Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2016 300SRT8 number plate placement?

4K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  SRTBEAST 
#1 ·
G'day all, ::smile::

Because I'm considering maybe getting the new 2016 300SRT8 when they're released in a few months, I've been Googling away trying to find a few nice pics.

It's an interesting new design. I like it. ::smile::

But I'm wondering where the front number plate is supposed to go... :serious:

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I 100% agree Piggy. Offset fitment is poo.

The only pics I've seen are from The States, (Chrysler test mules) where they're not getting the car anyway, or Saudi Arabia where they may not legally have to display a front plate, I'm not sure.

I just hope to Christ Chrysler don't decide to just fit the current SRT8 front bar to the new model to get around the issue.
The current one looks great, but I really like the new one. It looks very well integrated into the design, even having some very subtle E63 hints around the fog light/DRL area.

Fingers crossed.

#9 ·
I just hope to Christ Chrysler don't decide to just fit the current SRT8 front bar to the new model to get around the issue.
No way will they do that, would cost them a bomb, they'd have to move the adaptive eyeball and lord only knows what else, no chance.

They'll take the cheap way just like Nissan did with the wifes Murano and stick a $2 (unless you're buying one off them retail) rubber monstrosity on the front of the car and just shrug off any other consideration. lol.

#10 ·
Time will tell I guess.

FCA might just completely shrug off the issue and leave it up to individual dealers to mount the plate in an appropriate place as they see fit.

At this point, I'm just really curious to see what they do.

This might seem silly (or extreme), but I think it's going to play a big part in whether I buy one or not. :serious:

Cheers.

#11 ·
We all have our reasons for purchasing, if the number plate mount is the thing that turns you off, so be it, entirely your decision.

At least, that's along the same lines as what I told my sister many years ago when she asked me to check out a car she liked and then chose to ignore what I advised. So she bought it.... the Leyland Marina with the rear view mirrors that won her over. lol.

#14 · (Edited)
HELLCAT... HELL YEAH!!! >:D

As much as I'd like to think we'll see a 300 SRT8 Hellcat at some stage, I just don't think it'll happen. ::frown::
And with the "SRT" brand being positioned under Dodge and moved away from Chrysler and Jeep, I think we're even less likely to see one here.
We might get lucky with the Dodge Charger (US Challenger) down here as a Hellcat, but that'll probably be about it.

For now, my biggest problem is all about potential number plate locations. :serious:

I suppose I could always just buy a Leyland Marina!! ::biggrin::
They still make those, don't they?

#20 ·
Well.... my mate who was a Chrysler mechanic apprentice at the time (I was a fitter & machinist apprentice) drove something like this..... the beloved Vee Gee (Standard Vanguard) We used to swap vehicles, he'd ride my bike without a bike licence and I'd drive his VG without a car licence. Once we were taking off from the shops and just as I dropped the clutch to back up a bit to get out of a parking spot a guy opened the passenger side door and the door got bent around a light pole and wrapped forward into the front guard. Cost me 5 quid for a new door. Also cost my mate for a new clutch lever for my bike which he dropped.

Later when I moved up to the Cooper S I think I was a little more up market than him. lol.

He still drives a VC Valiant.

Edit: and to get back on topic even back then some cars were awkward to put a front plate on.

#21 ·
5 quid for a new door, you can't do that these days. ::smile::

And (also to get back on topic...), speaking of things you can't do these days...
Chrysler, you can't release an update of an existing model into a market and not consider how that model complies - or not- with the local design regulations. :serious:

Ok, so we can ignore the US/Canada/European markets here because they're not getting the SRT version of the 2016 300 anyway.

It's only Australia and the Middle East (to my knowledge) who are getting the new, full 300SRT8 that carries on from the previous model, so we should at least be happy about that. ::biggrin::

And with this new 2016 300SRT8 comes a new front bar that includes a larger, deeper main grill opening and the relocation of the radar from the right side of the lower grill to the centre of that same grill.
It looks great, it really does. But looking at some close up pics of the area, it looks as though there's only about 45 - 50mm (2 inches) for even a slim-line plate (100mm) to fit.

I'm pretty sure the Middle East markets don't have laws requiring the displaying of a front plate - so possibly there's no problem there for them.

I'm hoping Chrysler haven't just thought, "Well, It's only Australia. It's a tiny market. Stuff 'em, they can just deal with it". ::frown::

I might send an email to Ralph Giles from SRT. I doubt weather I'd hear back from him, but you never know.
In the Youtube videos I've seen him in, he seems like a genuinely passionate and honourable car guy.

Fingers crossed. ::wink::

#23 ·
G'day mate,

Thanks for the heads up about the delivery times. ::wink::

I'm not necessarily looking to buy a 2016MY car, I'm just referring to maybe getting one of the new ones with the new front/rear bar, rear lights, wheels, shift dial, and binnacle gauges.
Even if it's a 2015MY build car, that's fine, as long as it's the new model.

Also, who knows when they'll finally roll off the boat down here in OZ?
It may be ages before they're available yet. ::frown::

And at the end of the day, I'm really not in any rush -
I love the one I've got. ::biggrin::

I might even end up in a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 by then. ::smile::

Thanks mate.

::wink::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.