I checked the Service Manual and it looks like a major pain in the arss.
Here is the removal instructions.
1. Remove the trim panel from the inside of the front door. (Refer to 23 - BODY/DOOR - FRONT/TRIM PANEL - REMOVAL).
2. Remove the speaker from the inside of the front door. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/AUDIO/SPEAKER - REMOVAL).
3. Remove the watershield from the inside of the front door. (Refer to 23 - BODY/DOOR - FRONT/WATERSHIELD - REMOVAL).
4. Remove the screw that secures the bottom of the pull cup bracket and the bottom of the window regulator rear rail to the inside of the front door.
5. Loosen the screw that secures the top of the pull cup bracket to the inside of the front door.
6. Disengage the upper pull cup bracket screw from the keyed hole and remove the bracket from the inside of the front door.
7. Reach up into the back of the door shell to unsnap the plastic clip that secures the end of the latch release link to the exterior door handle and disengage the latch release link from the handle.
8. For the driver side handle only, reach up into the back of the door shell to unsnap the plastic clip that secures the end of the lock actuator link to the lock cylinder and disengage the link from the lock cylinder.
9. Remove the three screws from the inside of the door that secure that exterior handle to the door.
10. Remove the handle from the outside of the door.
I'd appreciate an update on your door handle replacement project. I just experienced the same problem with my door handle breaking. It looks like something a lot of people are going to experience as the insufficient plastic door handle innerds dry out, crack and break.
i used to have painted handles,but i bought some chrome ones online,it was a set of 4,they cost about 75 to 100 bucks aftermarket,the 1st one took me about 1 hour,but after that it went real smooth,the hardest part is getting the door panel to snap back on properly,if it doesnt snap back in place the top part of the panel will be real loose and look bad,but dont be discouraged,take your time
Replacing the door handle isn't difficult really. However you do need to take care when removing and replacing the door panel. That is the hardest part of the install. When my handle broke, I purchased the rear door handle to delete the lock on the front. Just an idea. Same exact fit too.
Mods: Airhammer CAI, JBA free-flow cats, Zoomers cat back exhaust, Diablo Trinity tuned by Johan, 150 shot ZEX nitrous, 22" Dub Esinem wheels, 8000K HID headlights and fog lights, LED tail lights, UAS air bags with wireless remote and nitrogen, Pioneer AVIC Z-2
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.