How Dark to Tint? - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Appearance Forums > Appearance General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Appearance General Discussion Discussion about modifications that enhance the car's exterior appearance.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 4,380, Level: 1 Points: 4,380, Level: 1 Points: 4,380, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 41881
How Dark to Tint?

I want to tint my 300C windows and never having done this before, wondered what % to darken? Local shop has a special going, the whole car for $175 including tax. What does Ohio law say and does it supersede local laws or vice versa when it comes to legal limits on darkness? Thanks for any info!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 3,017, Level: 1 Points: 3,017, Level: 1 Points: 3,017, Level: 1
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 23718
Ohio Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Montreal300 For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Points: 16,764, Level: 1 Points: 16,764, Level: 1 Points: 16,764, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 35330
a 50% tint is pretty much pointless tho to be honest. i would talk to some local people that have tints and get an idea of what they've been able to get away with. go as dark as you can! I've got 20% tints in Toronto and have never been asked about them even when I have been pulled over...

a few more pics: http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj492/dannyyaya/

MODS: 22" chrome boss 313's on 265/35/22's, 20% tints, SLP LM2 catback, predator tune, niteshaded tails, colour-matched side markers, RGB headlight and fog light halos, flat black headlight and fog light housings, terminator projector glow, LED interior lighting, LED license plate lighting, BBK CAI, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, much more to come....
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyyaya For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 52,934, Level: 1 Points: 52,934, Level: 1 Points: 52,934, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Member Number: 11602
Thanked 1,756 Times in 1,585 Posts
I have 30% on the sides (just a bit more than the legal limit) and 20 on the back window. Never been hassled here for them.

Obviously the safe bet is to be within what the law allows. Problem with that is in some states, that would be no better than what ya got from the factory.
The Following User Says Thank You to MADDOG For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Points: 16,848, Level: 1 Points: 16,848, Level: 1 Points: 16,848, Level: 1
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Car: 05 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 40950
Imo... Find out what the law is. If you break it here in Iowa... The fine is the same regardless of how dark it is so I go as dark as I am willing to be hassled.. So to speak. The darker you go the more attention you will attract or the more attractive your car is the... Well You get the idea!
I have 5% all the way around. My last car I had for 12 years was 5% Lumar all the way around with 35% on the windshield and I loved it. In twelve years I got 2 tickets. I have been thinking of doing the 35% on the windshield but it does interfere with some of your remote key fob operations... Or on my last car it did anyway.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 2
The Following User Says Thank You to cwhite2005 For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Points: 594, Level: 1 Points: 594, Level: 1 Points: 594, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Car: 06 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 38067
i got 25% in the front and 10% in the back.
The Following User Says Thank You to 300c_5.7 For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
ADMINISTRATOR
Points: 240,627, Level: 1 Points: 240,627, Level: 1 Points: 240,627, Level: 1
Activity: 87% Activity: 87% Activity: 87%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 "Black Beauty II"
Member Number: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDavidBS View Post
I want to tint my 300C windows and never having done this before, wondered what % to darken? Local shop has a special going, the whole car for $175 including tax. What does Ohio law say and does it supersede local laws or vice versa when it comes to legal limits on darkness? Thanks for any info!
Why not opt for the "SW Edition"? window tint
The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rider For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Points: 20,849, Level: 1 Points: 20,849, Level: 1 Points: 20,849, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Member Number: 23518
I went with 20% all the way around and the laws here say 50% is the darkest for the front but I have yet to be pulled over. IMO I think a car looks best with matching tint but its your car just my 2

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to mattd_951 For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion, Yeti 8: Jungle Swing Champion

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 22401
I've got plenty of experience with tints in Ohio. Legal limit is 50% for the front driver and passenger window. No limit at all for any rear windows - you could paint them if you really wanted to. And the front window I'm pretty sure is 50%, but more importantly you cannot tint below "the line"... if you look at your windshield about 4 inches or so down from the top, you'll see a small arrow and a line... can't go past that.

