2012 srt8 6.4L idle vibration and noise - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Car:
2012 srt8 6.4L idle vibration and noise

Hello everyone I have spent countless hours on reading forums on here and find the most folks think that the hemi just idles a tad rough intermittently and makes a tapping or missing noise. SO here is my story. Bought the srt8 with 7k miles in July of 2015. Awesome ride. Never noticed engine noises at idle until this very mild winter in TX. The noise isn't terrible but is like a tap tap or small clunk noise heard from engine bay from inside the car. It also vibrates the steering wheel brake pedal and shifter knob somewhat. It is not pleasurable but not awful. Annoying and nervous a cam or rod or lifter might be problem. I'm taking to dealer on Monday march 21st but still want other people's opinion. Also had a start up the other day where the engine for a quick second made a lifter noise. And also another weird thing happened where a medium acceleration to 3k rpms and a loud ping noise and immediate loss of power but then immediate recovery and no power loss after. However since then idle has gotten a little more choppy and I'm listening to engine more now. FYI the engine has 20k miles now. That's it! Engine oil level is fine and no other mechanical issue . I can't stand dealers but it's under warranty. Help if anyone is knowledgeable and a mechanic that would be great insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 81,296, Level: 1 Points: 81,296, Level: 1 Points: 81,296, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Thanked 2,121 Times in 1,919 Posts
Garage
Check the throttle body to make sure it's clean.

Also, is your CEL on?

Michael
2006 300C SRT8
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Car:
Is CEL a code? There is no codes and me cleaning the throttle body isn't something I'll do. I will let dealer look at it but I'm sure they will be like. Nothing wrong with it. Idk. I know that new spark plugs are recommended for 30k miles. This car before I bought it, sat in a garage with a cover on it because it's 2012 and in July of 2015 only had 7k miles....maybe plugs dealer will say? Who knows
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Car:
What I will say is shake is enough to be felt when I hear it too. When going through touch less car wash last night it seemed worst. I do have short CAI by k and n I believe. It helped with mileage and power immediately but hasn't been cleaned in 10k miles. Not sure if these things cause problems when dirty.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Car:
You meant check engine light. Nope. Nada.....I was surprised after the big miss at 3k rpms and a ding noise. That it didn't throw a code
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Points: 5,490, Level: 1 Points: 5,490, Level: 1 Points: 5,490, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Your not alone

Just let you know you are not alone. I have this 'exact' issue. I've had my 2012 SRT8 since 5.8K miles and started to notice this maybe around the 15K mark. Outside of the rattle box this car is, this is my biggest complaint. I've brought it up with the dealer on several occasions but they come back and tell me it's normal. To be fair, on some days it's perfectly normal, but on others its exactly as you mention and damp/muggy weather or a car wash as you mention most typically makes it worse..and just like you I have had 3 separate occasions where the car has been on the borderline of stalling. Once while in bumper to bumper traffic the idle just started to go a bit nuts bouncing down to next to nothing then coming back. After several seconds it settled. Another time when looking to merge on the highway, after applying the right foot instead of accelerating the car bogged and after a few seconds came back and started to accelerate..that was a little scary. At this point I actually thought about reporting that issue to the NTSB . I'll need to get off my butt and take a look at the throttle body. I'm also thinking maybe a faulty MAP sensor. The car hasn't thrown a code but I should probably run a scan regardless which I haven't done yet. If you find resolution I'd love to know what it is and I'll happily do the same. I'm confident we have the identical issue.

R

2012 300 SRT8, Ivory Tri-Coat,Black Chrome,H/K,SafetyTec,Leather Inter. Group
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Car:
I have open case with customer care in Detroit and I'm taking my car to another dealer possibly in Taylor tx who said they would work on it. Austin dealerships are the absolute worst ever and they suck. It still makes the noise. What I found is watching oil pressure it never makes the noise until oil pressure drops to 25 to 30 psi. When you first start car oil pressure is high and rpms is 900 to 1100. Once it drops car warms and psi drops from well over 40 at cold then drops to 28 once warm it starts making the clunk rattle and vibration. Push on gas and brake same time. Raising rpms to 800. Noise is gone. I feel like lifters aren't getting desired oil pressure. I did extensive research on this tappet and hydraulic lifter in the srt8. It requires a good oil pressure to function correctly. Because of the low oil viscosity they claim to use, oil pressure drops and the lifter doesn't seat correctly causing this noise and vibration. It's annoying. Is it going to cause mechanical failure? Who knows. That is my professional <amateur> diagnosis. However I do try royal purple 0w40 and found it did help some. Doesn't cure it. I'm stumped. I think the MDS lifters are crappie.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Car:
A cool update for you guys. No help from dealer at all. Gave up. Royal purple helps and suggest getting it. 0w 40. ALSO I got an intune I2 from Diablo and a custom tune from Sean at hemifever for the tuner. And I'm here to tell you it wakes it up! I ran 0-60 at 3.6 seconds and have one recorded I'll post on here at 3.7. Also had him eliminate MDS which is 4 cylinder mode. Totally worth it!!!!! Without MDS it has eliminated most of all engine noise and engine runs smooth and purs like a V8 on highway and no crappie drone. Forget MDS. I think I'm running as fast as Porsche 911 turbos now. I have NEVER lost a race and now with this tune it unlocks all the torque. It takes Way torque limiters and within 2500 Rpms I'm getting close to 400 lbs of torque. Unreal. Trust me you want to do this for $525 it's a steal. Cheers people
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Car:
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160823_151134245_HDR_1472228031145.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	141369  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Car:
Hello. After countless hours of research on the engine vibration and noise at idle. I have cracked the code. The engine MDS and the way the valves are set up in this engine. They need oil pressure to run smoothly and correctly. I bought a intune I2 tuner and had my custom tune guy raise the Rpm to 700 instead of the 550 which is super low Chrysler has made. Engine noise rough idle and click Clack rattle noise gone! I spoke to the mechanic at the dealership who owns same year 2012 Chrysler 300 srt8 and he said. Oh yeah man. I bought a tuner and changed idle to solve that problem. With the way the engine is designed it needs good oil pressure and having it idle so low causes problems with that rough idle. He said I changed mine to 700 and poof runs smooth as silk at idle now. Hope this helps everyone with weirs noises coming from there Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement