Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

High gloss piano black pillars

9K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Fisch 
#1 ·
Thanks to Big ****** for the recommendation and being the guinnea pig on these. :fing02:

Ebay specials here from ebay seller "pillarcovers". Under $40, which is why I gave them a shot. I have been planning to remove my pillars and have them professionally painted BB, but these covers are a much cheaper solution. And after seeing Big ******'s, I figured I'd give them a shot.

As far as appearance, the gloss and reflection is like glass. Looks great on BB with tints - no more of those greyish pillar stripes which break up the lines of the car. They are also made well - durable "polycarbonate" with good 3M-like thin adhesive on the back.

My only complaint, and please understand that I am picky, is that they are not a perfect fit. Damn close. But not perfect. I wish they were just a bit taller. But I've noticed that the sealant line at the top of the pillars and the rubber stripping at the bottom of the pillars tend to differ from car to car - so maybe they might be perfectly sized for someone else. I ended up butting them up to the top side since that is more at eye level, and there is a tiny little small gap at the bottom now. I think I can live with it. Other than that, they stick out a bit, but not bad. The adhesive goes right to the edge so that helps with the transition from pillar to cover.

Overall, the minor fitment issues are well worth the gloss look - they simply disappear into my windows now. So for under $40 delivered, I'd recommend them.

And of course, before/during/after pics...

See less See more
Reactions: touringlecrd
#11 ·
Love it

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Thanks.
Really nice! I like those. I wonder if they have some for a 300M. My 300SRT's are still fine, but those look really nice on yoru ride.
Thank you. And actually, I think I remember seeing a listing for the older M's - check the seller name I listed above on ebay.
Damnnnn now i'm going to have to do this too.
Haha. Yeah, your car is perfect for these.
Like button
Thanks. --- do we actually have a like button here? :)
oh poo....more import taxes for me! :(
Hahaa. You are more than welcome to order through me if you'd like.
Nice!!!...i vinyl wrap mine and came out pretty nice too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-GALAXY-NOTE using AutoGuide.Com
^ x2

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I originally was going to vinyl wrap, but after I knew that I had some other things going to be painted, and when I saw the tedious process of removing the pillars and not wanting to do that twice, I just decided paint was the answer. Then I saw these - and for $40 they were worth a shot. But, I bet the vinyl looks better on the edges.
Looks great man!

Now I have a question, are they anything like the chrome pillar covers that get tons of finger/hand prints when you open the doors from there?
Thanks Oscar. And yes, I just noticed how much they like to attract finger prints. Sigh
Lol HYNO thats why I wrapped mine matte black people just loved to leave greasy fingerprints on the chrome side pillars. That piano finish looks nive def an option after the wraps.

Yeah, I think that's the give and take. Glossy piano looks great against tinted windows, but you get the fingerprints. Matte black wrap defends against finger prints, but not as reflective as the windows. Either way is better than stock IMO.

#10 ·
Lol HYNO thats why I wrapped mine matte black people just loved to leave greasy fingerprints on the chrome side pillars. That piano finish looks nive def an option after the wraps.

#13 ·
...see what I started lol. Looks great, I don't find it leaves too many finger prints. Looks a hell of a lot better than it did.

Sent from my Nexus S using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Haha! Thanks again man

#15 ·
I hear ya. Maybe a matte vinyl is the option for you. I think painting or going with these pillars will provide figerprint issues.

#17 ·
No buffing will get you a mirror finish on these that I'm aware of. They've always had a matte finish - from the factory that way, I think.

#20 ·
How and what would I use to paint them and get them nice and glossy like that. Is their a way? I like to DIY what I can on my car.

If you want to do it right, you should remove the pillars IMO. Although some people have painted them while still on the car. But there is nothing really special to it - treat it like any other paint job... make sure to use good products, take your time, and do it properly. Read some of Yamabob's threads - he's a paint guru. But a good wet sand and clear coating should get it nice and glossy. Good luck. :fing02:

#22 ·
If you are going to color match to your car, I get my paint from AutomotiveTouchup - just give them your color code and it is spot on. A good clear coat on top should make it shine.

Assuming you sand / adhesion promoter/primer / sand / base coat X2 / sand / clear / sand / clear / etc. I'm certainly no paint expert, but I'm getting better. I've found that prep and patience is the key.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Looks the same as mine to my eyes... which are thick. I don't care for the thickness either, but I still haven't pulled them off. lol

#27 ·
^^miss seeing you around. Been aright?^^

Reactions: Fisch
#28 ·
All good brother :fing02:

Reactions: Quiknen
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.