Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Navigation Version Help

98K views 160 replies 70 participants last post by  09/12 300c CRD 
#1 ·
I am trying to determine if I have the "AB" or "AC" version of the Nav DVD. When I select the vehicle information menu from the bottom of the NAV screen and then software information, I see the following:

Application version: 01.20.20
Database version: 05.0203.00.091603.0013

Can anyone who knows they have "AB" or "AC" check these numbers and tell me which one I have? Thanks....

#2 ·
kampsvilleboy said:
I am trying to determine if I have the "AB" or "AC" version of the Nav DVD. When I select the vehicle information menu from the bottom of the NAV screen and then software information, I see the following:

Application version: 01.20.20
Database version: 05.0203.00.091603.0013

Can anyone who knows they have "AB" or "AC" check these numbers and tell me which one I have? Thanks....
Are asking about the radio or the nav mapping dvd? If it's the map dvd, pop it out. The part number will be on the disc.

#3 ·
Affirmative... the easiest way to confirm is to pop out the disk and look at the 1st set of numbers/letters on the right as seen here... version AB:

BTW, I just sent for my free repacement (1x only offer W/I 1st year) and received it in less than 1 week! :)

#4 ·
Hey Hemee, excellent illustration. I am kind of afraid to try to remove the DVD. Last time I tried to take that plastic cover off so I could access the DVD I broke it (I think I pushed the little tab that looks like a button in too far and it broke off.)

Can you (or anyone) give me a good explanation of how to correctly remove the cover for the DVD slot. Thanks.

#8 ·
Chewbacca said:
Hey Hemeee, can anyone who bought a 300 with NAV get a replacement disc within a year of purchase? Also, by replacement, do you mean you got an upgraded disc? Last but not least, what is the difference between the two discs AB and AC?

Thanks for any answers!
Hey Chewy, here's a point-by-point:
  • I believe anyone can one upgrade free if there is an upgrade w/i that year. There should be a small form inside the nav disk case (COPIES OF THIS FORM WILL NOT BE HONORED BY ALPINE)
  • I had version AB and received AC a few days ago, loaded it Sunday
  • I have not used it enough to note any differences between the versions, but it is supposed to update for new roads, addresses, routes, etc. that were previously not included
Hope that helps ya!

UPDATE:
THIS FREE UPGRADE WAS ONLY AVAILABLE TO EARLY 2005 PURCHASERS AND IS NO LONGER VALID - SORRY!
:wave:

#60 ·
Hey Chewy, here's a point-by-point:
  • I believe anyone can one upgrade free if there is an upgrade w/i that year. There should be a small form inside the nav disk case... I copied it to another member some time ago and may still have the image if you don't have it, PM me
  • I had version AB and received AC a few days ago, loaded it Sunday
  • I have not used it enough to note any differences between the versions, but it is supposed to update for new roads, addresses, routes, etc. that were previously not included
Hope that helps ya! :wave:
hey wanted to know if you can send me the image or tell me where i can get it. thnx alot

#13 ·
HEMEEE said:
Is your car older than one year? Even if it is, you should try Alpine and see if they'll put it through... PM me if you need the form, I found the jpeg I had scanned.
Thanks, but Alpine says no go! Car will be 1 yr old in August. It did not come with coupon and I called Chrysler in August of 04 to ask and they said that is correct they weren't including the free upgrade anymore. I sent Alpine a scanned copy earlier this month (10 mo. into ownership) and they called back and said they need the original, copies are not acceptable. I explained to them that I had AB and a car made 8/04 and couldn't find the coupon, they basically said "Too bad." I asked if I could send them a FAX of the DVD showing the AB version, they said "NO - we need the original coupon."

#14 ·
kampsvilleboy said:
Thanks, but Alpine says no go! Car will be 1 yr old in August. It did not come with coupon and I called Chrysler in August of 04 to ask and they said that is correct they weren't including the free upgrade anymore. I sent Alpine a scanned copy earlier this month (10 mo. into ownership) and they called back and said they need the original, copies are not acceptable. I explained to them that I had AB and a car made 8/04 and couldn't find the coupon, they basically said "Too bad." I asked if I could send them a FAX of the DVD showing the AB version, they said "NO - we need the original coupon."
Well hey, it was worth a try my friend! :eek:uch:

#15 ·
Went to dealer this morning to check on availabilty of Nav DVD. Currently the AC version is the latest. It's been available since July 15, 2004. They assume (as I do) that the AD version will be out around the same time. List price is $219, but they said they sell for $199. We can probably get a better deal from online dealer sponsors here, but I thought I'd try and get the details face-to-face from the local parts guys.

#17 ·
Later in the day I called Alpine Customer Service number listed in the Navigation Owners Manual. They said there is no pattern to the release of the DVDs and that the next version will probably not be out until Jan 2006 or shortly after. Also, for those that have the AB version disc and are curious about the AC version disc. The disc upgrade is $150 from Alpine ($219 from Dealer Parts, BAH!), but the only difference is that you can input an address while moving up to 10 MPH. There are no other differences and no map or POI additions. Version AD will have more up to date maps and POIs whenever it releases (sometime early 2006).

Bummer.....but at least we know now.

#19 ·
BrilliantBlackHemi said:
Later in the day I called Alpine Customer Service number listed in the Navigation Owners Manual. They said there is no pattern to the release of the DVDs and that the next version will probably not be out until Jan 2006 or shortly after. Also, for those that have the AB version disc and are curious about the AC version disc. The disc upgrade is $150 from Alpine ($219 from Dealer Parts, BAH!), but the only difference is that you can input an address while moving up to 10 MPH. There are no other differences and no map or POI additions. Version AD will have more up to date maps and POIs whenever it releases (sometime early 2006).

I have the AB version DVD and I can input an address while up to 10mph.
I dont know if I want to upgrade to the AC version because i dont think its worth it at this time in the year.
I may just wait for the AD one.
Any pointers.....

#20 ·
NautcaSprt6 said:
I have the AB version DVD and I can input an address while up to 10mph.
I dont know if I want to upgrade to the AC version because i dont think its worth it at this time in the year.
I may just wait for the AD one.
Any pointers.....
NS, I emailed you the copy of the free upgrade form that was already rejected by Alpine once. It's worth a try, but then I have not noticed any difference between the 2 versions. I would definitely say don't pay for an upgrade. As rarely as roads change, I'd say I probably won't pay for an upgrade for several years.

krisbenson said:
Since these are just standard DVD's, we should just copy them. Don't tell DCX or Alpine that I said that
kris, it's been discussed in another thread... it's a dual layer DVD.

#22 ·
KELLY30052 said:
I Just Bought A 2006 300c Without In Dash Navigation. Do I Buy The Chrysler Unit Or Aftermarket. If Aftermarket Which Unit, Price No Issue. In Dash Only.
Kelly30052

I just bought the Touring Signature with the nav - I have also used navs on other cars and if you are putting in an aftermarket I would suggest not getting the chrysler version of nav. I find that areas around the Atlanta which have been around for 5 years are in an area which the Chrysler nav is unable to find. That being said spending money on another one would probably be cheaper and you would get a product which you might be more happy with. You would also be able to get it set up through a shop or naviplus.tv and have it also play DVD's and sattelite TV if you are into that sort of thing.

Keep us posted as to what you choose to do.

#23 ·
Just got my 300 C 2 days ago, with the Navigation and the Garmin Quest GPS I use on my Honda VTX 1800 S is much better than the OEM unit. I have the 2-year-old version of the updates on the Quest (Garmin has had one update since I bought it) and the roads are more up to date than the AC version and the options are so much better on the Quest than the Chrysler GPS.

IMHO,
Gary

#24 ·
BrilliantBlackHemi said:

Thanks for the info - do you have a link to check on the newer version release?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.