Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Bonnet and tailgate gas struts

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Fisch 
#1 ·
Guys, anyone know where I can buy some new gas struts for my bonnet and tailgate - I have a 2007 SRT8 Wagon.....
I can buy them out of the state on Ebay but is there anything available locally other than paying $160 a set from Chrysler or almost the same to get them re-gassed?????

#2 ·
I bought a set off ebay which turned out to be wrong. They were way over gassed. I think they may have been from later cars that only have one strut. They were also cheap crap that the locking straps didn't stay in place, anyway I tossed them. Then I rang a guy who came around and took my originals and rebuilt them.

Strut Re-gas Western Suburbs and Blue Mountains

Craig Gates
106 Cox Ave.,
Penrith NSW 2750

Ph: 0419 432 054
Fax: 02 4721 4816

Mobile service - we come to you

Gas Struts - commonly known as gas springs, gas stays, gas lifts - Australia

#3 · (Edited)
I have also brought them from the US, Monroe brand, cheap as from rock auto (US$14 each for the bonnet struts). As Piggy found, they are a bit too strong (the later models only have one strut) so the easiest solution is to only put one new one on and leave the other old one, then it will work fine. With two new ones the bonnet just about takes your head off when you open it. The retainer on the bottom end of Monroe ones is inferior to the factory items so you just screw it off and reuse the original from the factory strut.

If you follow these couple of tips you should be fine with the Monroe version and save yourself a heap of money over local solutions.

Monroe numbers are 901507 for the bonnet and 901508 for the boot, you will need to look up the strut for the wagon hatch, it will be the same as the magnum wagon as they didn't get the 300C version in the US. You could try these numbers locally, you might get lucky if they also fit something else.

#5 ·
Don't know if you can get Strongarm's over there, but I highly recommend them. I recently added them up front and don't have to worry about decapitation anymore. :) I'll be adding them to the rear asap.

#7 ·
Linky for both? Not that I want anyone to see under my hood right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.