Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Grinding noise like slipping

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MADDOG 
#1 ·
So my front drivers side makes a weird noise when i slow down almost as if the brakes pads are grabbing and slipping on the rotor. it only makes the noise when i get down to about 5 mph and goes until im at 0 mph. this is only under normal and slow braking though. if i brake hard no noise at all then. the pads look as if i should have another good 10k miles on them and the rotor doesnt seem to have any problems either. my brake fluid is full also. any ideas on whats going on? should i just say the heck with these brake pads and get some new ones?

#2 · (Edited)
I'm having a similar problem. I messaged Dave Z about this and he advised me to try the bedding processed which is referenced in this thread. I will probably pick up the Posi Quiets or Napa Adaptive Ones. My back brakes seems fine its the front drivers side thats doing the slidding and grinding and the brake dust up front is horrible.

#3 · (Edited)
My brakes have always made that grinding noise, just as you described. Has made the noise since the car was brand new. But it has gotten worse in the past 3-4 months. I have never bedded/burnished my brakes. I have taken a couple of dealer techs for a ride and they both said it was normal and not fixable as a warranty claim. When I get new pads installed I am going to make sure the shop I buy them from know I will not except noisy/grinding brakes.

#4 ·
pad issues

the symptoms described can occur if the pads are glazed. One really hard stop can do this to OE type pads. Then they grind at normal braking, but still work fine.

Guys, read up on NAPA's adaptive pads. They are great for street cars. Absolutely the cutting edge and last a really long time, too. Tad expensive, but awesome!

#5 ·
ill check out those napa pads then. it didnt stsrt doing this until a month or so ago. oh and another weird thing. dont know if this matters but when they are wet they dont make any noise at all either. i thought possible glazing too but i checked everything out and it all seems to be in good condition. im thinking maybe have the rotors redone and new pads. anybody have any good reference about EBC pads? i had them on my motorcycle along with rotors and loved them so im wondering if they are good on these cars as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.