Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Used SRT8 vs New SRT8 Core

19K views 134 replies 11 participants last post by  Piggy. 
#1 ·
I'm almost there! Just a month or two away and I'll have the funds to finally buy my first SRT8!

Now comes the dilemma of choosing between something with the new 8 speed or going with something used (13 or 14 build). Does the new 8 speed in the SRT8 Core outweigh the additional features in the older 5 speed SRT8 or vice versa?

My budget will be $60k MAX. Which can either be spent on a new SRT8 Core (with some haggling), or on a used SRT8 with change left over for mods. Please help me decide ::smile::

#2 ·
I can't comment on the SRT8 specifically, but given a choice between new and used, I would go for new every time. With new, you don't have the worry of how it might have been treated by previous owner(s) and you do have the peace of mind of full manufacturer's warranty. I've also found that a new car with a discount can often beat the price of a nearly new used car. On the few occasions I have bought used, I seem to have inherited previous owners' problems.

#4 · (Edited)
I would definitely buy the new 2015 model SRT. I have owned mine for a month now, & can say that the new 8 speed gear box is a dream. Much smoother and faster gear changes. The headlights on the 2015 model SRT do not fog up and the VR (voice recognition) in sat nav mode works now, which it did not in my 2012 model SRT 8, which I owned prior to this one. The build quality of the new model is also much better, I reckon.

The interior is new. New speedometer and rev counter. There is now a 7 inch screen between the dials. There are also additional screens on the u connect system. New front bumper and headlights as well as new rear headlights. I purchased the non core SRT due to the suspension and other extras. I would still buy the 2015 core model over 2013 full blown SRT 8.

I have added photos of my car below.

Cheers

Attachments

#5 ·
That old thing Dave? It's very much second hand now, I know what sort of garbage you've been carrying around. You'll need at least new seats so the value has taken a significant hit. I'm prepared to do you a favour and offer up $38k to take it off your hands. I can hear you breathing a sigh of relief from here... oh wait that's the bulldog snoring.

#6 · (Edited)
I Steve I reckon I will have to accept your offer (not). I know Steve the car is ancient at a month old. I will have to stick some ferrari seats in it to make the value go up as well as chucking a few skelo's (skeletons) in the back as well. ::biggrin::.

Cheers Dave

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Surprising answers here. I thought you would have all recommended the full blown SRT8 for sure. I was looking at ones with about 12 months of warranty left (or 9-10 months at least). I'm 100% sure I could get a 2013/2014 for about $45k.

I don't suppose anyone has a PDF brochure of the new SRT8's? Requests for one on the Chrysler site just end up with a dealer calling trying to sell you a car. I've tried about 3 times now with 3 different dealers. Why is it so hard to just get the damn brochure?! I couldn't even get a brochure of the pre-facelifted one. All I want to confirm is whether the redline pearl colour is not available on the core model (not that it matters as I want maximum steel anyway).

#12 ·
I say I would buy the 2015 Core SRT over 2013 model SRT 8 due to the 2015 model having an 8 speed gear box and other updates. If you asked me whether I would buy a 2015 Core over the 2015 full SRT I would buy the full SRT in the 2015 model.

I stiil reckon that a 2015 model Core is better then a 2013 full SRT. just my opinion.

Cheers Dave

#16 ·
Thanks guys. I actually got some quotes on the Core via Autogenie that were smack bang on the $60k mark, though I was given a christmas time delivery date for all of them. One of the quotes came with a really dodgy caveat as well. I'm not sure if any of the quotes came from my local CJD dealer but I'd really like to walk into relevant dealer and question said caveat.

#17 ·
Still no deposit down on something yet ::frown::.

The Autogenie thing didn't work out, turned out the quote I accepted was one of the Suttons dealerships in Sydney, and (they claimed) they couldn't get the colour I wanted without optional extras that would have added thousands to the agreed upon price. Whatever allocation they have that is coming on the boat next month they said. The alternative was granite but I don't really like that colour (no offense vorhee :p). Why they would send me a quote when they couldn't actually provide me with the colour and options (or lack thereof) I specified on Autogenie is beyond me. They weren't open to haggling on the extras either.

It was worth a try I suppose. Now I know never to noobishly try that route again and waste $50. This is only my second ever new car purchase.

#21 ·
Well I got a brochure from the guy at Suttons, so there. I can confirm that the core isn't available in any shade of red at all, even the deep cherry is gone now (still there for the V6 variants though).

Round two with rasslin' for my car. This time I was given a choice of white arriving in a matter of weeks, or waiting till January for my preferred maximum steel. I chose the latter. It's going to be a long wait ::crying::

#27 ·
Hasn't got a proper gear stick, no black chrome, silly lights on the wheel arches, can't update the maps for free, not proper Mineral Grey...... how could it be worth more than my very generous offer. I suggest you grab it quick before I rescind it. :D

#31 ·
Delivery has been moved forward to christmas time. I'll have a lovely time explaining to family what THAT Whopping Great Big Thing in the garage is ::biggrin::

can't update the maps for free
Is this true? Should I have no regrets that my Core isn't coming with sat nav? All of the quotes I received from dealers gave me a good discount on the base vehicle but said no to any sort of deal on options, so they wanted $1000 for the sat nav on top of the agreed price. I'd rather buy a $200 TomTom tbh.

I know it's looking woefully poverty pack but leave me alone! It's my first hemi! It's got 3x more KW than my current car!

#32 ·
End of February and it's still not here ::crying::. It's stuck at Prixcar in Minto.

They've literally got nothing to do other than compliance it, yet there are Jeeps and all sorts of other cars (that came off the same ship) optioned up to the hilt getting transported to dealers before it. They also left it for a full week at the wharf after Customs cleared it. Maybe my dealer is behind in their bills owed to them or something lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.