Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

8-speed + V6 without Sport Mode (using Low Gear) question

17K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Desert_Flyer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have been searching all over for the answer to this, I had to join and ask because I couldn't find anything.

Since sport mode is just holding on to the shift points longer, would it do any harm to put the transmission into the L mode on the regular 8 speeds?

I noticed that it still shifts past 4th/5th gear (was going too fast to find out further), and we have a sport mode light on our dashes but it just doesn't come on naturally.

Maybe we have a stealth sport mode? I just want to make sure I am not causing harm besides gas. Since sport mode is just an ECU setting I wonder how different it is from L, since I noticed L shifts past the first few gears.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
The transmission has safety features so it wont go into any gear where it would exceed the rev limiter.
As you mentioned Sport mode just holds the gear longer than it otherwise would before changing up to the next gear.

Track mode is different in the sense that it wont go to the next gear and will just bounce of the limiter.

#5 ·
I don't think the L mode is for that purpose. I suspect it's for low traction situations. You'll notice the car revs higher and it seems to perform better, but you'll likely reach the rev limiter and won't use a lot of the higher gears. I wouldn't leave it in L mode.

#6 ·
Sorry for piggybacking onto this old thread but I have been experimenting with Low in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic. Obviously the transmission is much more responsive and I find keeping pace with low speed traffic that speeds up then slows down is easier. I can "modulate" my speed easier to stay up with the car in front of me when they speed up. With the 8-speed in Drive, it lags before downshifting and accelerating and before you know it the car in the other lane has merged over and cut me off. Infuriating and the one main gripe I have with the ZF tranny. While responsive, Low is also jerkier and my wife hates it so I only use it when commuting. Speeds between 10 and 30 are ideal, but I have gone as high as 55-60 when it looks like traffic is slowing down again up ahead. The question I have, am I damaging the transmission in any way?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
Sorry I don't know the answer to your specific question - I thought L was for use in low traction conditions? Do you know if the AWD is automatically engaged in "L"?

I was wondering whether there's a transmission reset like on the Gen 1 cars where you can pull a fuse and reset the transmission learning. Then with some shall we say "spirited" driving the transmission would learn to be responsive. I know that works on the 5 speed, I'd be interest if there's a similar trick on the 8 speed box?

#8 ·
I don't know if it is damaging the transmission, but on those occasions I accidentally shift through D into L, I hate it. Low is for low traction, and in my opinion not a driving gear to be maintained for any length of time. It wastes gas, and certainly puts unnecessary wear and tear on the engine. To keep it in low in stop and go traffic would irritate the crap out of me.

#9 ·
I, also, would like to get an ANSWER to the operative question! In other words, ONLY respond IF you actually know the answer to the underlying question, which is: is there a "stealth" or "actual" SPORT mode in the 2015 and newer 300C with the v6 engine (NOT the v8 HEMI) when I turn off traction control (and a LARGE yellow "sport" message appears b/w the speedometer and the tachometer) and I then shift to LOW GEAR (L)???? THAT is the question and the ONLY question!!!

#10 · (Edited)
Nope, cant answer that question. But...opposite of “sport” mode...had a real nice relaxing trip this past weekend in Flagstaff, AZ, elevation 7,000 ft. The drive back down home to Phx at 75 mph was pretty relaxing, letting the speed demons race on up ahead. On the 6% downgrades, I put the tranny into ‘L’ and still on cruise control held it there nicely without much braking. Had to switch back to ‘D’ a few times but ‘L’ worked pretty nice. Felt like a natural use of “low” gear. I averaged a hair under 40 mpg for that 140 mile trip and 5,500 ft elevation drop and even hit 41.2 mpg at one point (trip avg, not instantaneous). Love this car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.