Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2006 CRD coughs/splutters under hard acceleration

11K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  SixOfOne 
#1 ·
Hi,
If I drive it normally, the car is fine, but if I kick her in the guts she coughs and splutters.
Initially I thought it was a fuel problem so I installed a new filter but nothing changed.
I've searched the forums, and if it was a petrol motor I would be now looking at cleaning the throttle body. It seems from those posts the problem might be the short trip life style the CRD is living at the moment (about 5k twice a day 5 days a week).
Sadly, my mechanic has closed shop since my last visit, and the local dealership are less than helpful. (I've been waiting 5 months for the "pink park break thingy" from them, in the meantime I got the aluminium one from Billet and installed it myself)

Being a turbo diesel, I have no idea what is clogged up and needs cleaning and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

#2 ·
btw: looking through the forums for answers I saw something I forgot, but don't know if it's important.
I have also noticed that I can hear "turbo blow off" noise when i back off. It's a quieter version of what the young guys do to their "fast and furious" 4 cyl cars.

#10 · (Edited)
They said this...........

Part Numbers:
VM No: G129 / G219 / 712120

OEM No: 6NW008412

Vehicle Details:
Make: CHRYSLER, Model: 300C, Engine Size: 3.0 , Spec: CRD, Year: 2005 - 2011

Common Faults:
We find with this Turbo Actuator for the Chrysler 300c model with the 3 litre engine from 2005 to 2011 will cause the engine to suffer from hesitations during hard acceleration.

CHRYSLER 300C 3.0 CRD ACTUATOR (TURBO) - Part No: G129 / 6NW008412

and they rebuild them (with lifetime warranty), making me think it's a mechanical fault/problem, so I might just pull mine out and have a look at it.

Meanwhile the 1st of 3 code readers has arrived... bought 1 that connects to a computer, 1 that blue tooth's to my phone, and 1 stand alone unit, all for less than $100.
Ok it's overkill, but I do love technology

#11 ·
Ok, 1st code reader arrived, though I have little faith in it. It's a Maxiscan MS509 and the software didn't instal in windows 7 pro, so i went to Autel's site, and the model wasn't listed and when I checked for a serial number it was all but missing :( I have contacted the seller, I am suspicious :)

Anyway code P0670 showed up:
Glow plug control, module control, circuit open:

This is what P0670 Chrysler Glow Plug Control Module Circuit Fault OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com had to say.........

Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Lack/Loss of Power
- The engine may be harder to start
- Engine hesitation

Possible causes
- Faulty Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM)
- GPCM harness is open or shorted
- GPCM circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

I gather in this instance, engine hesitation relates to start up and when it's cold?

#15 ·
The actuator is the main suspect.
On the bright side, chasing down the problem has shown me a couple of preemptive things i can do on what is basically an excellent motor.

I've already replaced the "pink park lock out thingy" with an aluminium one from Billet after it failed, and a new set of TPMS valves arrived so those problems are now gone.

Given that I don't think the previous owner was all that kind to her, and she's now done 160k on Aussie roads, I can't really complain about the car.

Now if I can just work out how to keep her shiny all the time with minimum effort :)

#16 · (Edited)
Ok, it's been awhile and I do owe thanks to gasman.

The Turbo Actuator was the problem, and I didn't feel like paying for the whole package (turbo and actuator) so with a small amount of research, my actuator went from Australia to England and back. It cost me a total of $360 (Aust) including postage, took 2 weeks (with Easter in the middle) and it's all good.

I can recommend Turbo Developments for anyone with a similar problem, and Iwona is the person I dealt with. All paid for with paypal.

Iwona Buczkowska
Turbo Developments Ltd
Unit 9-10 Churchill House
114 Windmill Road
Brentford
Middlesex
TW8 9NA
020 8560 3927
sales@turbodevelopemtns.co.uk
Turbo Developments - Turbo Remanufacture - Reconditioned Turbochargers - Turbo Repairs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.