Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2012 upgrade from 4 inch screen

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TheKrell 
#1 ·
Is it possible to upgrade to the larger screen on 2012 300 limited AWD model

#3 ·
I just bought a 2012 Limited and the only draw back was the 4" screen versus the 8.4 with Back up and Nav.
I'm assuming you can just buy an OEM upgrade, get new bezel. is there any kind of programing needed from dealership or Anti Theft issues with doing this, additional harness? Or should it just plug on in and work?
Also it appears the car has a camera where the trunk latch button is to the left of it, is that accurate?

Thanks for the help.

2012 Chrysler 300 Limited

#4 ·
My trunk latch button is on the right, while the camera is on the left. If your car does not already have the camera as mine didn't, you have to buy a whole kit w/cable and fish it from the camera w/new stoplight and button all the way up to the radio. A dealer then had to reconfigure every module in my car (no other way) to get the radio to pay attention to my new camera.

#5 ·
I do see what appears to be a lens on the left already, like it was outfitted just in case. Is it possible they installed a camera but left it unoperable if the cust didn't pick the big screen? In other words is there a way to confirm by check either the trunk or the back of the stereo unit?

Sounds like it would cost a lot to do an oem upgrade?

Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
I do see what appears to be a lens on the left already, like it was outfitted just in case. Is it possible they installed a camera but left it unoperable if the cust didn't pick the big screen? In other words is there a way to confirm by check either the trunk or the back of the stereo unit?

Sounds like it would cost a lot to do an oem upgrade?
It's not that much trouble to take off the felt cover panel from the inside of the trunk lid to make sure the camera is there and the harness is going somewhere. You unscrew the pull-down handle and I think the rest of the liner comes off with those stupid plastic plugs.

I seriously doubt that Chrysler installed a useless camera without some upgrade, e.g. to the 8.4. I can well imagine that they decided to throw in the towel on the missing lens in the interest of simplicity, i.e. one backup light lens rather than two. My 2012 came with a backup light fixture with button but no place to mount a camera.

I was surprised that a 2012 Limited might not come with a backup camera, or a 4.3" screen. I bought my 2012 base model which came with precisely two options: the 8 speed transmission and the Bluetooth streaming voice-response system. My 2012 300 brochure has a big fold-out option matrix, and my base model shows the 4.3" only, but it most certainly came with the 8.4" screen. (Does the VR system also change the radio to 8.4?) It also shows the backup camera for the 300 Limited as "late availability". I don't know what "late" means, but mine was built in July of 2012 if memory serves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.