What I've found is that it really depends on your local PD. When I lived in Cincy in high school I had an 'ol beater red mustang with 35% front and rear - don't ever recall getting pulled over or ticketed for it. More recently in Columbus, I had a dark grey Cherokee with 20% front, rear, and a pretty low strip on the windshield.... and also had a very light grey Intrepid that had a black roof and 20% front and rear - this one "looked" very very dark just because of how the car was setup. And the Intrepid is the only car I remember getting a window tint ticket in.

But that has a long story behind it - short version: I was drinking an IBC root beer and cop thought I was drinking a beer. He pulled me over and was an a-hole, so I went off on him. Since I obviously wasn't drinking and driving, I was rewarded with a window tint ticket. It certainly wasn't the reason why I was pulled over - but it was his only option to hit me with something.

Most recently on my 300, I have 16% front and back. Yes, 16%. Well, I paid for 20% but according to Columbus PD it is 16%. So yeah, I got pulled over in my 300 not even a week or so after getting my tints. No ticket. Actually a nice cop who had an old Cuda and apparently our shared love of Mopar saved the day.

But here's what he told me: CPD doesn't care about window tint tickets and will rarely write one, unless they are simply choosing to be a-holes. However, they will use the window tints as a reason to pull you over and make sure you're not a "bad guy". So it's basically an open invitation to be pulled over at anytime, but unlikely to get a ticket. I've seen that cop many times since and even get a wave out of him sometimes - never been pulled over by him since. Nor any other CPD (well, for the specific reason of window tints at least ).

He also told me that State Highway Patrol and Sheriff's love to write window tint tickets. Again, I haven't been pulled over by them either for window tints, but this cop's warning was more of a: "us city cops have bigger things to worry about, but the rural cops love to nit pick". Knowing you're in amish country, it is really going to depend on how the enforcement is there. You know what I would do? Just ask a local cop. And keep your eye out for tinted windows at gas stations and parking lots you are at, and ask them if they get harassed by the local PD.

As far as state law vs local law, I've never heard of a local law being enforced over the statewide 50% law. Pretty sure that is the standard for all of us in OH.

And as far as the tint, you'll probably have an option the jumps from 50% to 35% to 20% to darker. As said earlier 50% is worthless, unless you are committed to staying legal. But 35% will look good and not draw too much attention. 20% is when you start getting pretty dark and it's clearly noticeable. But remember it also "looks" different depending not only on your car color, but sometimes even more specifically due to the interior car color.

One last thing I must say - forget any "deal" you see on window tints. Make sure you go to a reputable shop that uses good products. There is nothing worse than a bad tint job or crappy film. You'll always regret saving a few bucks on a deal. Ask me how I know. I can recommend an excellent tint place here in Columbus if you are interested - supposedly #1 tinter in Ohio (even though it's a tiny shop). They charge a bit more but worth every penny.

And that's what I gotta say about that!

Hope this helps!

Grillcraft SW grill / VIP300C eyelids / HID lows & fogs / LED halos / IPCW tails
SRT8 front lip & rear wing / 15% ceramic tint / JL Audio sound / BT everything
DS
Trinity / 180 tstat / AFE CAI / MF hi-flow cats, mids, catback / DMH cutouts
MOOG suspension / R1 Concepts brakes / 20" Konig Blix 1 / Kuhmo 275/45/20

See more mods >>>> FISCH'S GARAGE
The Following User Says Thank You to Fisch For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (12-29-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Points: 3,040, Level: 1 Points: 3,040, Level: 1 Points: 3,040, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2002 Chevrolet Z06
Member Number: 37161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch View Post
I've got plenty of experience with tints in Ohio. Legal limit is 50% for the front driver and passenger window. No limit at all for any rear windows - you could paint them if you really wanted to. And the front window I'm pretty sure is 50%, but more importantly you cannot tint below "the line"... if you look at your windshield about 4 inches or so down from the top, you'll see a small arrow and a line... can't go past that.

What I've found is that it really depends on your local PD. When I lived in Cincy in high school I had an 'ol beater red mustang with 35% front and rear - don't ever recall getting pulled over or ticketed for it. More recently in Columbus, I had a dark grey Cherokee with 20% front, rear, and a pretty low strip on the windshield.... and also had a very light grey Intrepid that had a black roof and 20% front and rear - this one "looked" very very dark just because of how the car was setup. And the Intrepid is the only car I remember getting a window tint ticket in.

But that has a long story behind it - short version: I was drinking an IBC root beer and cop thought I was drinking a beer. He pulled me over and was an a-hole, so I went off on him. Since I obviously wasn't drinking and driving, I was rewarded with a window tint ticket. It certainly wasn't the reason why I was pulled over - but it was his only option to hit me with something.

Most recently on my 300, I have 16% front and back. Yes, 16%. Well, I paid for 20% but according to Columbus PD it is 16%. So yeah, I got pulled over in my 300 not even a week or so after getting my tints. No ticket. Actually a nice cop who had an old Cuda and apparently our shared love of Mopar saved the day.

But here's what he told me: CPD doesn't care about window tint tickets and will rarely write one, unless they are simply choosing to be a-holes. However, they will use the window tints as a reason to pull you over and make sure you're not a "bad guy". So it's basically an open invitation to be pulled over at anytime, but unlikely to get a ticket. I've seen that cop many times since and even get a wave out of him sometimes - never been pulled over by him since. Nor any other CPD (well, for the specific reason of window tints at least ).

He also told me that State Highway Patrol and Sheriff's love to write window tint tickets. Again, I haven't been pulled over by them either for window tints, but this cop's warning was more of a: "us city cops have bigger things to worry about, but the rural cops love to nit pick". Knowing you're in amish country, it is really going to depend on how the enforcement is there. You know what I would do? Just ask a local cop. And keep your eye out for tinted windows at gas stations and parking lots you are at, and ask them if they get harassed by the local PD.

As far as state law vs local law, I've never heard of a local law being enforced over the statewide 50% law. Pretty sure that is the standard for all of us in OH.

And as far as the tint, you'll probably have an option the jumps from 50% to 35% to 20% to darker. As said earlier 50% is worthless, unless you are committed to staying legal. But 35% will look good and not draw too much attention. 20% is when you start getting pretty dark and it's clearly noticeable. But remember it also "looks" different depending not only on your car color, but sometimes even more specifically due to the interior car color.

One last thing I must say - forget any "deal" you see on window tints. Make sure you go to a reputable shop that uses good products. There is nothing worse than a bad tint job or crappy film. You'll always regret saving a few bucks on a deal. Ask me how I know. I can recommend an excellent tint place here in Columbus if you are interested - supposedly #1 tinter in Ohio (even though it's a tiny shop). They charge a bit more but worth every penny.

And that's what I gotta say about that!

Hope this helps!
Very good post and I agree My cousin has been tinting windows for over 20 years, so I've done pretty much all the shades and then some. The interior of your car really does make a huge difference. On my 300 with tinted windows I can see into it fairly easily with a grey interior. My CTSV has a black interior and you can't see anything.

It comes down to if you really care what the law states. In CA you can't have anything on the front windows (driver/passenger) and I've done it for years. Yes I've got my share of tickets for totally blacked out, but if you stay reasonable, where LEO's can somewhat see inside most are ok with it.

Oh and as mentioned above, you get what you pay for. Most guys around here tint a car for $99-149. On the flip side, my cousin does cars for $299 but is a perfectionist. I've never had an issue in all the years he's tinted my vehicles, I say pay a bit more and get a quality job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quik Z06 For This Useful Post:
OhioDavidBS (01-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement