low RPM i drive - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Troubleshooting Forums > General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting problems and solutions

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 697, Level: 1 Points: 697, Level: 1 Points: 697, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2009 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 35048
low RPM i drive

Hello every one,

I noticed lately that when i stop the car waiting to go again that the RPM drops down to 500RPM while the stick in D, when mpve it to N the RPM jumps to 725 RPM and stays there even when i move the stick to D.

I cleaned the TB and did not solve the problem.

Any idea? I will appreciate your help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 50,364, Level: 1 Points: 50,364, Level: 1 Points: 50,364, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Member Number: 11602
Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,505 Posts
hmm...idle speed variation without any throttle input, right? Mine hunted for an idle RPM for a while after I got the car tuned but now it's settled in to the same idle in D (700 RPM) and rises a bit if idling in Neutral, which is normal.

There could be plenty of reasons for idle variation: vacuum leaks past the throttle, clogged idle air passages, bad or clogged idle air control valve (IACV), dirty throttle body, faulty electronic throttle, problems with the wiring or connectors, ECM problems, etc. Sometimes the carbon deposits in the idle air control valve can cause it to be stuck open or closed. Sometimes even low coolant level can cause the idle fluctuation and the code P0505. Problems with the EGR and EVAP systems also can cause the code P0505. If the idle air control valve or the throttle body is dirty, sometimes cleaning the either one can solve the problem. However, in many vehicles the idle re-learn procedure must be performed after the repair is finished. In some cars, the idle re-learn procedure is performed with a scan tool, in others the ECM re-learns the idle speed after the engine is run for some time.

What I would do is make sure the coolant level is at the proper level and replace the IACV.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to MADDOG For This Useful Post:
chrysl300c (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
hmm...idle speed variation without any throttle input, right? Mine hunted for an idle RPM for a while after I got the car tuned but now it's settled in to the same idle in D (700 RPM) and rises a bit if idling in Neutral, which is normal.

There could be plenty of reasons for idle variation: vacuum leaks past the throttle, clogged idle air passages, bad or clogged idle air control valve (IACV), dirty throttle body, faulty electronic throttle, problems with the wiring or connectors, ECM problems, etc. Sometimes the carbon deposits in the idle air control valve can cause it to be stuck open or closed. Sometimes even low coolant level can cause the idle fluctuation and the code P0505. Problems with the EGR and EVAP systems also can cause the code P0505. If the idle air control valve or the throttle body is dirty, sometimes cleaning the either one can solve the problem. However, in many vehicles the idle re-learn procedure must be performed after the repair is finished. In some cars, the idle re-learn procedure is performed with a scan tool, in others the ECM re-learns the idle speed after the engine is run for some time.

What I would do is make sure the coolant level is at the proper level and replace the IACV.
MADDOG, Tanks allot man for your effort and time.

The RPM is steady. It just drops to 500 and when i move the stick to N or P it just jumps to normal RPM. I will check IACV and other things you mentioned and i hope i will not have to take it to stealership.

I will post what ever solve the problem.

Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 50,364, Level: 1 Points: 50,364, Level: 1 Points: 50,364, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Member Number: 11602
Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,505 Posts
You said in D it drops to 500, then to 725 when in N or P, and then stays there when you put it back in D. If that is true then the IACV needs some attention. It if always drops back to 500 when put in D then that's too low and it still should be looked at.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
You said in D it drops to 500, then to 725 when in N or P, and then stays there when you put it back in D. If that is true then the IACV needs some attention. It if always drops back to 500 when put in D then that's too low and it still should be looked at.
Yes sir, that is true. When i move the stick to D it stays in 725Rpm steady.

Now i am looking in the repair manual which i downloaded for the IACV so i can remove it for cleaning.

Can you tell me the location of both EGR and IACV? in all cars that i own b4, i knew the locations. But in HEMI, that is another story.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysl300c View Post
Yes sir, that is true. When i move the stick to D it stays in 725Rpm steady.

Now i am looking in the repair manual which i downloaded for the IACV so i can remove it for cleaning.

Can you tell me the location of both EGR and IACV? in all cars that i own b4, i knew the locations. But in HEMI, that is another story.
OK, Finally i found that my car is not equipped with EGR!!!

And as the parts sales man told me that IACV is included in the throttle body!!!

Anyway, i think have to put up with that until it is time to change the whole part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement