one of these matches your concern.

TSB NUMBER: 21-041-14
DATE: December 10, 2014

SUBJECT: 845RE Harsh 2-1 Downshift

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves replacing the transmission valve body.

MODELS:
2013 (LD) Charger
2013 (LX) 300

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB) and the 845RE 8 speed transmission (Sales Code DFL).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: A small number of customers may experience a bump sensation during a 2-1 downshift. This condition can occur at any transmission temperature and is most noticeable during
light braking or while coasting to a stop. No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) will be set as a result of this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TSB NUMBER: 21-012-14 REV. B
DATE: September 26, 2014

SUBJECT: 8 Speed Transmission Shift Adaptation, Drive Learn Procedure

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves performing a Transmission Adaptation Learn procedure based on a subjective shift quality rating evaluation.

NOTE: The adaptation drive learn procedure must be performed on all 8-speed transmissions when the transmission is repaired/replaced and/or the Valve Body/TCU assembly (mechatronic) is replaced, or when the adaptation memory cells are cleared with the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool.

MODELS:
2013 - **2015** (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
2012 -**2015** (LD) Charger
2012 -**2015** (LX) 300C
2014 - **2015** (WD) Durango
2014 - **2015** (WK) Grand Cherokee
**2015** **(LA)** **Challenger**

NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the 845RE (Sales Code DFL), 8HP45 (Sales Code DFG), 8HP70 (Sales Code DFK), or 8HP90 (Sales Code DFE) 8-Speed Automatic Transmissions.**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Customers may indicate that their transmission shift quality does not meet their expectations.

DISCUSSION: The 845RE, 8HP45, 8HP70, or 8HP90 8-Speed Automatic Transmission uses a sophisticated shift algorithm that includes learned information so that the shift quality remains excellent even as the transmission wears. This learned information is recorded in memory cells referred to “Adaptation Memory Cells”. Each applied clutch records the amount of time it takes to fill the clutch (Fast Filling Counter/Filling Time) and the amount of pressure (Filling Counter/Filling Pressure). The adaptation memory cells are set to zero (0) on every new transmission (new in vehicle and/or replaced for service) and when the transmission control module is replaced for service. In addition, the adaptation memory cells are set to zero (0) when the transmission control module adaptation memory cells are cleared using the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool. Until the adaptation has been learned/relearned, the transmission shift quality may not meet the customer's expectations.

#12 ·
I had my valve body replaced in October of 2014. It was shifting fine for about 7 months. Then on May 21st, it started shifting rough again. I know the day because it was the day before I was leaving for a road trip. I have since had it serviced and they performed a 5th or 6th relearn. I dont even remember how many I have had done. Telling the techs that a relearn does literally nothing matters not to them. They will just do it and send me on my way.

I have since PM'd Erica with ChryslerCares and she tried to set up an appointment for me. The dealership in question told her there's nothing further that they can do for me. Apparently another new valve body or a new transmission is out of the question. Kind of a bummer since I have visited the dealership enough times to twice over qualify for the lemon law.

Erica, if you see this, can you try to create an appointment for me to get my transmission replaced at Charbonneau Car Center in Dickinson ND 58640? I have given up completely on even talking to them anymore. Or set me up for any one of the available TSB's regarding Shift Quality? Preferably a new transmission because nothing has helped my current transmission.

Thanks much, and if you need me, you can PM me.

#14 ·
You're a more patient man than I. My dealership has been awesome to deal with, which is the only saving grace of this situation. Despite that fact, if the transmission goes one more time, I will be requesting a refund under the lemon law.

The transmission relearn procedure doesn't do a damn thing. I know it. My dealership knows it. This last time, they had multiple cars in the shop getting the transmissions replaced for the same issue. The first time I brought it in, the tech said there were literal pieces of clutch in the pan when they pulled it to replace the valve body (hence transmission replacement #1 ). It sounds to me like the transmission is slowly tearing itself apart.

#13 ·
sorry to hear of your transmission troubles, all. Have a Jeep with the same transmission and may be heading the same way for a replacements (several flashes, relearns and one valve-body still not the same as it was since the first 5000 km of ownership (at 15,000 km now). The dealer hinted on the next step being a transmission. For those who've had their 845RE replaced, may I ask;

1. Was it a new transmission or rebuilt/refurbished one? You could check your invoice if its rebuilt/refurbished, the part number will start with "RL"

2. Do have AWD?

thanks

#15 ·
I don't know if my transmission is a rebuild, as I would need to request a copy of the paperwork (they don't provide me a copy if I don't have to pay). However, I do have the AWD. If your dealer pulls the pan again (the valve body is inside the transmission), have them look in the pan for pieces/particles of material that would be considered abnormal.

#21 ·
Just got told by ChryslerCares that there's nothing wrong with my car according to my dealer so they are refusing to even look at my transmission anymore.

Apparently I must just enjoy bringing my car to the service techs every couple months. Thats the whole reason behind my 8 work order tickets. Sorry guys, I've been lying to you the whole time. My transmission works flawlessly in every way. I just love leaving my 40000 dollar vehicle in the possession of people I've never met and hoping they dont trash the interior because they've never heard of washing their hands. Its what I do for fun.

Seriously, I cant wait until this thing lunches its transmission so I can lemon law it and walk away from Chrysler forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.