Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2006 300C Radio Display Has Gone Our, but Radio Still Works? Is it an easy fix??

80K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  MADDOG 
#1 ·
Looking for advice: I have a 2006 300C with the premium Bose Radio and Navigation system. Recently the large 3"x4" LCD Radio screen started going on the fritz.

When I start the car the screen and controls work find for the first 10 minutes or so. Then the Radio LCD screen goes blank, but the radio and the preset stations still work fine.

Once the LDC screen goes out, the radio controls ont he stearing wheel will no longer change channels, but the presets on the radio will change stations.

Does anyone know of a Service Bulletin or have an idea as to the intermittant cause of my LCD Screen problems?

Trying to diagnoise this before I bring it to the dealer and have hime tell me to replace the entire radio for big $$

Thanks
Gary
Andover NJ

#3 ·
Bad thing is that most radios / media centers are exchange only parts which means that dealers can't open them up or try to repair them. They must replace it with an entire new unit.

The only TSB resembling anything described is as follows:

TSB 08-018-06

SUBJECT:
No Radio Audio Or Display Following Engine Crank

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the radio with new software.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a RAQ or REF sales code radio built on or before October 30, 2005 (MDH 1030XX)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
No radio audio or display following engine crank. All radio functions return when ignition key is turned off and back into accessory.

#6 ·
The dealership would also have to first confirm that the TSB applied to the problem your vehicle is experiencing. Dealerships are independently owned and operated businesses so you would have to ask the dealer how much Tech time they would charge for both diagnosis and repair.

Unfortunately due to the many variables its impossible to determine why the vehicle never exhibited this problem before and just started to show up.

#8 ·
I've been researching my same problem for quite some time now. From what I'm gathering from my Internet research is that the problem is associated with solder issues on the radios control board. It appears there are components that are temperature sensitive. My understanding is that when we first start our cars these components are cool and as they warm up we start to loose our screens. Some with the appropriate skills have had some luck identifying and re-soldering the problem components but really risky. It looks like mine is off to United Radio at my first opportunity.

#10 ·
Electronic components and connections do wear out. Luckily, mine is doing just fine but I hear about this at least once a week. If you have a test bench and know how to diagnose then fix small soldered connections on circuit boards, you can probably fix this. The dealer can't.

#11 ·
I"m having this issue. I've had the radio out and mostly dismantled. I did not see any noticeable scorched places on the board. All solder joints appear okay. I tried testing the small fan on the back with a 9V battery and it didn't come on so I ordered a new fan and put it on. I can't tell if the fan ever comes on though when installed in the car. I thought it was temperature dependent since it seemed to only work when they car had been sitting and it was cooler of a morning. However, I'm questioning this since now it's winter and 30 degrees outside. It still seems to sporadically come on and work. Where can I find information on setting up a test bench for this? Thanks.

#12 ·
It can be serviced. It's normally a failure of the CB and it can be repaired.

There are several online firms that specialize in such repairs. Just Google Chrysler REC NAV repair. Some offer exchanges for refurbished items with your unit as a core or they can repair yours in most cases.

Just Google Chrysler REC NAV radio repair

#13 ·
Mine hasnt worked for 2 years now. Exact same thing as described. On cold starts the screen displays for a min or so some times not all the time. Cold mornings is best to get a screen display. it was just long enough to set my presets. The side buttons work for changing radio stations but thats it. Nav and any other function wont work as you need the screen to display to function. Ebay sells replacments for around 500 bucks. thats your best bet other than a replacement of a different type but that means more tech savoy install than im ready to do. i just live with the radio for now. I normally just listen to the growl of the engine anyway. haha

#14 ·
If you need one bud I have a rec nav in a box ready to go, great shape with no issues... I went aftermarket. It's collecting dust so pm me and I'll work you up a hell of a deal bud, figured I'd keep it till another forum member said they needed one instead of fleabaying it! Just tossing it out there...

Reactions: Whipper300
#16 ·
Yep... One has the rear camera input and Sirius... Like mine... The other does not.

The upgraded unit is backwards compatible but not vice versa.

#17 ·
The problem is associated with a solder connection separating when the unit warms up. I sent mine to a guy on eBay with the user ID eflow666. He had it repaired and back to me very quickly. Mine also had a problem with the CD changer that was repaired at the same time. This guy was incredibly professional and quick. I don't remember the cost but it was a lot less than replacing it with a different one which would probably also fail in time. I hope this helps.

#18 ·
Good info! Lots of people have issues with the rec, people who still fix them are few and far between anymore.

#19 ·
So I have a 2006 with Sirius but no rear camera. There is an AUX available in the back I think. I have the navigation unit with the 6 disc changer but no rear camera. I vaguely remember the AUX because soon after I got my car I took it in for a warranty item and asked how hard it was to access that AUX input in order to hook up a jump drive or something. So would that mean I could replace my radio with either version? I no longer have/use Sirius. Thanks.

#20 ·
Hey, all!

Been awhile since I've been here. Like others have reported, my radio/nav unit (original to my 2006 300C) conked out two years ago. Similar issue -- screen is dark, buttons on steering wheel and along the bottom of the unit don't work, although whatever mode is currently active continues to work. In my case, I had it set to CD before it conked out, so I'm able to use the side buttons to switch between CDs but not switch to radio or use the nav system. And, like others have reported, it seems to work fine for a little while on very cold days (temperatures below freezing), but sometimes only for a matter of minutes before it goes dark again.

At the time, I couldn't find anybody willing to fix the issue and wasn't willing to pay $2000 for a new unit directly from Chrysler, so I bought a $99 TomTom GPS that I can stick on the windshield and have been living with the CD player.

Well, I finally decided enough was enough and last week purchased what was billed as a "factory OEM navigation radio" from oemautopartsco.com for $750 (including shipping). It came in yesterday and I had it installed today. So far, everything seems to be working fine, so I've got my fingers crossed.

A couple of things to note:

1. Since I'm an idiot, I thought that "factory OEM navigation radio" meant factory new. In fact, however, the system is clearly used (although in very good condition) and may or may not have been refurbished. I'm kind of hoping it was been refurbished and not just scavenged out of a car that either was destroyed or got upgraded to a newer system, since that would mean that somebody might have actually resoldered the connection that seems to be the cause of all the problems.

2. While looking at the owner manual that came with the unit, I found the following information in the "Troubleshooting" section at the back:
Symptom: No operation/no display
Cause: Temperature in vehicle is too hot
Solution: Lower the temperature in the vehicle:
* Open vehicle windows
* Turn on air conditioner
So, it looks like they are actually aware of the problem, although the suggested solution is ridiculous (unless you can cool the car down below freezing).

#21 ·
Hope you got a good one. It would probably take some time at Arctic temps to cool the inside of the REC. Maybe we should all carry parkas in the trunk. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.