Lifespan on a 5.7 HEMI? - Page 3 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Performance Forums > Power Train > 5.7 V8 Engines
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Points: 830, Level: 1 Points: 830, Level: 1 Points: 830, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 19912
Mr. Incredible I wish I would have known that before. This makes me wonder if he really even checked...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Contributing Member
Points: 8,169, Level: 1 Points: 8,169, Level: 1 Points: 8,169, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 Class View Post
Mr. Incredible I wish I would have known that before. This makes me wonder if he really even checked...

Do a search and you'll find a thread where Mr I helped another member who swapped out his 2.7L( or 3.5L) and placed a 6.1L in it. I haven't heard any posted issues from that swap.

"The older I get, the faster I drive. Some might say I'm racing to an early grave. Hemi now?"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 21,707, Level: 1 Points: 21,707, Level: 1 Points: 21,707, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 Class View Post
i too thought of just putting a 6.1 engine in instead of the regular 5.7 but apparently there are some problems with the dimensions and the 6.1 wont fit, unless it was just my mechanic not wanting to do the extra work...
pretty sure the physical dimensions of both hemi's are exactly the same.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 32300
Hi there, My name is Patrick. Just joined a few days ago, our 06 300C quit and I was searching for info RE: engine failure. The dealer acted as if they had no idea what happened - they just said they needed to pull the heads. I asked if they had run any codes. They said that wouldn't help. I told them they should be able to use a bore scope to examine possible damage after running codes and they said this would be a waste of time. I had the car towed to another shop. Turns out part of the piston is missing in #4. Seems to me that 129,000 miles should not be the end to a V8. Do you know of anyone else that has experienced a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Contributing Member
Points: 43,588, Level: 1 Points: 43,588, Level: 1 Points: 43,588, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300 LTD AWD
Member Number: 22917
Send a message via MSN to Bronek
So many things need to be considered. There are failures that happen on some of them due to planned obsolescence. Is anything done to the car? Any power adders? A piston breaking is rare at best under normal circumstance.
I do not believe in fire-breathing dragons, multi-coloured unicorns, good-willed people, omni-present creators, or other mythical creatures.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Major Contributing Member
Points: 4,358, Level: 1 Points: 4,358, Level: 1 Points: 4,358, Level: 1

Car: 2010 chrysler 300c Bright Silver
Member Number: 9616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltruth View Post
Hi there, My name is Patrick. Just joined a few days ago, our 06 300C quit and I was searching for info RE: engine failure. The dealer acted as if they had no idea what happened - they just said they needed to pull the heads. I asked if they had run any codes. They said that wouldn't help. I told them they should be able to use a bore scope to examine possible damage after running codes and they said this would be a waste of time. I had the car towed to another shop. Turns out part of the piston is missing in #4. Seems to me that 129,000 miles should not be the end to a V8. Do you know of anyone else that has experienced a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
it would be a waste of time to borescope the damage is done and 129k is not very many miles for a 5.7 and its not a common problem and they have to tear it a part to find out why it could be a number of reasons for # 4 the piston failure and we have no idea how often oil was changed etc and what preventive maintenance you have done and this is a very uncommon for this engine its normally bullet proof as the transmission.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 9,384, Level: 1 Points: 9,384, Level: 1 Points: 9,384, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c AWD
Member Number: 6238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltruth View Post
Hi there, My name is Patrick. Just joined a few days ago, our 06 300C quit and I was searching for info RE: engine failure. The dealer acted as if they had no idea what happened - they just said they needed to pull the heads. I wonder how they knew they needed to pull the heads if they had no idea what happened? I asked if they had run any codes. They said that wouldn't help. That is downright foolish. I told them they should be able to use a bore scope to examine possible damage after running codes and they said this would be a waste of time. A bore scope would have easily discovered the popped top ring land. I had the car towed to another shop. Good move! Turns out part of the piston is missing in #4. Ouch! Number 4 is an odd one to go. Are there any others? Seems to me that 129,000 miles should not be the end to a V8. Do you know of anyone else that has experienced a similar problem? Back before the Predator and mod'rs couldn't add more fuel this was a common problem generally associated with a couple of the cylinders running lean, it wasn't #4 though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronek View Post
So many things need to be considered. There are failures that happen on some of them due to planned obsolescence. Is anything done to the car? Any power adders? The most common culprit. A piston breaking is rare at best under normal circumstance. On a stock engine it is but bad gas could easily be the culprit on a stock engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetech00001 View Post
it would be a waste of time to borescope the damage is done (he asked the original shop to do this in lieu of pulling the heads and before the second shop identified the broken piston) and 129k is not very many miles for a 5.7 and its not a common problem and they have to tear it a part to find out why (not really, they most certainly have to tear it down to fix it now that the problem has been discovered. They may find something that a scope couldn't but there is no guarantee that they will find anything more.) it could be a number of reasons for # 4 the piston failure and we have no idea how often oil was changed etc and what preventive maintenance you have done and this is a very uncommon for this engine its normally bullet proof as the transmission. The top ring lands of the 05-08 5.7L are actually very susceptible to damage.
Socaltruth...Not really sure what you are looking for with this post as the problem seems to have been discovered by the second shop. All that seems left to do is have them tear it down and replace the bad piston(s). Ask them to keep a lookout for whatever could have caused the failure, but they will probably do that anyway. If it is a new car to you something like Carfax might help. Otherwise, like has been previously stated, without knowing the history of the engine it could be any number of reasons for the failure.
275/40/20 Pirelli's; Detata DD 20x9; KW VII coilovers; Dynatech LTs; CORSA; DR Heads; FRI Littleboy Cam; 6.1 crank; ATI OD damper; RR forged 8.6:1 pistons; forged rods; ARP head studs; 2800 TC; BB Stage II Valve Body; Getrag 226 mm Diff, axles/hubs/knuckles; Young's Gear driveshaft; Harrop 2300; Sun manifold w/ intercooler; 18 psi w/ 90 octane; 900 cc injectors; Fore hat w/ duel 255 walbros, regulator, fuel rails; KB BAP; Meth Injection; PTFC Module;Tuned by Underground Performance.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Points: 606, Level: 1 Points: 606, Level: 1 Points: 606, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2006 DCX S65-SRT
Member Number: 30758
Screw replacing just -ONE- piston.... DanielSon, what you need to be thinking about is an UPGRADE! Punch that little ****er out to 7.0L and stuff it full-o forged bits. No more magically breaking pistons from then on.

Back on topic: I'd imagine 150,000 is a pretty achievable number. After that, the clock's ticking. Things like coolant and oil passages get gunked-up, seals / gaskets / o-rings harden and fail, piston rings and calendar walls file for divorce, clutch packs in the tranny wear down and cause problems, etc, etc.....
Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Points: 1,608, Level: 1 Points: 1,608, Level: 1 Points: 1,608, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 15028
I thought I'd add a little info to this thread.

I'm currently searching for my next 300c. I saw an '06 Hemi today that had 182,000 on it! I thought to myself... "self, you need to drive this thing to see how it has held up under those miles."
So I did. This is my report:

Interior:
The driver seat showed wear from entry/exit, the ashtray drawer had to be finessed in order to stay shut, the interior door panels had some warping on the upper panel right below the windows. The Driver seat power buttons were in poor condition, but still worked. The rest of the interior looked good, not worn and no rattles. (Surprise)

Driving experience:
Wow.
For having 182,000 miles the car drove as I remember my '06 driving when I sold it (only had 40k miles on it). No noticeable lag in the tranny or engine. Very smooth, and yes...still fast.
The car did have aftermarket 22" wheels. They needed balancing and the rotors felt like they needed to be turned.

Not a perfect car, but I was very impressed for the mileage.
It felt like it would go another 100k.

Hope this is helpful.

"If I had all the money I've spent on cars... I'd spend it on cars!"
Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
ADMINISTRATOR
Points: 227,838, Level: 1 Points: 227,838, Level: 1 Points: 227,838, Level: 1
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 "Black Beauty II"
Member Number: 538
The 5.7 Hemi was originally engineered as a truck engine for the Dodge pick-ups.

Companies that run fleets of pick-ups, be they Dodge; Ford or GM, expect 200-250,000 miles on the engine before doing a major overhaul.

There seem to be a lot of 300C; Magnum and Charger R/T's out there with well over 150 thousand miles, on them with no major work needed.

A buddy of mine has a Maggie with 270,000 miles on it. hasn't turned a bolt on the engine; takes it on the track and recently asked me to go lapping with him . . .

I'd say that the 5.7 is definitely a high mileage engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement