Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Brake Calipers - Paint

11K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  chooka77 
#1 ·
G Day All,

I was looking to paint my calipers red and was wondring what would be the right paint for the job knowing how hot these could get under braking conditions.

2013 300 SRT8 Bright White

Anyone changed colours on their bright white SRT and can provide some images as well so I can see how thye might look.

Gavin

Reactions: geoff c
#3 ·
Hi Gavin I have always used engine enamel as it hold the heat without any issues of there paint being burnt. So save your self heaps and just buy a couple of cans of that and masking tape, don't worry if you get any paint on the rotors as as it will come off as soon as you drive and apply the brakes. Mind you I have always wiped mine clean with turps as much as I could. I also would do the wheel hubs at the same time to finish the job off nicely .::wink::
Cheers
Geoff

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback Geoff. Last time I did calipars I took them off (Holden Vehicle) so to hear you can do them on the vehicle was a surprise.

I would like to take them off as I'd like to have the Brambo text on as well.::smile::

#5 ·
Yes! Red calipers are known to be the easiest performance mod of any vehicle :jester:

+1 on the engine paint. I did my vette calipers (also in red) and prep was minimal. I used black on the raised lettering and raised ridges cast in to the calipers, for a bit of contrast. they looked good and other than brake dust, looked "new" when I sold the car. For all four corners, I think I bought a small can (pint?) and there was plenty.

#8 ·
Ok got them done, did rears one week end and then the front the next, just need to clean her now so a side shot can be taken in the daylight.

Attachments

#11 ·
Cheers Steve, I'm real happy with them, thinking of getting some clear next to spray over the stickers for some protection.

Thanks, I just used the caliper red in the spray can from an autoshop.

#15 ·
No I pulled them off and did them. Bit of a pain and increased time (removing the wheels, clamping the brake lines etc) but to be honest I think this really is the only way to go as this will ensure full coverage of them IMO.

#18 ·
::laugh::::laugh::::laugh::::laugh::::laugh::::laugh::

Since doing the paint job I’ve now got a can of clear which I’ll spray more so over the sticker to ensure it remains looking the same and protects it much better.

Going to do my daughters soon, she wants yellow still so keep an eye out :)

#21 ·
Red, Yellow and Silver seem to be the most common colours which pretty much go with anything. Just personal choice, but then it's all personal choice not matter which colour you choose. Some seem to go with the same or similar to the car colour or a slight contrast but in the same colour. With your dark blue I'm not sure about dark blue calipers, perhaps a light blue. I would find purple an interesting pick on a dark blue car. Do you want to stand out like dogs nuts or a little more subtle? For me subtle and classy wins over in-your-face tacky/gaudy any day.

#23 ·
Hi 5280SRT8,

Sorry buddy I can even recall the brand, it was just the high temp caliper paint. I did my daughters over the week end and in yellow (as she wanted) but the paint didn't seem to do that well this time, same brand and all but took much more time to dry, took the whole day just to do the rears :(

The weather wasn't as nice as it was when I did mine so maybe that was a the issue or at least I know it would had contributed to it.

#25 ·
Just for you.

First coat on, only did the rears, will try and get the front done this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.