Cooling Problem - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Performance Forums > Cooling > Engine Cooling
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 662, Level: 1 Points: 662, Level: 1 Points: 662, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 19038
Cooling Problem

Well I have had the 300c for a little over a month now and just yesterday the check engine light came on. Took it over to the local AutoZone to read the code. Of course I ahve already forgotten the code number but the code point at a bad thermostat or coolant sensor. Of course it has to be multiple guess and can't marrow it it down to one. Any idea which is more likely? I am defineltly goning to replace both and go with a 180 deg thermostat but can't get anything done till sunday. Is this to long to wait? I will anly put about 10 miles on my car a day till then. Thanks for your time and your help?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 64,248, Level: 1 Points: 64,248, Level: 1 Points: 64,248, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Car: '07 MSRT8 Bright Silver; '06 H.E. 300C Inferno Red MSRT: AHamr, Grp1, UCon, PrkSnr, 402flaps, Stealth HIDs, 22elite arm/cons, pin stripes, Predator H.E.: ProtGrpII, RearVES, Sunroof, UCon, Sirius, 402flaps/cowl, 22elite arm/VEScov, Stealth HID fogs
Member Number: 3755
What was your temperature guage reading? What was the digital readout in the EVIC diagnostic menu (hold music and menu buttons simultaneously for about 7-10 sec to see the diagnostic menu then up or down through the pages).

Why would you go to Autozone vs. the local Chrysler/Dodge dealer for the read or the fix?

If you've lost the ability to monitor your temperature, but you're confident the thermostat is functioning properly, then I'd say you're okay until the weekend. If not... then get it to the dealer. Got any warranty coverage from your purhcase date, or an extended contract?

In love with my first wife & first car ('68 Charger) ... still have the wife
but now there's the Heritage Edition and a Magnum SRT8!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Points: 662, Level: 1 Points: 662, Level: 1 Points: 662, Level: 1

Member Number: 19038
Ok I did not know about the holding the two buttons down to get to another menu. I will try that after I get out of work. To the best of my knowledge I think it is the sensor but I am saying this only from observing the engine when the light first came on and I don't believe that the engine is overheating. I have checked the dipstick about a hundred times checking to see if there is any coolant in the engine but have yet to find any, which leads me to believe that the thermostat is not totally messed up and since it doesn't look like it is overheating maybe I will cross my fingers and baby it for a couple of days. I only went to Autozone because they will check the code fast and free. I am hoping to wait to the weekend because I want to do it myself and that is the when my schedule frees up and I was planning of upgrading the thermostat to the 180 deg here in a free months when I put on a free other mods so why do the thermostat twice?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Contributing Member
Points: 93,196, Level: 1 Points: 93,196, Level: 1 Points: 93,196, Level: 1
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Car: 2005 300C magnesium
Member Number: 232
Last winter I got a TSTAT code, I think PO128 -THERMOSTAT RATIONALITY a couple of different times.
The second time I checked my Evic temps and they were in the mid 170's, when they should have been in the 195 - 203 range.
My TSTAT must have been stuck open, or opening early, for a few days.
Then everything went back to normal and the DTC's stopped appearing.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 64,248, Level: 1 Points: 64,248, Level: 1 Points: 64,248, Level: 1

Car: '07 MSRT8 Bright Silver; '06 H.E. 300C Inferno Red MSRT: AHamr, Grp1, UCon, PrkSnr, 402flaps, Stealth HIDs, 22elite arm/cons, pin stripes, Predator H.E.: ProtGrpII, RearVES, Sunroof, UCon, Sirius, 402flaps/cowl, 22elite arm/VEScov, Stealth HID fogs
Member Number: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombat_Khuck View Post
Ok I did not know about the holding the two buttons down to get to another menu. I will try that after I get out of work. To the best of my knowledge I think it is the sensor but I am saying this only from observing the engine when the light first came on and I don't believe that the engine is overheating. I have checked the dipstick about a hundred times checking to see if there is any coolant in the engine but have yet to find any, which leads me to believe that the thermostat is not totally messed up and since it doesn't look like it is overheating maybe I will cross my fingers and baby it for a couple of days. I only went to Autozone because they will check the code fast and free. I am hoping to wait to the weekend because I want to do it myself and that is the when my schedule frees up and I was planning of upgrading the thermostat to the 180 deg here in a free months when I put on a free other mods so why do the thermostat twice?
Sounds like you're not too knowledgeable about cars (not trying to knock you). So let me be clear...

You don't check the coolant level with a dipstick. The dipstick is for the oil level... it's over by the fuse box... and it says oil on the pull tab. I sure hope you can see a level on that dipstick. If not, you need oil and soon... you're more than a quart low... maybe two quarts!

The coolant level you can see in your overflow reservoir... that tank behind the air filter box on the driver's side. The level should be somewhere between Min and Max., particularly when cold.

The transmission fluid level has no dipstick and only your dealer can tell you about that. But if the car is shifting okay then transmission fluid is not your problem.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
Points: 26,977, Level: 1 Points: 26,977, Level: 1 Points: 26,977, Level: 1

Member Number: 18060
one you didnt mention was did you hear your fans kick on? reason i say is if your tsat was messed your fans would kick on but if they didnt i think you may have a small sensor fault drive it nice and easy and if you see the temp gauge go past half way then start to watch it, if it keeps climbing you got a problem houston let us know how it goes bud
Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Points: 4,058, Level: 1 Points: 4,058, Level: 1 Points: 4,058, Level: 1

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300 awd
Member Number: 18227
Send a message via MSN to SyNz
theromstat problems

Last week my 300 overheated first it stopped blowing warm and then finally overheated...took a week to order a thermostat from Toronto... finally got it installed and found out that its a engine oil cooler problem and need to order it back east again...another 5 days *sighs* and what I was told that there is a problem with many others and other makes causing thermostats to go...that is what i understood when the service department explained it to me...so im hopeing to get my car back next wednesday!!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyNz View Post
Last week my 300 overheated first it stopped blowing warm and then finally overheated...took a week to order a thermostat from Toronto... finally got it installed and found out that its a engine oil cooler problem and need to order it back east again...another 5 days *sighs* and what I was told that there is a problem with many others and other makes causing thermostats to go...that is what i understood when the service department explained it to me...so im hopeing to get my car back next wednesday!!
there she is! get it back soon! and pm me when your online next time got a meet coming up
Old 10-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Points: 4,058, Level: 1 Points: 4,058, Level: 1 Points: 4,058, Level: 1

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300 awd
Member Number: 18227
Send a message via MSN to SyNz
hey sure sounds like fun...if i ever get my baby back lol let me know when and where the meet is looking forward to it!!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

lets us know when you get it back and we meet every tuesday send me a pm ill give you the 411 on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement