Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Check engine light on for second time.

24K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  bambakonteye3 
#1 ·
Check engine light came on months ago stayed on for about 2 days then went off. It's on again and the eco light doesn't come this time. Guess a trip to the dealer is in order.

#2 ·
#3 ·
If you live in an area where there is an AutoZone store, go there as they'll read the error codes for free.

I had/have the same issue on an 09 C. Turned out it was a solenoid fault in the MDS. Both times the problem cleared itself. Once it took two days, the other took three hours.

Check to see if the MDS is working by listening for the 4-cylinder growl when it kicks in. Also, check the display.

#7 ·
my 2014 300c JVL awd 5.7 hemi has the same issue with the engine light coming on . I made an appointment and that next morning the light went off. now a week later it is back on again . waiting to see if it goes off in a few days . I have no clue why it comes and goes. it is irritating because the remote start doesn't work with the light on .

#8 ·
Hi unjaded2,
Has your software been updated recently? I found a Technical Service Bulletin for your make/model year that addresses the illumination of a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). If you would like assistance in booking an appointment with your local FCA service department, I would be happy to assist you!

TSB NUMBER: 21-004-15
GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: January 24, 2015

SUBJECT: Flash: 845RE Transmission Shift Enhancements
OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with the latest available software.

MODELS:
2014 (LD) Dodge Charger
2014 (LX) Chrysler 300
2014 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee
2014 (WD) Dodge Durango
2014 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with an 845RE Automatic Transmission (Sales Code DFL) and with the following engines.
• LX and WK vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB) or 3.0L gas engine (sales code EHD).
• LD, WD, and DS vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The following TCM calibration improvements are available for vehicles equipped an 845RE Automatic Transmission (Sales Code DFL). These updates are listed by vehicle and engine.

LD and LX vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine (Sales Code ERB)
• Software to correct a harsh bump feel during a 2-1 downshift.
• Software to enable the scan tool based transmission “Quick Learn.”
• Software to address customer concerns of Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination and Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P215C Output Shaft Speed, Wheel Speed Correlation setting on AWD equipped vehicles.

LX and WK vehicles equipped with a 3.0L engine (Sales Code EHD)
• Software to correct a harsh bump feel during a 2-1 downshift.

#11 · (Edited)
I have the 5.7 Hemi not the 3.6.

Exactly, which is why I find it bothersome as I read this thread that Chrysler Cares quickly offered up a suggestion of TSB issued for vehicles equipped with V6 engines which do not have MDS when you clearly state that your MDS is disabled, or highly suspect it is disabled. Unjaded2 even states that he has the 5.7 and this "canned" TSB message is tossed out there like ketchup packs at a hot dog stand.

Sorry Chrysler Cares, but you blew it on this one.

Reactions: unjaded2
#10 · (Edited)
how do I know when I need a software update? how do I do / get the software updates ? the check engine light is back on again and comes on every month for about 5 days and then goes away . seems to come on after I fill up with gas and then use about a quarter tank of gas . now the upper trunk lining/pad has come unpinned 2inches from the right and two inches left where it closes . I can see the round metal disk that are suppose to teathered have failed . not a big deal but it is less than a yr old and only has 1920 miles on it . nothing but issues from day one with this car . the ride is awful unless your on a super smooth road . otherwise ya feel every stone and crack the road has . cant wait to trade this in for an Audi S5 or bmw m4 .

#12 ·
the cause of my issues according to the service center was p0456 evap system leak vapar canister seal . that was 9/3/15 on 9/11/2015 no remote start and check engine light on again ! 2200 miles nothing but issues with car . I also had to have the trunk lid liner tacked down as it was coming apart around the edges . can feel every pebble and crack in a rode . worst suspension I have had in any car I have owned . the for sale sign is going up soon ! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH

#15 ·
If the MDS is working intermittently with the check engine lamp light illuminated, the problem can be in the wires connecting the MDS hardware to the computer. If I hose-down my engine, this connection gets wet and causes the MDS problem. Then, when things get good and dry, it starts working again. The connector is on the pass side on the rear of the head. A little hard to see, but it's there.

#16 ·
was back again for the check engine light and no remote start on 9/17 . stated the issue was fuel tank pressure switch ??? 9/24 week later it came back on . my third apt this month now is on 9/29 for the check engine light and no remote start . FRUSTRATION . I AM IN THE SERVICE CENTER EVER OTHER WEEK . I am going to tell them to check the MDS wiring connection . I didn't want to say anything as not to insult them . Now maybe they need some advice from people who know known issues (Tomlabelle) . thanks for all the responses and knowledge you all pass along

#17 ·
The MDS wires enter the head on the back passenger side. If it gets wet or dirty, it cause an open condition. If you can reach the connector, not the easiest thing, disconnect it. Give it a good cleaning, both male and female connectors, check the wiring then hook it back up. It should work fine. The check engine light might stay on for three startups.

Good Luck.

#18 ·
So today they tell me it is a tube that leads to the tank and the part is being overnited . I told them to check the mds wires and conector , they scouffed at me as if i was a loon . I got a low end 2015 jeep cheerokee as a loaner . I feel like a soccer mom driving this vehicle . I asked for the viper , never hurts to ask . Thanks again for your advise and listening. Oops caps lock

#19 ·
ughhhhh i believe the same thing just happened to me for my 2011 300C. After 53k miles, my CEL came on early morning yesterday and I finally realized that my car no longer goes into ECO mode. I'd like to take the car into the dealership, but I dont have warranty anymore for easy dealer fixes :(

i hope someone can guide me into self repair

#20 ·
ah so ive been reading on the LXForums and most people are stating that this is a common thing and that it'll go away after a couple engine cycles. i punched my engine while it was still cold and apparently that's the reason why it turned on

#21 ·
If the light is on check the codes and post them up, any autozone or the like will pull them for free...

Could be a simple O2 code or EGR issue... As for lights from 'punching' it while cold, obviously that's not a good idea to do for the car, but there is no reason for it to throw a code either... I'm a member on LXF as well and I'll look for the threads you are referring to, but cars of our generation don't throw codes for being pushed on from cold.

Grab those codes and we will help you get to the bottom of it...

Reactions: ivanz
#22 ·
Hi ivanz,

Keep us posted on whether the light goes off after a few engine cycles and let me know if I can be of any assistance in the meantime!

#23 ·
its been a few days and the CEL is still showing. my MDS is still off and my engine definitely feels more responsive ::laugh::

If the light is on check the codes and post them up, any autozone or the like will pull them for free...

Could be a simple O2 code or EGR issue... As for lights from 'punching' it while cold, obviously that's not a good idea to do for the car, but there is no reason for it to throw a code either... I'm a member on LXF as well and I'll look for the threads you are referring to, but cars of our generation don't throw codes for being pushed on from cold.

Grab those codes and we will help you get to the bottom of it...
yeah i'm going to head to an autozone later tonight or tomorrow

#25 ·
Bummer. Still, I'd look at the MDS connector on the back of the pass side head. Could be disconnected, dirty or wet. Easy fixed and you don't have to spend any money. After you've attended to this connector, drive the beast and see if the MDS comes on. If it does, problem fixed but you'll have to start it 3 times to get the CEL to clear.

#26 ·
So I couldnt find an OBD2 so I tried doing the hard reset (unplug negative battery for 30 secs) and the light was still there, but it actually went away after driving it. My MDS is back and i regained my MPG ::biggrin:: i just hope that's the end of it.. its been two days and so far so good

#27 ·
That's great! Let us know if this permanently resolves your concern.

#28 ·
so my check engine light came back up after a week of driving it and i went to my buddy's smog shop to scan the car. Codes P0456 and P0440 came up.. I'm going to check out my evap lines. He mentioned that he's ran into other dodge/chryslers that has had this issue with one of the evap sensors above the gas tank. My car is a 2011 chrysler 300c with about 55k miles.