Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disable the Nav programming disable while in motion?

25K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  CUEBALL 
#1 · (Edited)
No, I don't want to play with the Nav while I'm driving... the wife does.
If we want to change destinations, why do I have to stop just to reprogram?

Is there a way to get around this?

#6 ·
Just been reading this and the "other" threads on the DVD hack, I recentlty used a DL Verbatim DVD-R to make a backup of my wifes AE Euro disc, no other mod's made it updates loads and runs 100% and already does do "destination on the go" I was astounded but wonder if this is a euro thing only?

#7 · (Edited)
DON'T DO IT!!!

The "Nav Hack" DVD broke my navigation unit as it has many others. The burnt dvd's cause the laser to work hard thus making the unit run a lot hotter.......resulting in a broken fan

Now i have a Nav that doesn't work and i'm trying to get rid of my car and i'm stuck with this BS because the person who gave it to me didn't warn me before hand............all i got was a BS explanation about how to replace the fan inside if the unit feels hot.............i'm PISSED the F*** OFF!!!

You've been warned............:rolleyes:

#9 ·
DON'T DO IT!!!

The "Nav Hack" DVD broke my navigation unit as it has many others. The burnt dvd's cause the laser to work hard thus making the unit run a lot hotter.......resulting in a broken fan

Now i have a Nav that doesn't work and i'm trying to get rid of my car and i'm stuck with this BS because the person who gave it to me didn't warn me before hand............all i got was a BS explanation about how to replace the fan inside if the unit feels hot.............i'm PISSED the F*** OFF!!!

You've been warned............:rolleyes:
my nav went out on me too and i used a nav hack disc...i wonder if it's the same problem

#8 ·
YoungMed....that seems a little odd. I've been running the in motion version for over a year now, and have not had a problem. Is it possible you just had a faulty fan in your nav unit? Have you heard of this happening to anyone else, because there are hundreds of people running them??

Just curious if this really was a disc problem, or possibly just a bad nav unit which could happen to anyone?

#10 ·
Not sure if it's related, but my CD player would get a "CD Error" message on any CD I tried to play. The dealer replaced the CD Player/Nav unit and all was good for about 7,500 miles. It went out again, fortunately the dealer replaced the unit again even though my 3/36 warranty is up.

I think I'm going to pull out the HAC version and start using a factory/ unburned copy again and only use the HAC version when the wife is in the car. Next time my radio goes out it's on me.:yuck:

#11 ·
Weird... I have the hack on my car for about a year now and no problems. I dont use the Nav that often. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Anybody with the hack upgrade their dvd? Is it possible or am I stuck with this one?

#12 ·
I have had the nav hack disc for a year now...same with about 80% of my car club members and no problems here at all the only thing I know that when you install the disc be sure not to turn the car or nav off while it updates because it is flashing the nav. and that is very very improtant no to disturb it....but no problems here at all I love it

#16 ·
FWIW
Once you load the "Nav" disc, you will not be able to go backwards, the unit reads it as an update.

(have been running ours for almost a year, no problems! LOVE IT.)

Hello Chrysler, let the people make their own decisions and let us sign a wavier that we will not sue with the in motion "mod". We should have a choice. I don't want a nanny watching out for me, thanks anyway.

To all those that made this "Mod" a reality,
Thank You!

#17 ·
FWIW
Once you load the "Nav" disc, you will not be able to go backwards, the unit reads it as an update.

(have been running ours for almost a year, no problems! LOVE IT.)

Hello Chrysler, let the people make their own decisions and let us sign a wavier that we will not sue with the in motion "mod". We should have a choice. I don't want a nanny watching out for me, thanks anyway.

To all those that made this "Mod" a reality,
Thank You!
What do you mean by not allow you to go backwards? Yu mean once you use the hack your stuck with that version of the NAV disk. you can never update ?

#21 ·
ae disc

i wanted to post for those who had the navtek oem AE disc. If you updated your disc to the nav in motion your probably aware you can no longer use your stock AE disc. You might not be aware that the AE disc is going to replaced here in a few weeks. So what i would suggest is that because its difficult to get a copy of ae disc from the dealer and there is a new one coming out and you cant use the oem disc, sell it on ebay before its not worth a thing. Obviously its only for those who have the oem navtek ae disc and NOT the hacked disc. Ebay prices on these stock AE disc fetch somewhere between $50-80 bucks used. Not bad for something you can no longer use and will be replaced soon.

#22 ·
i wanted to post for those who had the navtek oem AE disc. If you updated your disc to the nav in motion your probably aware you can no longer use your stock AE disc. You might not be aware that the AE disc is going to replaced here in a few weeks. So what i would suggest is that because its difficult to get a copy of ae disc from the dealer and there is a new one coming out and you cant use the oem disc, sell it on ebay before its not worth a thing. Obviously its only for those who have the oem navtek ae disc and NOT the hacked disc. Ebay prices on these stock AE disc fetch somewhere between $50-80 bucks used. Not bad for something you can no longer use and will be replaced soon.

Good point!

Once you go forward, you can't go back.

I wonder if I can get $0.50 for my ancient AB disc. :biggrin:

#27 · (Edited)
AF Version

Has anyone purchased the AF version yet?

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse;pgid=31dce3Wq3QdSR0MxOotKzICB0000RLEXC-Zg?CatalogCategoryID=5noKCggQi8cAAAEOaS0Z6UI4&Show AllProducts=YES

Chrysler Group DVD Navigation Map Update for North America - version AF
Availability: This item will be released the week of February 18th, 2008. Pre-order now!

Version: 05064033AF

This new DVD map update features coverage across the continental United States and Canada. It contains over 6.1 million miles of road and offers more than 8 million points of interest including more than:

471,000 restaurants
69,000 hotels
116,000 ATMs
93,000 gas stations

#29 ·
To my knowlegde only Verbatim DL +/- R work in our nav system.

#30 · (Edited)
well it happened, my nav locked up on the upgrade. i followed the directions.
1 put in acc mode
2 removed old dvd
3 inserted new dvd (AF)
4. nothing -No error or anything
5 went back to ae disk
6 nothing -No error or anything
7 powered off and started with ae disk
8 all is well Chrysler logo then nag screen
9 remove ae disk ; insert af dvd
10 starts update (please do not turn engine off) msg -stops at 1 bar (mark) in progress bar.
11 never recovers. stays in that mode but progress bar never moves
12 power off (yes i know it says dont, but it's been an hour with no progress
12 put back in ae dvd same results as steps 10 & 11

no in motion applied. vanilla image

i heard when this happens, it has to go back to factory for refresh.

has this happened to anyone ?
i have extra care warranty ($0 deduct) so,i hope it's covered.

all dvd's are copies but the ae worked for over a year.

also, any ideas on how to explain this to the dealer? at least i'm on good terms with dealer (10 years of regular service)

is it possible that af dvd was bad, but it started the update and hung up. then it was too late to put the ae back in. but i get the same results with both disks. progress bar trying to do update but only gets one bar (mark)

i burnt a second dvd to no avail

when an older dvd is inserted (ae) when (af) is installed, what message appears on the display?

