Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

steering coupler

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DESIREE 
#1 ·
hi my 2005 300c has play in the steering wheel looked under car and its the steering coulum coupler the u joint is shot. i went to dealership and they said it is the whole coupler that needs to be replaced which is $199 i was wondering if just the u joint can be replaced insteed of the whole coupler. they told me it cant be done any ideas? it is item 2 in pic

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds about right to me if the price includes parts and removal/installation labor.

Even if you could find the component parts of the universal joint, and someone capable of swapping out the wornout piece(s) for the new components, and have someone other than the stealership do the work, it would probably cost the same or more.

Just do it.

#6 ·
$5! Lmao

#4 ·
It's probably because they don't have just the U-Joint as a service part. More and more items are packaged and sold as "assemblies". You'd have to source the u-joint from the sub-supplier to the firm that provided the assembly to Chrysler. Or, take it out and measure the u-joint, then source that by size.

Or, go find a wrecked one (not a frontal collision but a side or rear quarter collision) and take the assembly out of that vehicle.

#8 ·
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.