Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

How do I disable the seatbelt warning?

41K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  79jasper 
#1 ·
How do I disable the seatbelt warning indicator thing when my seatbelt's not plugged in?

#2 ·
Just use the seatbelt.

#43 ·
What if using the seatbelts does not eliminate the chime/indicator light? I just bought a 2006 300 limited and had my neighbor in the front seat and we both were wearing our seatbelts but the light stayed on and kept chiming/beeping every 1 seconds. We tried unbuckling and re buckling both of our belts and it didnt fix it. How do I fix this?

#3 ·
If you're not going to be of help, please don't. CraigT has a legitimate question, and I am also curious as to how to disable this annoying little feature.

Hopefully a more knowledgeable member will be able to shed some light on this.

#7 ·
The seat belt warning is to warn you that you're not wearing it. If you are worried about the chime noise.. maybe that should be the least of your worries, and you should start worrying about your brains being picked up by a piece of cardboard and your children seeing your accident featured in the next Red Asphalt video..

Don't be a tool, Just wear the belt.

#8 · (Edited)
Backing up here without belt is also legal. Based on the parking lots around here, I end up backing out a lot, but I don't get in my car and go. It's get in the car, dilly dally, get everything set, and then go. Was hoping to remove those beeps at startup. Thanks for jumping to conclusions.

#9 ·
Backing up here without belt is also legal. Based on the parking lots around here, I end up backing out a lot, but I don't get in my car and go. It's get in the car, dilly dally, get everything set, and then go. Was hoping to remove those beeps at startup. Thanks for jumping to conclusions.
lol, So backing up and having to hear the chime is just killing you huh? You cannot live with it anymore? Low tolerance?

#4 ·
Its in the owners manual !!! i dont have it in front of me nor do i have the car(wifes driving it) its something like put the key in leave it on lock then turn it to the on pos and plug the seatbelt 3 times in and out within 60 secs something in that matter check the manual it will tell you dead on how to man good luck

#5 ·
Here you are...

Note:
The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. DaimlerChrysler does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert).
1.Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and buckle the driver's seat belt.
2.Start the engine & wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.
3.Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle & then re-buckle the driver's belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.

Note:
Watch for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn on while unbuckling and off while re-buckling the seat belt. It may be necessary to retract the seat belt.
4. Turn off the engine. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

The Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

Note:
Although the Enhanced Warning System (Belt Alert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver's seat belt remains unbuckled.

#6 ·
Just one thing to mention.. I've done this on my UK model, and it still chimes about 6 times on startup, if you don't have the seat belt fastened.
All this seems to do is disable constant alert.

Seat belts wearing whilst reversing is not a legal requirement here in the UK, so I usually startup and reverse out of my driveway without the belt.

#11 ·
Just one thing to mention.. I've done this on my UK model, and it still chimes about 6 times on startup, if you don't have the seat belt fastened.
All this seems to do is disable constant alert.

Seat belts wearing whilst reversing is not a legal requirement here in the UK, so I usually startup and reverse out of my driveway without the belt.
I've done this on my US model and it doesn't chime at all. The seatbelt light will still come on, but no chime.

#12 ·
Passenger Airbag Alert

Is there any easy way to disable the passenger airbag alert and LED light on the driver's guages?

I had a new wiring harness put in and ever singe then that piece of **** won't stop coming on randomly to harass me with tones. I don't neccessarily want to disable the airbag itself. Just the indicator light.

#13 ·
"The road to hell was paved with good intentions"

I had a friend who was in a bad accident in the late 80's, and the circumstances were as such, that had he been wearing his seatbelt, he would not be among the living today, as he would've been severly impaled by a piece of metal from one of the other vehicles invoved. He did not get away unscathed-he broke his leg, two ribs, his wrist, and nose. He made a full recovery, and as long as I've known him he refuses to wear his seatbelt. I'm sure there are similar testimonials, as well as events where seatbelts have saved lives, and numerous government, and private studies have "shown" us that wearing a seatbelt will save lives more often, as opposed to not wearing one. But the real world is impossible to predict. Too many variables that are out of control. But the propaganda is there- it's on TV, bill boards, road signs, ALL telling and showing you what "could" happen if you don't wear your seatbelt. There will always be a debate about wearing it vs not wearing it, but one thing that is NOT debatable to me, is if a traffic law is there, it makes a city money, regardless of what we're led to believe. ALL the tests in the world, cannot predict chaos theory, which is THE best analogy to describe what happens on streets, freeways and highways around the world every day.

At one time or another, in different countries, provinces, states in the world, have made changes to the laws regarding seatbelt use. Most of us wear one simply because it's the law, and we don't want the ticket. By nature us humans are not so much a lazy race as much as we don't really like being told what to do. If one day there were a law that said seatbelts are dangerous, and therefore you are not allowed by law to wear one, despite your car being equiped with seatbelts, how many tickets do you think they would issue? Probably the same more-or-less, because the same people that complain about having to wear it, will now protest about their right TO wear it, being taken away. The government IS'NT always right, but they make the rules, and they decide what's best for us every day. As the years go by, they make more and more decisions for us, but don't make the mistake to believe that it's ALL for our own good.

I wear my seatbelt 50/50. I always wear it on long trips. Sometimes not to go to the corner store. I believe in it 50/50, as for me either way I feel it's a calculated risk. I don't believe that one should be condemed for choosing not to wear one, regardless if it's the law, or not.

EDIT:
Your best defense, is to pay attention to the road, and other drivers. Keep distractions to a bare minimum, and put that cell phone down- You can always answer that test message later.

#16 ·
I hardly would call wearing your seatbelt "propaganda". Its simple physics that require you do. Sure your friend was probably tossed around the interior enough to avoid being impaled, but that's like saying:

"i won't wear my seatbelt so when I make a short stop I can be ejected from the car and avoid the possibility of burning to death inside it".

I had some friends when I was working in BBY as a college job. They got drunk and drove and got into an accident where the smallest girl was not wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from the car. She was hit by other cars and torn apart.

It was in the newspapers: Jennifer Grabowski (driver) and Betina Madrid (killed).

#15 ·
I was not preaching bro. I was defending you. If you want to drive without your car nagging you to wear a seatbelt, you shouldn't have to be flamed for it. Not wearing a seatbelt may be illegal, but getting nannied by your car is not required. Read the post man. Sheesh!

#26 ·
There are times when I am waiting in the parking lot with the a/c on, reading the paper, where I do not want to hear the chime going off.
Wait a minute.....Your chime is still audible, when you're NOT in motion? I've owned 2 lx'es and neither have ever done that. Only when in motion. Would that have something to do with what country the car is sold in?

#25 ·
I'm glad that you're still among the living brother.

#27 · (Edited)
Looks like I sparked quite the debate..

What Fisch said was right on. I was reluctant at first to even post this topic because I knew it would turn into this.. Many people who've been in a bad car accident or know someone whose been in one usually feel really strongly about seat belts and try to push their opinions and beliefs on you. The fact is that it's a civil liberties issue, and if there's a law against not wearing a seat belt (forcing someone to protect themselves from bodily harm) why isn't there a law against drinking or smoking?

The seat belt law is unjust because:

-not wearing a seat belt doesn't put others at risk, whereas talking on a cellphone and texting while driving do. Even drinking and smoking do (operating vehicles/machinery, and 2nd hand smoke)
-when you don't wear a seat belt, you're not consciously, knowingly, voluntarily harming your body (as you are when you drink or smoke)
-it can be uncomfortable/annoying/a burden
-it can actually kill you like in Vyper's example. Another example is the Charles Lewis accident where his Ferrari was ripped in half, he was killed instantly, his girlfriend (who wasn't wearing a seat belt) was thrown clear of the crash, through the windshield, lived (but had some broken bones). There's also been cases in high-speed crashes where seat belts have decapitated or near-decapitated people.

nuff said..

NOTE: I have nothing against drinking or smoking and was just using them as an example. But if we let the government keep eating away at our civil liberties, those are freedoms we might not have for too long as well...

#28 ·
I agree 100% .. If they had data that said not wearing a seatbelt somehow puts other people at risk, then I think a law is warranted, but I don't think that's the case. As far as drinking/smoking, I think it would make MORE sense to have a law against drinking or smoking, because those are two things that CAN affect other people (I'm not saying I want that law, but that it makes more sense logically than a seat belt law). In many states (mine included) there are laws against talking on a cellphone and driving, and some are even instituting bans on texting....both great ideas (and both discussed at length in another thread).

-it can actually kill you like in Vyper's example. Another example is the Charles Lewis accident where his Ferrari was ripped in half, he was killed instantly, his girlfriend (who wasn't wearing a seat belt) was thrown clear of the crash, through the windshield, lived (but had some broken bones). There's also been cases in high-speed crashes where seat belts have decapitated or near-decapitated people.
Again, I don't think this is a valid point, because the chance is so small. I don't know what the injury rate is for people injured because they were wearing their belt, but I can guarantee it's statistically insignificant compared to the amount of people injured because they were not wearing one.

#30 ·
Again, I don't think this is a valid point, because the chance is so small. I don't know what the injury rate is for people injured because they were wearing their belt, but I can guarantee it's statistically insignificant compared to the amount of people injured because they were not wearing one.
Try telling that to the families of the few who lost someone that way. No matter how small that chance is, it's still there, and unless the government officials have a big crystal ball telling them who survives, and who dies, they should'nt get to tell me if I'm going wear a seatbelt or not. It should be MY choice, for me to account for.

I live in Alberta canada, and for as long as I've lived here, I've seen the seatbelt law go from manatory, to voluntary, and back to mandatory, in the period of a year. Why? Because a group of politicians in a room all have varying opinions of what they think is good for the public. So, if they can't stick to a decision, why should I trust them when they say they are making in the interest of our well being? That's why I named my first post in this thread as "The Road To Hell Was Paved With Good Intentions."

Now I understand just as well as the next guy, that the government must exercise a level of control over it's citizens, to maintain order, and common good, but guess what, that level is growing slowly( the frog being slowly brought to a boil comes to mind). The line has to be drawn somewhere. Here's an example: I'm sure the whole smoking thing has been heard before, but remember when we were first made aware of SECOND hand smoke? Now, there is THIRD hand smoke! Don't believe me? Look it up! Yes, not only are you not allowed to expose the public to second hand, smoke, but NOW they are working on you being legally accountable for the offending smoke odor from your clothing if you've been smoking! There may come a day where a smoker will be eating in a restaurant, and if someone even gets a hint of a scent of tobacco from the clothing of that smoker, they may be asked to leave! Where Does it END?

#33 ·
Some very good points made.. this turned into an impressive debate.

The steps Concrete posted worked perfectly so problem fixed :)

And I think making it a law for people to wear deoderant wouldn't be a bad idea... some people really really smell and this creates negative externalities (just like 3rd hand smoke). If a cop could give people a ticket for smelling too bad, I don't think this would be a bad idea.

#34 ·
Some very good points made.. this turned into an impressive debate.

The steps Concrete posted worked perfectly so problem fixed :)

And I think making it a law for people to wear deoderant wouldn't be a bad idea... some people really really smell and this creates negative externalities (just like 3rd hand smoke). If a cop could give people a ticket for smelling too bad, I don't think this would be a bad idea.
hahahaaaa!!

Glad to hear you are chimeless now!

#37 ·
Here you go:

This Technical service bulleting should help you out. Print it out and take it to your dealer. However this is an out-of-pocket expense, as it says in the TSB. I'm not sure if there is a newer TSB that supersedes it.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_0800107.pdf

#38 ·
Like many other things, the motivation for mandatory seatbelt use is financial. The insurance companies have convinced the government that seat belts reduce fatalities and serious injuries, hence lower medical and rehabilitation therapy bills. This supposedly benefits anyone who pays insurance premiums.

Personally I believe in wearing it when I'm driving over 25 MPH. I'll often leave it off while going through my residential neighborhood, or driving from one end of a parking lot to another, etc. My gut feeling is that people should make their own educated decisions regarding seatbelt use. The real puzzler for me is why are there seatbelt laws, yet some states don't require motorcycle helmets?

#39 ·
Like many other things, the motivation for mandatory seatbelt use is financial. The insurance companies have convinced the government that seat belts reduce fatalities and serious injuries, hence lower medical and rehabilitation therapy bills. This supposedly benefits anyone who pays insurance premiums.

Personally I believe in wearing it when I'm driving over 25 MPH. I'll often leave it off while going through my residential neighborhood, or driving from one end of a parking lot to another, etc. My gut feeling is that people should make their own educated decisions regarding seatbelt use. The real puzzler for me is why are there seatbelt laws, yet some states don't require motorcycle helmets?

Car accidents are called "accidents" because you can't anticipate that one is going to happen till its too late to do anything.

What if you were driving at 5MPH but someone crashed into you at 70mph and sent you through the front windshield or the side window?

It happened to my friend Carlos. He woke up on the pavement in front of his car.

FORCE = MASS X ACCELERATION

For nothing more than that, I wear mine.

#41 ·
I drive with my seat belt on 99.9% of the time for the obvious reasons. Gonna turn that chime off cause its annoying to me. Glad I finally found out how. Debating and free speach is a way of life and cherished by all. That said I really can't believe it is being discussed whether seat belts save lives and injuries and whether we should be required to wear them - geez get real.

#42 ·
I never hear the seatbelt alert. I've put my belt on regularly since '71 or so. I can't move a car in the driveway without first buckling the belt. It's gotten to be such a habit, I often don't even think about or remember putting the belt on. It's also gotten me out of two expensive tickets.

#45 ·
"How do I fix this? "

Haven't change either sensor, so can't speak to the procedure or cost... but if it's only when there's a passenger... have them sit in the back ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.