#36 · (Edited)
well it happened, my nav locked up on the upgrade. i followed the directions.
1 put in acc mode
2 removed old dvd
3 inserted new dvd (AF)
4. nothing -No error or anything
5 went back to ae disk
6 nothing -No error or anything
7 powered off and started with ae disk
8 all is well Chrysler logo then nag screen
9 remove ae disk ; insert af dvd
10 starts update (please do not turn engine off) msg -stops at 1 bar (mark) in progress bar.
11 never recovers. stays in that mode but progress bar never moves
12 power off (yes i know it says dont, but it's been an hour with no progress
12 put back in ae dvd same results as steps 10 & 11

no in motion applied. vanilla image

i heard when this happens, it has to go back to factory for refresh.

has this happened to anyone ?
i have extra care warranty ($0 deduct) so,i hope it's covered.

all dvd's are copies but the ae worked for over a year.

also, any ideas on how to explain this to the dealer? at least i'm on good terms with dealer (10 years of regular service)

is it possible that af dvd was bad, but it started the update and hung up. then it was too late to put the ae back in. but i get the same results with both disks. progress bar trying to do update but only gets one bar (mark)

i burnt a second dvd to no avail

when an older dvd is inserted (ae) when (af) is installed, what message appears on the display?
That's why you leave the burning of nav discs to the pro's...J/K. lol.

Seriously, put the factory disc in, go to the dealership and play dumb. Say you started the car up and the nav screen showed this... They will get you a new/reburshed unit at no charge.

This is for everyone planning on putting a newer nav disc in the unit...hack or OEM. When you put in the new nav disc for the 1st time the power to the car must not be interrupted during the upgrading process. That will cause the nav unit to become useless and cause you a trip to a "steelership" to get a replacement nav unit.

Here are the steps.
1. Turn the car on
2. Put the disc in
3. Let the unit update (approximately 5 minutes)
4. Go test it on the road and see if it works:fing02:

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

#31 ·
Looks like it partially upgraded the firmware then hung, makiing your unit useless to both versions. I don't know if Chrysler will catch this, but you just vioded your warranty doing this.

It may turn out they'll just replace it, but be prepared for a hefty bill if they notice something's been hacked.

Bernie

#33 ·
bernie,
i have original dvd's of the aa and ae disk so i can prove (?) what i did was ok
upgrading from aa to ae is acceptable as a user performed process , isn't it?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you on this. Were you trying to use a DVD with the in motion nav hack, or simply updating your maps?

If you were just updating in the normal way then you're fine and it's fully warrantied. There is no copy protection on the DVD and copies for personal use are allowed, so that's fine too. I use my backup and keep the original in the house.

You just need to clarify that. Didn't mean to scare you!!!

Bernie

#37 · (Edited)
NO, when I do have it in my hand I will make a post in this thread.

Oh yeah, you will be one of the first to get it...:fing02:

#39 ·
Is the Alpine disc that we use in our 300's the same one that's being used in the Nav-2-go? If it isn't the same software, do you think there will be future updates for a piece of hardware that isn't being manufactured anymore?

NYC SRT8: Is there any change in the appearance of the maps or other navigation features?

#40 · (Edited)
Is the Alpine disc that we use in our 300's the same one that's being used in the Nav-2-go? If it isn't the same software, do you think there will be future updates for a piece of hardware that isn't being manufactured anymore?

NYC SRT8: Is there any change in the appearance of the maps or other navigation features?
If you are talking about the difference between the AE and AF the difference is the AF has more upt to date maps and POI's (point of interests). The hacked version allow you to use it while the car is moving.

#41 ·
#45 ·
I received my disc today (Friday 4/11) and it works fine.

As a general rant however, I still can't believe how lousy the research for this Navtech software in this newest version still is. We are in a part of south Florida, that even with the housing problems, has seen over 20,000 new homes built in the last five years. There are secondary roads (avenues, boulevards etc) that still do not show up. The Wal-Mart Supercenter that has been here since 2004 is still not on their list of Wal-Mart's. There are two branches of Bank of America that have been open for three years and neither is listed. This software really has become a stepchild to both Alpine and Navtech.
Wow, the AF disc has every street here in nyc. I should consider myself lucky.:biggrin:

#46 ·
Thanks for the AF disc NYC_SRT8. It worked like a charm.

I turned on the car, removed the AE disc, insert new disc and bam upgraded. :fing02: :fing02:

#47 ·
No problem. Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.