Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

300C vs Buick Lacrosse

9K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  Torian 
#1 ·
I am still deciding whether to purchase a 300 C platinum or a Buick lacrosse. I have had the opportunity to test drive a lacrosse and it was very enjoyable, however, i have not test drove a new 300 c as there are none to be 2015 or 16 in minnesota where i live. I like the awd on the lacrosse, however, it is not a necessity as i already own a silverado for the snow. I really like the fact that the 300c comes with an optional v8 and rwd as i would prefer the v8 to the v6 offerred by the lacrosse. Anyone spend any time with both these vehicles and could provide more insight as to which one to purchase and why? I really liked many of the features on the lacrosse and it seems that the 300 does not have as many. How is the interior on the new 300c compared to the lacrosse? I was very impressed with the interior and real wood trim on the lacrosse and wondered how the 300c compared.

Also, if i did go with the 300 i would like to supercharge the engine. Has anyone done something like that with one of the newer 300s. I quick search on google does not bring up any superchargers for the newer 300s (14 and up), only the older models.

#2 ·
300C vs Lacrosse

A car is a very personal thing. My opinion may differ completely from yours. I've owned a 2008 300C V8 and I currently own a 2012 300s V6. I recently rented a Buick for work and put about 100 miles on it.

My impressions were that it was a nice car, but it felt cheap. It had about 10k miles, so it wasn't beat up or worn. But to me it just didn't measure up to my 300 in any way, other than the gas pedal was a bit more responsive. (my 300s has about 48k miles on it).

There could be a 100 different reasons for all of this. I am rather tactile when it comes to cars, so how the car feels matters to me.

Don't know if this helps, but that's my 2 cents. Good luck on your decision.

#3 ·
I have owned Buicks most of my life. We had a 2007 Lacrosse as a second car, and it was nice. We had Centurys, LeSabres, and a Lucerne, and when it was time to buy a new Buick, I wanted a new Lucerne. Don't make them anymore. I looked at the Lacrosse (very different from our 2007) I didn't like it at all. It felt too closed in, and the side pillars and rear view was bad. It didn't "feel" right. Drove a 300, and pretty well bought one on the spot. I recently parked next to a black Lacrosse, and my black 300, looks sooooo much better. But it is a personal thing. Buy what you like.

#4 ·
If pedigree, enthusiasts, brand excitement, performance reputation and customization potential mean anything to you then the Buick is not what you want. You won't find websites, car clubs, owners clubs, etc for Buicks like you do for MOPAR products. You won't find any late model Buicks at car shows. You won't find endless 3rd party aftermarket suppliers for Buick Lacrosses either.
Get the 300 with a Hemi and you'll enjoy all of the above along with the rest of us crazy MOPAR guys.

#6 · (Edited)
You won't find websites, car clubs, owners clubs, etc for Buicks like you do for MOPAR products. .
There are lots of Buick sites, clubs, etc. Granted, most Buick people don't turn to after market parts (enhancements) like 300 owners do.

What's a Buick? Isn't that what old people used to drive in the 80's?
Maybe, but young people drove them also, including myself at the time. They were reliable, quality built, and held their resale value, three things Chrysler couldn't come close to in the 80s. Even today, it still has a hard time shaking that poor quality and reliability image. We all know the resale value of a Chrysler still sucks. Those were concerns of mine, and still are to some degree, however Buick did not fit my needs or wants, whereas the 300 did, and I "ain't" no spring chicken.

#5 ·
What's a Buick? Isn't that what old people used to drive in the 80's?

#7 ·
If I had to give up my 300 for a V6, I would probably opt for a loaded Impala before the Buick. Buick however has come a long way recently and came out with some great offerings...so I'll give them that. Still, I like the Impala. It moves too for a V6.

#11 ·
Hahaha ha! Awesome!

#12 ·
Hey guys,

From being in a car rental business I have experience with both vehicles. I have driven the lacrosse, regal, and Verano. And we also have new 300s that I drive pretty frequently. In my experience with the Buick are that there are rattles and squeaks from the interior. Also on the lacrosse, the rear view camera glitches on multiple lacrosses that I have driven which is extremely annoying when backing up. And in one instance, a customer was driving the lacrosse on the highway and the car shut off, locking his steering.

Moreover, with the 300s and the charger have never had any issues. I know this may sound bias but it is true. Every employee in the company always chooses to drive a 300s or charger over any of the competitors. This is the reason why I personally bought a 2012 300c instead.

#13 ·
I always thought the Lucerne was more the original counterpart or competitor for the 300. Since it is no longer available, I don't believe it's appropriate to compare the Lacrosse, given it was lower on the ladder at Buick. They may have upgraded it but I doubt it could occupy the space left by the Lucerne. This could account for those who feel the Lacrosse seems "cheaper" on the interior, etc.

Either way, the 300 is way more preferable to me, though I have an uncle who owns a Lacrosse and seems very happy with it.

#14 ·
I always thought the Lucerne was more the original counterpart or competitor for the 300. Since it is no longer available, I don't believe it's appropriate to compare the Lacrosse, given it was lower on the ladder at Buick. .
I believe you might be right. The Lacrosse is no Lucerne, and cannot be compared to the 300. Unfortunately the 300 is no Lucerne. Very close, but no cigar. The Lucerne has a nicer "feel" all 'round and is an excellent highway drive. It only lacks in the looks department compared to the 300. 300s look real sharp.

#17 ·
There were always 2 sides to my family. GM or Chrysler. I remember one of my uncles threw a wrench in the whole thing and went with a '66 mustang. Then later a second uncle went a mach I, so having fords in the family threw things out of balance for a few years.

Obviously I grew up on the Chrysler side, but I remember riding in very nice buicks (roadmasters and 225s) all my life. The Lucerne was the one I would consider for sure, but I'm not certain I wouldn't consider another hemi v8 300.

#20 ·
I can see comparing the 300 with a new Cadillac product - RWD, good looking, performance history, comfort, V6 and V8's. But this whole thing of trying to decide whether a 300 or a Buick? in this forum? Might as well be trying to decide if I should buy a Challenger or a Honda Civic.

#22 ·
Car and Driver days it best...

Verdict:*Modern enough for a new generation of grandparents who remember the sweep-spears and VentiPorts on their own grandparents’ Buicks.

Sounds like a barrel of excitement and driving bliss. Lol.

Two very different cars... A 300 brings with it a nostalgia, so does the Buick, just not sure I like the type of nostalgia!

Personally... Many other cars for the same money in the same class I'd go for first.

#23 ·
I owned both: Traded in the Buick because even though I had the blind spot monitoring, I was afraid to change lanes in traffic due to the rear visibility. Also, the V6 was no comparison to my Hemi. The Buick is heavy and when I punched the pedal, I never knew what the Buick's engine was going to do: take off like a bat out of hell, or not. Otherwise, the car was gorgeous!

#25 ·
Alright I really want to test drive one of these now. I believe the benefits of the v8 outweighs anything else i could get from the lacrosse. Also the 300 is just a very attractive vehicle overall.

I read on the internet that getting the harmon kardon sound system for the car means i would not get the power rear sunshade. Can anyone vouch whether getting the premium sound system would be worth it for someone like myself that loves music. I never owned a vehicle with a sunshade so i have no idea whether this feature is a big deal.

#27 ·
I read on the internet that getting the harmon kardon sound system for the car means i would not get the power rear sunshade. Can anyone vouch whether getting the premium sound system would be worth it for someone like myself that loves music. I never owned a vehicle with a sunshade so i have no idea whether this feature is a big deal.
My 300S has the Dr. Dre - Beats audio system with the built in trunk woofer. The sound is clear and fills the car but only if you have it cranked up. The base which should be awesome is not awesome at all. I'd be happy to trade it for a Harmon Kardon system.
I do have the sunshade too which I've used a total of maybe 6 times in 3 years. It might be nice for folks that live in the desert or someplace very south and hot but not really used that much anywhere else.

#26 ·
I really like the sunshade here is hot Arizona. Helps to keep the car cool when parked. Probably not an issue there in Canada...oops Minnesota! On a serious note, the sunshade also helps at night with headlights behind. I never have liked autodimming mirrors since I like manual control and more sensitive to lights at night with my vision correction.

#28 ·
My two cents...I would forget the HK system. $2k is a lot of coin and from what I have read here it isn't worth it given the rattling issues. Get the rear sunshade. Then spend your $1-2k on a premium custom system and have it both ways!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 ·
We weren't going to order the HK system originally, but we took it when our dealer found the car we wanted, except with the HK system. Sure beat waiting for a new build. And frankly I have found the HK system on our 300C Platinum to be everything as advertised. The sound is amazing, and fills the interior evenly. I don't know where they are hiding 19 speakers, but they've done a fine job. AND I think they figured out and fixed the former rattling issue in the rear deck. Ours doesn't do that at all.

#33 ·
I prefer the looks of the 300, but, unfortunately, if you want AWD, which is available on both the LaCrosse and the 300, the HEMI factor is out of the picture. Come on Chrysler -- you had a winning combination with the V8 AWD in the 300 and now if you want AWD you have to settle for the V6? What are you thinking? I've got a 2012 V8 AWD, was due to trade in 2015 but didn't because I didn't want the V6. 2016? Same situation. I guess I'll be holding on to the 2012 for a bit longer. I've owned a 2005, 2009 & 2012 300C and after owning the first one I never even seriously cross-shopped because of the unparalleled drivetrain combo. This time around in 2016 or 2017 I'll have to look more critically at the competition as Chrysler has eliminated one of its major advantages.

#36 ·
I had a GTP with a s/c 3.8 that made 400fwhp, that motor was bullet proof as long as the tune was right.... Made more KR than any vehicle I've owned due to how hot they run but the motor itself was stout. The 3.8 is for sure the 'workhorse' of GM...

I agree on the Northstar V8.... junk. Nothing but problems in the 3 I knew of and gutless wonders in the sleds they were in.

#42 ·
I was, but Dakur I think was making the comparison to the Pentastar V6 in terms of a higher degree of complexity as well.

Thankfully, the Pentastar seems to be a good engine, and its widespread use also (I think) is indicative of good quality control measures involved in the production process. Let's face it...using a garbage engine across multiple echelons of vehicles would just blow up in your face as a car manufacturer.

Perhaps the higher degree of complexity with newer engines is needed to meet ever-increasing fuel efficiency standards as well as designs that create much more HP per cylinder than their predecessors?

The Pentastar, for a 3.6 engine, was remarkably power and fuel efficient at the same time in my 2012 300S. I was continually impressed with everything about it...and 50,000 miles in...not one hiccup either. She was one smooth runner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.