Beats by Dre system - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Chrysler 300 & All LX Models Forums > Car Audio/Alarms/UConnect/Navigation
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Car Audio/Alarms/UConnect/Navigation This section is for topics related to the LX audio/video and navigation systems, alarms, upgrades, modifications, etc.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 31,635, Level: 1 Points: 31,635, Level: 1 Points: 31,635, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Car: 2015 Chrysler 200C V6
Member Number: 35890
Beats by Dre system

Hi all.

I have a 2011 300 Limited with the premium 6-speaker Alpine system. The "premium" part is a joke. I test drove a 2013 300S with the Beats audio system while waiting on mine to be serviced and fell in love with the sound. I want it in my car without having to trade for a new one.

So, do you guys think it would be possible? I'm no speaker expert here. If the factory wiring doesn't plug up, would I be able to splice the speakers in like you can with aftermarket ones? As far as the sub goes, I know I will have to wire that up on its own. But my 300 already has a 276-watt amp and I believe I can remove it and install the Beats amp in its place.

Also, I am aware of the aftermarket route, but I do not want to go aftermarket. I would be 100% happy with the Beats system as it is exactly what I'm looking for and is not overkill.

My question really is, should it be fairly easy to install like aftermarket speakers? Meaning that if it happens to not plug-n-play directly with factory wiring, wouldn't it be simple to have a car audio place install them as if they were aftermarket units? Surely factory speakers don't have some type of way of blocking this type of install. Also, if the other 4 speakers are required for the system to work, I can get those and other parts no problem.

Your thoughts on the install are much appreciated.

Last edited by zach2011; 12-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 72,228, Level: 1 Points: 72,228, Level: 1 Points: 72,228, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 5.7 Hemi STARTECH EDITION PRINS VSI LPG & KEIHIN INJECTORS (AIRLIFT PERFORMANCE) AUTOPILOT V2
Member Number: 32952
I have no idea myself, as its a 2nd gen model, but I do have Beats headphones and the sound quality is unreal

Heres the advert...........good things come to those who work, who work harder, who work later

Airlift Performance Autopilot V2______________________ Air_Management_ System
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I have their studio headphones, they are top notch. I love them. A friend of mine has a laptop with Beats audio and it sounds great for a computer.

I have ordered all 6 speakers to replace my current ones. When they arrive I hope they will install with no wiring modification. Hopefully soon I will figure out how to take apart the dash and rear deck. I see there's a speaker grille for a 3rd speaker on the dash despite there only being 2 speakers up there, so that gives me hope that there will be a pre-made spot for the 3rd speaker when you remove that panel. If the rear deck is the same way, I will be able to install 2 more speakers. Then I will look around for rear door panels that have the speaker grilles and order/install the last two.

I really don't think hooking up the speakers themselves will be an issue...but I'm worried about how the amp is set up as well as how I'm going to wire the sub. I'm hoping the amp has all the same factory plugs as my current amp so that it will be a direct swap. If so I should be all set once I get the sub installed. The audio controls on the 8.4N screen are exactly the same between my system and the Beats, so I know the radio shouldn't have to be programmed.

If anyone has any experience with this or something similar some input would be awesome. I am firm on these speakers I just want to know if any possible car audio experts think there will be something tricky to this.

Last edited by zach2011; 12-15-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Points: 7,140, Level: 1 Points: 7,140, Level: 1 Points: 7,140, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300C Luxury Series
Member Number: 2790
I also have the premium 6 speaker system and wasn't happy with it either, so I added an 8" sub with its own amplifier, which helped a lot. One thing I did notice during the install, is that the wiring for the factory sub was already in place. To use it, I would have had to replace the factory amp since the 6 speaker amp does not support a sub-woofer nor does it support a front center channel speaker. I'm guessing that the wiring for the front center speaker is already there as well, however the amp won't power it unless you splice it into one of the other front speakers. The amp we have is an 8 channel 276 watt unit. The Beats amp is 12 channel 506 watt amp. This amp supports 10 speakers. Three in front, one in each of the 4 doors, plus two on the rear deck and the sub. In order to duplicate the Beats system you will need to replace your amp with the factory Beats amp, or go after market.

