Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Anyone else constantly getting flashed by other drivers?

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  dominic1955 
#1 ·
I think my 2015 HIDs are brighter than my 2012. Combined that with their new fogs...and they push some serious lumens.

I'm getting tired however of constantly getting flashed by other drivers who don't realize that I have my lows on...NOT my highs.

>:D

What personally kills me are the aftermarket HIDs in a non-focused housing....so the HID beam is all over the place. At least our HIDs are projected and focused down onto the road.

#3 ·
They are properly adjusted. I get flashed 1-2 times a night, but I think it is by old-timers who don't realize just how bright HIDs are.

I can confidently say that the new HIDs are brighter than my 2012 HIDs, and the LED fogs, if you are running them, only add to the brightness.

#4 ·
We occasionally get flashed, but I tend to think that the aim of the 2015 BiXenon lows are a bit higher our previous 2006's HIDs. I know they re-calibrate each start up, but I'm wondering if that's from "level" or is there an adjustment screw for the general aim as well.

#7 ·
Both my 2nd Gen 300s had the low beam set way too high.

As a guide when it's dark, on a level road, put the car in low beam setting, walk 25 feet in front of the car , turn round, crouch down as if you in a sitting postion [ yeah it's OK, the neighbours already think you're a loony ] and if you are dazzled the headlights are set too high.

#9 ·
Haha, nice description. However you're not far off in a sense. There are many specs on how to do it but most are pretty close in detail. Here is one that popped up.

Without indicators in the housing or professional headlamp alignment equipment, you have to look at how the beams strike a vertical flat surface, and if they're off, make adjustments.

Proper headlight aim is critical. Check aim with a driver in the car and a full tank of gas. The low-beam cutoff (a) should be slightly below the center of the lens (b) to keep glare out of oncoming traffic and reduce the light reflection that occurs during rainy or snowy weather. The bend in the cutoff should be slightly to the right of the center of the lane, for the same purpose. This will illuminate the road surface in front of the car, as well as the curb area to the right.

There is a standard procedure, using a flat and level driveway facing a gray or dull white wall that is free of any source of peripheral light (perhaps the back wall of your garage, interior lights off). The open space on the wall should be at least the width of the vehicle plus an extra 2 ft. per side. Check the tire pressures—they have to be right. Confirm that the car is on level ground by using a good carpenter's level on the side of the vehicle—on an SUV try the roof, and on most cars, the door frame. Park the car so it's exactly 25 ft. from the wall to the face of the headlamps—don't estimate. Some exceptions include Toyota, which specifies 10 ft., Pontiac GTO at 15 ft., and Chrysler, which specifies 33 ft. on some models. However, the 25-ft. procedure should produce satisfactory results for most vehicles. Use a tape measure in any case.

Check the suspension ride height side to side to make sure there's no excessive suspension sag.

Now comes a lot of very careful measuring. First, identify the physical center of each low-beam headlamp—with today's multilamp housings, actually turn on the lamps to be sure you have the right lamp. Some headlamps have a small dot or circle at the center. Make a tape cross over the center of each lamp, and a vertical tapeline down the center of the windshield. Using a tape measure, make the corresponding alignment marks on the wall.

Ref: How to Adjust Your Headlights - Aim Your Headlights

#10 ·
The HID's in the 2015 "Light Group" option are auto-leveling and do a self test at startup. I haven't been flashed yet, even in very dark areas with no street lighting.

Funny how people don't catch on though, if you see a car with fog lights on they can't possibly have their high beams on because the system won't allow it on any car I know of.

Reactions: Jim777
#11 ·
Funny how people don't catch on though, if you see a car with fog lights on they can't possibly have their high beams on because the system won't allow it on any car I know of.
I find some oncoming cars with fog lights on, far more annoying than someone having their high beams on. I never use my fogs, as the one time I did try them, found them to be pretty much useless anyway, except perhaps to annoy other drivers. I am very happy with just my stock low and high beams, and I do a lot of country driving in the dark and in the fog.

#13 ·
Never had a car with fog lights before the 300. I find myself only using them when, um, it's foggy (or under other less than ideal visibility conditions). As for being the other driver, reflector lenses of fog lights seem to disperse instead of direct, do even when bright, they are not annoying or distracting. Definitely not like high beams

#16 ·
Agreed Fogs should be used exactly as it says - when it's foggy.

Whilst it doesn't seem to be illegal in some states there is an issue using fogs in clear visibility which makes driving more dangerous, perhaps feels a bit odd at first sight. However having the road immediately in front of the car and only for a short distance brighter than any other part of the road causes your eyes to adjust to that brighter light which in turn makes vision further out worse - logical if you think about it!

I'm sure you've noticed a lot of new European cars BMW/VW etc that as they make a tight turn one foglight comes on so it lights up the side of the road temporarily - example here: BMW which is an attempt at having the best of both worlds - brighter immediately in front of the car when maneuvering at low speed and turning off when driving normally

#14 ·
Hi all, newbie oldhippie here.
Though I'd add to this thread instead of starting a new one. New owner of a 2011 300C and since I got it, it seems the headlights are aimed pretty high. I do a fair amount of night driving and I've only been flashed once but going through my neighborhood, they seem to shoot right up in the trees.
They adjust every time I start the car but just seem high to me. Where are the adjusters on that car?
Thanks.

#15 ·
Same here. I get flashed all the time at night by oncoming drivers. It must be a common problem with the 2nd Gen 300s. Just last night I noticed a car quite far behind me on the interstate with really bright low beams and sure enough, when it passed me I noticed it was another 2nd Gen 300.

Does anyone know how to adjust them ourselves without having to take it back to the dealer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.