Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Gadget for improving throttle response?

18K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  irunguns 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You can get the diablosport intune and that has throttle boost so you make the throttle more touchy. Also it will give you a performance boost. You could also unhook the battery and that will reset the adaptives on the car. The throttle response will get lazy if the car is driven like a granny for some time.

#3 ·
Driving like a granny is never one of my problems.

I had the car in the shop today for a problem with my rear window sunshade. And I asked about the poor throttle response. the manager took it for a ride and just said that's normal for the electronic throttle. I looked at him and said, a 1.5 to 2 second lag is normal? He said for this car yes.

I looked at the Diablo, It's very expensive and I am not looking for more horsepower, I think that is fine on this car. I just want to be able to step on the throttle when coming out of a corner and have it respond before I have finished the turn.. I actually had the engine finally respond strongly just after I finished a corner and it almost made me lose control because I was not expecting the power at that point.
Seems like this could be a potential safety problem for drivers that actually try to use the power of this car.

#4 ·
The first thing I'd like to tell you is that if you wanted good throttle response you probably should have went with the v8. However, that is just douchy of me to say, so instead let me talk about why I think the Diablo path is the way to go.

Diablo one of the few companies out there that you can trust not to screw things up when you plug in one of their devices. If you really want to be able to effectively adjust throttle response you might as well take the plunge and get all the options on the table. The v6 can come alive with the right tweaks, but I'd only go with a brand that has a proven track record for these sort of things, and a support team to help you through it if you have issues.

I had a 2012 with a v6 and opted for a 2015 with a v8 when it came time to do a trade in. At this point I can't imagine going back to the v6.

#6 · (Edited)
My v6 is quick but I made 2 mods to it, first give it cold air from in front of the radiator look up my 8.00 cold air intake, makes a huge difference in how it drives, and dont fall for the supposed air intakes that suck warm engine air from the back side of the radiator, second is stop it from sucking oil into the intake manifold through the positive crankcase ventilation setup by installing an oil separator, the oil vapor causes the knock sensors on the block to retard the timing at times and screws up how the engine runs. Not to mention the carbon buildup on the pistons and the intake valves. The Hemis are even worse on the oil problem I regularly drain 4-5 oz of oil from the separator at each oil change. If you go the Diablo tune route it will require premium fuel if you want a performance gain which is why I did not put one on mine. Gas is cheap at the moment but that is a temporary situation. The gadget you found is just that a gadget they dont work.

#9 · (Edited)
My v6 is quick but I made 2 mods to it, first give it cold air from in front of the radiator look up my 8.00 cold air intake, makes a huge difference in how it drives,
The cold air intake method you mentioned seem interesting. I have been thinking about how to do it. I would want the air intake mounted inside the lower grill instead of at the fog lights though. Just my preference.

What would the preferred size of tubing to use? Would 3 inch be ok? Would I need to make any further adjustments to the engine to allow for the ram air?

... And thats how you drive a corner.

Brake before a corner, enter under low/moderate power and accelerate past the apex. He's talking about actually driving a corner hard, not just driving around it.

Make sense? I think that's the point he's getting at, he's in a corner at a manageable speed the chassis is loading up and he's at the apex, at that point he wants to come on the power in a smooth and linear fashion so he go's for the power, receives no attention and then after negotiating the bend in an uncomfortable manner gets the power he no longer needs... That's a bad recipe.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I like the way you described it.

So the best way to do the Diablo would be to get the extra module so that if I need to take the car back to the dealer for warranty work I can just change it out with the original.
Anyone ever been "caught" by the dealer using the Diablo?

One of the recommended dyno people the website mentions as diablo authorized is just a couple of miles from me.

I do not really need the extra horsepower, I think the V6 has plenty. And I am not looking forward to having to use premium fuel. Is there a way to just adjust the pedal response and not add the extra horsepower and the need for the premium fuel? I do want to have the shift range adjusted and tune the torque range a bit though. I don't like how the transmission shifts now.

#11 ·
Do a cold air intake if you like but I suspect that some of the throttle lag may be due to a dirty throttle body.

Pull your air intake hose off the TB and inspect the TB barrel and butterfly valve. It may need to be cleaned.

As far as a programmer, well, it will help but the one of the more bang for the buck mods you can do to improve throttle response is a cold air intake.

Forget the "ram air" effect. It won't help a stock engine/TB/intake manifold arrangement with respects to throttle response and there's really no help with respects to HP or torque either. Remember, there's no air flowing into that frontal area when you are stopped or moving away from a stop. Secondly, there's too much other stuff in the way to make it viable due to all the bends you'd have to make in the transport piping. You want the cleanest, most direct air flow you can get into the engine which is why most cold air intake have a smooth and straight tube coming from behind the headlight or attached to the stock airbox.

#12 ·
To add to this... Ambient under hood Temps only effect intake Temps for a fraction of a second off idle... The second you hit the throttle the air Temps are virtually a moot point unless you're talking forced induction...

#14 ·
I put the Diablosport tuner on my 2014 and if your looking to "wake up" the car it is the way to go. There are cheaper products out there but the intune is proven to be safe for the car and you just made an investment into a new car you don't want some cheap knock off tuner to be plugged into your new car. Just my opinion but I think you will not regret spending the $$

#15 ·
The Diablo tuner with either a 91 or 93 octane tune will also give you anywhere from 15 to 20 extra horsepower and 15 to 20 extra foot pounds of torque. It also lets you flash back to the original factory settings just in case you go to a dealer that you think might give you flack for having a different program loaded.

#16 ·
The Diablo tuner with either a 91 or 93 octane tune will also give you anywhere from 15 to 20 extra horsepower and 15 to 20 extra foot pounds of torque.
As much as I love diablosport for unlocking our cars in a far superior way to the other junk out there... They, much like other companies, are pretty misleading in their numbers. In the real world it will be a miracle if you gain 10hp/10tq from a canned tune... Let alone double. However the big thing is the power you don't leave on the table from the restrictive stock tune, it just makes the car more crisp and attentive... Plus it gives you the ability to reduce torque management (robs up to 100mph on a shift on some cars!), sharpen throttle response, tighten shifts and increase engine speed etc etc... Its just a great tool... I'm just always leary to tell people 'you'll gain 20hp' the second you plug it in as honestly as a combined mod with others maybe, but alone I think it's a stretch.

#20 ·
This sounds really interesting to me. I hate the throttle response in my car. Has anyone in this forum use the diablo intune in a 2013 with V6 and the 8-spd tranny?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.