Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

SD Card Vs USB

44K views 64 replies 11 participants last post by  Doubleg4lsu 
#1 ·
I loaded about 2000 songs onto a 16GB USB stick with the proper folder structure and it works great. I decided it would be more convenient to load them on a fast 16GB SD card. Im getting about 15 seconds of each song before it jumps to the next one now on the SD card and cant figure out why. The folder structure is exactly the same as the USB was.
Are there specs listed anywhere about type of SD cards to use? This one is a SF-16UX (10) if that means anything to anyone.

#2 · (Edited)
I've opened a query on this for such a thing and it's been 2 weeks with no answer. So much so that I've escalated and now management is involved.

Exactly what type if SD card is it? You listed some specs, but didn't say whether it was sdhc or sdxc. Apparently sdxc cards are not supported.

If it helps any the info you posted shows the card class and indicates the transfer speed.

****EDIT******

Thought I'd add some additional info about SD cards:

Class 2 for SD video recording
Class 4 and 6 for high-definition video (HD) to Full HD video recording,
Class 10 for Full HD video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills
UHS Speed Grade 1 for real-time broadcasts and large HD video files

You have a class 10 card with the UHS rating. I would assume the card reader in our car works for this. In addition, I looked up the card you have based on the spec you put in and it should have come already fat32 formatted. So that's not the issue.

I'd say there's definitely a problem here with the card skipping around. I wonder if you could format the card again, then put the music on it and see if anything changes.

Reactions: ron6468
#3 ·
Went out and bought an inexpensive SanDisk SDHC 16GB Class 4 card and it now works perfect. The SD I had previous was a high end Class 10 SDXC so I guess that's where the problem was. Seems to me that uConnect and the car mfg's would be doing themselves and us a big favor by listing more specs and compatibilies on all these electronics. Its not like the dealers are experts - long way from it. Unless you're lucky enough to get a computer geek mechanic you're both in the dark.

#4 ·
Precisely why I opened the case up. Frankly I was surprised that this info isn't readily available. If this system was tested at all (and I'm certain it was), then all of this should be known.

I opened a case requesting all of this info be published not just for the SD cards, but for the USB as well.

Any car stereo you get aftermarket has a spec sheet included that gives you this type of info.

Any way, I called to get a status of this and was told that I should have it by last Thursday.

I got nothing, so I went up the chain.

I've got several issues being worked on now, but I'll be sure to push this on. This information should have been in the owners manual.

#5 ·
I agree. Once the auto mfg's decided to fill our cars with audio and computer electronics they entered a tech area where there is a lot of outside expertise, 3rd party suppliers and complicated specs and data. Its like they gave us the toys but didnt think we needed too much the details to operate them - just the basics. Now we find ourselves as customers having to go the original manufacturers of the hardware and software to troubleshoot our Garmins, uConnects, Sound systems, etc and bypass Chrysler altogether since no our dealers cant help us - much of the time. Complaints aside though, I do love all these gadgets and toys :)

#6 ·
I agree. Once the auto mfg's decided to fill our cars with audio and computer electronics they entered a tech area where there is a lot of outside expertise, 3rd party suppliers and complicated specs and data. Its like they gave us the toys but didnt think we needed too much the details to operate them - just the basics. Now we find ourselves as customers having to go the original manufacturers of the hardware and software to troubleshoot our Garmins, uConnects, Sound systems, etc and bypass Chrysler altogether since no our dealers cant help us - much of the time. Complaints aside though, I do love all these gadgets and toys :)
Same here.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm an old electronics hobbyist. An OLD electronics hobbyist. I still remember when consumer electronics came with detail, and even a big, fold-out circuit diagram in the back of the owner's manual, and if a component fried, we had a good chance to figure out what went wrong and fix it. With a soldering iron.

Now, we get a quick connect guide, and that's about it. :(

#12 ·
I can't confirm for sure because I haven't received the spec sheet, even after a month now, but I believe there are issues with class 10 cards. Hopefully they don't string me along and close the ticket without answering this.

So for now the assumption is class 10 cards may not be supported.

#17 ·
Well it seems class 10 cards do work, based on input received. I will have to get an SDXC card and see if it's the format that's the issue or something else.

#18 ·
Scratch what I just wrote. SDXC cards will work. Seems they are defaulted to exFAT, so a formatter which will change this to fat32 is needed.

I'll still look into trying this. I would assume it works until either my test is done, or someone chimes in with results.

Reactions: ron6468
#20 ·
OK, I've just tried a 64 Gb SDXC card formatted to fat32. The car didn't recognize it.
I suspect 32 Gb may be the max for our cars. I have yet to confirm whether SDXC
works at all. I'm not sure they will.

However, there may be a work around: get a USB card reader and use the USB port.

For now, I'll put it down that SDXC cards of 64Gb don't work, but they may work for 32Gb.
We'll have to see.

#22 ·
Ron, you are absolutely right.

Still waiting for the official document, but it looks as if SDXC cards are out for sure. Chrysler at one time had a list of SD manufacturers and SD card models that were known to work and I don't remember seeing a single SDXC card on that list. Not sure what happened to that list though.

However, if you've got a USB SD card reader, that will work. You load the SDXC card into the reader and plug it into the USB port.

However, I have read where others are able to use much larger USB drives once they format them to fat32, so using an SDXC card via a USB reader may be moot.

#24 ·
I've only used the 16Gb that I had in my old 300, but when I was researching I found someone on the charger forum had used a western digital 500Gb drive. The one thing to remember is
that the drive must be formatted to fat32 as you mention, it also must get power via the USB connect. If it has a separate power supply it won't work.

#25 ·
Gang, looking for some help here. What audio file types are supported? The Chrysler and Uconnect manuals lack any definitive information. On my 2012 300 SRT8, I have tried .wav files on a 4GB USB thumb drive, 64GB SDXC card, and 32GB SDHC card, all fat32 formatted. No luck. The 64GB card wasn't recognized (for reasons thoroughly discussed earlier in this thread). The 32GB SD card and the 4GB USB thumb drive came up with "no supported files" (or words to that effect). My audio collection is in FLAC and WAV format. I'm planning to convert a few samples to MP3 and try as soon as I get a chance, but am interested in your experiences. Thanks.

#26 ·
I'm using mp3. The system is said to support wav and wma files as well. As far as I know that's about it.

How are you arranging the files? It seems the system performs best with a type of folder grouping, such as Music/Artist/Album folder arrangement.

BTW, I'm still waiting for answers to these questions regarding this information. Chrysler really did us and themselves a disservice by not publishing this info.

We are basically beta testers at this point.

#27 ·
Thanks Cool V. I agree that it feels like we are beta testing, but surely this system was designed to certain requirements, and those specifications are documented somewhere in the archives of Chrylser, Uconnect, or some other integrator.

For my last test, I had one folder with the artist's name, year of album, and album title. For example: "Name - 2006 - Title". In that folder were 12 WAV files structured as "Song Name.wav".

For my next test, I'll try a single WAV file (no folders). If that doesn't work, I'll try a single MP3 file.

BTW, the Gen 1 SRT owner's manuals were much more informative about supported files.

#28 ·
absolutely agree on gen I documentation being much more informative. In fact any system that deals with USB, SD cards, iPODs, etc should have this information. I've not had any other case where this hasn't been provided.

#29 ·
Subscribed.

#30 ·
After further experimenting, I was able to get .mp3 files to play. The mp3 files were encoded at 320 Kbps and placed on a 32 GB SDHC card (fat32 formatted). That's the good news. Unfortunately, the mp3 files lacked depth and did not sound nearly as good as lossless formats (e.g., flac, wav, etc). I previously discovered that neither flac nor wav is supported on the 2012 300 SRT Uconnect. Today, I tried WMA lossless on the same SD card. The Uconnect system could see the .wma files but would not play them.

Has anyone had any success with lossless formats?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.