Phil
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Phil,

Thank you so much for that response. That helps out a lot. I am planning on purchasing the corresponding amp and sub too so the wiring already being there is great news! Although I have a 2011, hopefully it's the same as your 2012.

I was assuming the sub wasn't counted as one of the speakers and that there was a third in the rear deck. Do you have any instructions or tips on how to access the speakers/sub area? I'd like to go ahead and check for the pre-wiring.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

The factory 8" sub is installed in the rear deck, so it is the third speaker in the deck. The other two are 6x9's. The rear deck can be easily accessed by removing the cover panel inside the trunk. It is held in place by several push pins and a couple of magnets. If I remember correctly, there are three behind the rear seat, three at the back and one in the center. The small push pins at the rear hold the magnets and don't need to be removed. After removing the cover you should see the hole for the sub. Mine was sealed over with a heavy metallic tape. Taped up next to this was the wiring for the sub. I did not install the factory sub woofer, but installed an after market unit. I under mounted it because the bolt pattern would not match the factory holes and I needed to use and adapter ring. I did not remove the package shelf, which you would do to install the factory sub, since it is top mounted with four bolts.
By the way the dash speakers are not individual grills. They are covered by a single piece which is held in place with clips and it can be easily removed.

Phil
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Points: 4,297, Level: 1 Points: 4,297, Level: 1 Points: 4,297, Level: 1
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300S V6 8 SPD
Member Number: 36311
I've had the Beats system in my car for about a year now. It's a good system, but nothing outstanding. Any quality aftermarket upgrade should easily be able to meet or surpass it. I went with it because I was tired of upgrading stuff on my vehicle all the time...I just wanted to buy it stock the way I wanted it.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Phil - Thanks again. I'm wondering if the Beats sub will hook up back there since that sub location is for the Alpine 10-speaker setup and the Beats sub is normally located on the right side of the trunk. I will have to cross my fingers and hope that it connects there. So does the dash speaker cover panel just pop off? I'm gonna try this stuff today.

Torian - yeah it's a great system. Even though aftermarket can definitely be a better setup, I do not want to bother with all the wiring and add-ons and figuring out everything I need only to possibly not like it. I went to my local car audio shop and tested everything out until I found a comparable setup I liked and it was going to run over $1k. With the Beats system I get a factory speaker upgrade only adding a sub and hopefully the other 3 speakers soon, all for about $500. I'm not a huge audiophile and the Beats are exactly what I'm looking for without having to spend a lot.

I was also tired of upgrading everything on my vehicle but when I bought mine the 2012s weren't out and I had no idea the S was coming with basically everything I could want in a car...or I would have definitely waited.

Last edited by zach2011; 12-16-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Zach2011,

You can upgrade the amp and add the extra speakers for only $500??? That's a pretty good deal. Interesting to know that the Beats system has the sub located in the right rear rather than the rear package tray. Does it have a separate amp for the sub? I wonder what if anything is in the sub location in the package tray. If their is a speaker there, then the Beats system would have 11 total speakers, not 10 as is commonly advertised.
Would love to see pics of a Beats sub.

Phil
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Beats system setup is exactly the same layout as the 10-speaker Alpine except the sub is in the trunk as opposed to the rear package tray. It has one amp located to the left of the steering column under the speedometer. The speakers are located 3 in the dash, 1 in each door panel (totaling 4), two in the rear deck, and the sub in the trunk. Following your instructions I was able to find the pre-wiring for the sub!

What a relief. Now I just hope it directly connects to the Beats sub. From the picture diagram on the parts catalog, the Beats sub (when ordered) may not arrive as a complete assembly. In the 300S, the sub is in an enclosure to fit just right in that spot in the trunk. In the parts catalog diagram, it shows the sub as the actual woofer only, no enclosure pictured. If so, I may be lucky enough to fit it where the factory sub location + wiring is in my car. I was worried I'd get the whole assembly, enclosure and all, and have to figure out how to wire it.

The sub is counted as the 10th speaker in the setup. Phil, can you tell me how to access the dash speakers? I see the cover but I'm not sure if I should take a flathead screwdriver to it and pry it up or what.

Also, here's a pic of the Beats factory sub:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement