Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Headlight Condensation

146K views 332 replies 95 participants last post by  typan 
#1 ·
I bought a 2011 300 c 2 days ago with the optional xenon headlamps and have noticed a condensation buildup on the inside of both headlights. I live in Florida and the weather has been 75 degrees.

Does anyone have recommendations?

#5 ·
With the bulb removed you can use a hair dryer on the outside of the lense to drive the moisture out.

#6 ·
Cleared up mine, but I see it's back... I'll have to try the hair dryer trick. I'm sure my neighbours will be impressed that I have to F around with the headlights to solve a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place on this brand new car.

Also noticed I get a lot of condensation in the cold at the bottom of the rear window. Considering the cold air comes in right under that, between it and the trunk lid, I'm not so surprised by that.

#8 ·
I just purchased a 300 2011 chrysler limited on 12/9/11= Before I left the dealers I noticed the condensation. Told them give me another car-NOOOOOOOO
so before I drove off the light they were ordering me 2 new headlights, said $1100.00= paid all this oney and it is messed up before I drive it off the
lot. I am devastated to say the least. Nothing from the dealer yet!!! they said they found 4 other cars with the same problem. Lucky Me had to get one of them. It goes and just when I think maybe just maybe its gone- there it is again. I also live in Fl. and it has been 75.
spoke to a guy with an Audi and he does not have this trouble- said its a air leak! can anyone give me some advice?

#10 ·
To all, I visited my dealer today and ordered a set of mud flaps and am having them install them tomorrow morning. I spoke with the service manager and pointed out the condensation and he took some notes and said that they will correct the problem after installing the mud flaps. When I asked had he ever seen this before, he said he has seen this in a few cases. Interesting to me and I will post the results of my visit tomorrow.

#14 ·
I agree we paid to much to do anything to this car-thats why its guaranteed===
had some condensation in the small side this a/m nothing to terrible. about the size of a half
dollar, not as bad like some pics i saw on there. please let me know what the dealer says.
I just hate to think oif them taking the headlights out of my new car===plus it goes on our car fax====

#20 · (Edited)
Well...I visited the dealer today and had the MOPAR mudflaps installed. I believe they will function well but look a little cheap (black plastic) especially the rear flaps. There is a gap between the flap and the car. While there, I had them look at the condensation in both headlights, 2 tears in the rear shade, and the rear button for rear sunshade not working (I'll get to this later) The service writer was nice enough, but very matter of fact surrounding the headlights.

FF 3 hours and the actual mechanic called me into the service bay to show me how he fixed the rear sunshade button...it is sinc'd with the power windows lockout button (user error). He did show me the internal Chrysler document acknowledging awareness of the condensation problem and the suggested fix was to turn on high beams and put in the sun fo 1/2 hour. After 45 minutes, he told me that he called over the service supervisor and showed him that no progress was made. He then told me that they were going to decide whether or not they would replace them. I thanked him and patiently spoke with the service writer surrounding my concerns. The decision was made to order new headlights along with a rear sunshade to repair the torn one. Appointment in a week as I am leaving for Christmas.

I will post my results after next Thursday's visit. I am new to these forums and appreciate the community feedback. Heck, I don't even have a Facebook account.

#23 · (Edited)
The dealer is wrong. They will replace the headlights with new units that will do exactly the same thing.

If there was an electrical issue there would be a TSB or a recall.

They are under warranty for the next 3 years - NOTHING is or will be your fault -whats your rush ?

They cost $1100.00 for the pair , not each.

The dealer is employing scare tactics and will be using YOUR car as a guinea pig.

Bottom line though Its your decision and your car.

#24 · (Edited)
oh thank you- there will be no rush- i keot saying its not ginna be the same-
some days they are fine other days one may habe a size of a 50 cents piec asnd then
gone. I can live with this- and like u said i have 3 years- seems alot of us have this problem
thank you again- merry cxas and a very very happy new year============
my car isstayong like it is for now------
thanks again!!!!!!!!!

#26 ·
Wow! I can't beleive this is an issue. I just picked up a 2012 300 Str8 and I'm in day 4 with this annoying condensation and its pretty bad...It takes up the bottom 1/3 of the both headlights and looks horrible. It really bothers me especially since I paid close to 55K!!!!!:scared: I'm going to try the highbeam trick see if anything happens but please keep us informed if a recall is issued. I"ll see where I get with my dealer when I go back to get Roadbloc(protective clearcoat) installed on the front.

I know some cars, I beleive its Audi,that actually has a little fan built in to the headlight housing to extract moisture from the headlight, if Chrysler wanted to be like them then they should have paid closer attention and would have this problem with defective product and unsatisfied customers.

#27 · (Edited)
I know some cars, I beleive its Audi,that actually has a little fan built in to the headlight housing to extract moisture from the headlight
Range Rover has that system also. There are two rubber hoses that connect to the back of the lamp units. One on the top back side and one on the lower backside at the opposite end. One delivers a fresh air flow into the unit , the other flows out with the moisture and relieves the condensation issue.

#32 ·
I have the projector Halogen Bi- Functional Head Lamps and Fog Lamps
looked this a/m and no condensation, its going to rain., so we will see.

Also taking car back to dealer Friday A/M-airbag light keeps coming on for
passenger seat. Have to keep putting it seat in upright position for it to go off,
and then at a certain point the light comes on again.
Dealer told me could be a wire, or bad air bag, said i would have to wait till they check it
out. Have to be there 7 a/m- they will diagnosis it. will let everyone know what happened with this. :censored:

#31 ·
Window sticker says "Projector Halogen Bi-Function Headlamps" under the standard equipment features, nothing about headlamps under the optional equipment portion.

#35 · (Edited)
FYI for you guys...I was just at the dealership yesterday to get Roadblock installed (protective clear film on the front of the car) and while I was there I had them check out the lights. The service mgr emailed Chrysler and got a response instantly, a STAR Notice, which stated they are aware of the issue and that some condensation is normal. They also said to order dust covers for the vents holes. I asked what are dust covers going to for the condensation and the service mgr said the vent hole in these lights are allowing too much moisture in so these dust covers will hopefully prevent some moisture from getting in and cure the condensation issue. At least that's what Chrysler is hoping for....a cheap fix. It sounds logically so I will let you guys know when these dust covers come in and if they make any difference. Either way Chrysler is working on the problem.

#36 ·
I had them for the first couple weeks, now they're gone and have been gone. And its gotten chilly (well for CA) down to ~36F at late night, and on my 35 min drive home nothing...

Knock on wood, its gone for me...

#37 ·
When I was at the dealership they tried the highbeams ON with the bulb access caps OFF for 45 minutes and it did dry up.....BUT as soon as they pulled my car outside and the cold air and wind hit the lights the condensation built right up almost instantly again. It was kinda funny and sad at the same time...

#38 · (Edited)
Condensation occurs whenever the temperature drops below the dew point of the air (e.g., fog on a cold night after a storm or near a body of water, moisture forming on the outside of a drink glass chilled with ice, fogging on the inner windshield on a cold morning after you get in and breathe a bit). So, the trick to avoiding condensation is to make the air as dry as possible, or keep the air moving over the warmest surface to prevent the water droplets from forming, or warm the air enough to raise the dew point for that side of the surface.

It's funny they'd take the time to dry out the inside of the light housing with the high beams on (warming the inner air volume), but then not close up the largest openings in the housing to keep the air as dry as possible inside afterwards. Condensation will always form on the warmest side of a surface if the air is moist enough. The condensation reformed afterwards because when the lights were turned off it sucked in the moist air through the housing's openings. Then, when you pulled out into the much colder air, it hit the lens surface condensing the moisture on the inner lens surface all over again. This also explains why driving a bit with the lights on clears the lens. Since heating the air inside the housing also raises its air pressure, I bet if the moisture drain holes had little thin flaps over them, or plugs with one-way flaps in them to let the air out with the moisture and temperature rise, but not back in after the air inside cools down, this problem would go away.

I wonder if a squirt of canned air in the inside of the housing after drying the air with the high beams, then quickly sealing the housing holes would be enough to stop this issue? Sealed beam headlights don't have this issue because the dried air is sealed inside when they're made.

#45 ·
I wonder if a squirt of canned air in the inside of the housing after drying the air with the high beams, then quickly sealing the housing holes would be enough to stop this issue? Sealed beam headlights don't have this issue because the dried air is sealed inside when they're made.
You can't seal the headlights, they have to have a breather somewhere. If you don't provide a breather, one will get created due to atmospheric pressure changes. You want to control where the breather is, and how it's designed. So the retrofit may actually be very successful if it's designed well.

#39 ·
The solution for this issue is a simple one, however there will be a cost to Chrysler. Using the existing vent holes, snap in fittings with gaskets must be designed that would easily allow rubber tubing to be attached to plumb for fresh air delivery and circulation within the lenses. Whether this is accomplished by using vacuum from the engine, a small electric air pump, or by another means is up to Chrysler. Considering all the technology and development that went into this car , the condensation issue has become, "One of those mundane details that was overlooked" , and someones ass at Chrysler is now on the line for it. I would hate to be that guy right now. A solution will eventually come from Chrysler. On the positive side, condensation will not cause you to be stranded, so just be patient.

#40 ·
I agree with everything you said the problem is, its not just fogging up, its serious condensation with pretty big waters droplets forming. The bigger water droplet are extremely hard to dry up and form way too easily. In my case driving with lights on does nothing for it. it just doesn't go away so far in 2 weeks of driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.