ESP/BAS light on at times? - Page 8 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Troubleshooting Forums > General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting problems and solutions

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #71 (permalink)
Points: 2,399, Level: 1 Points: 2,399, Level: 1 Points: 2,399, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 17698
I had what seems to be the same issue on my recent 07 300c. I narrowed it down to happening when the car got wet...good rain, or washing it but never figured out the true cause. Sadly a couple weekends ago a drunk driver decided to make a left turn in front of the girlfriend and I and my poor inferno red is no more On the upside of that though, we managed to find an amazing 05 300c in brilliant black at a dealer that the previous owner kept in immaculate condition, all service records, even had the original brochures and a motor trend magazine from when he purchased it. Few extra options my previous car didnt have...hid lights, sunroof, backup sensors, 6 disc with 7 speakers and the suprise bonus was the resonator delete (with the resonators wrapped up nicely in the trunk along with the intake silencer) and a spoiler.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #72 (permalink)
Points: 1,425, Level: 1 Points: 1,425, Level: 1 Points: 1,425, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300 Limited
Member Number: 20794
Has anyone pulled their Center Console or replaced Dynamics Sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longs View Post
My ESP/BAS light is on continuously, has been on for a while, never goes off. I have tried pulling the fuse and doing the left-right wheel turns to reset the steering sensor. I pulled all four wheels and checked/cleaned the connectors on the ABS sensors and the sensors themselves.

Key-dance reveals NO codes.

Any suggestions? I'll have to take it to the dealer I guess. 2006 300 Limited, so I'm sure it's not under warranty, even though it has less than 20,000 miles.
Finally made it to the dealer, they found two codes - lost communication to Dynamics Sensor and low voltage to Dynamics Sensor. They wanted to start tracing wires and wanted to check the Dynamics Sensor, which is mounted UNDERNEATH the center console. I told them not to proceed, because they said i'd be into it for $250+ just to get the console removed and then the bill would just keep ratcheting up from there. I didn't want to get into that kind of money just to find out there was a loose connector somewhere. When I got the car back, the light was still on, I'm assuming that they DID NOT clear the codes since i told them not to proceed.

Has anyone removed and reinstalled their center console? If so, how tough was the job?

Is there any way to clear the codes WITHOUT a code scanner? The key dance doesn't show any codes, so obviously the two codes were only readable with the scanner.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #73 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 38,113, Level: 1 Points: 38,113, Level: 1 Points: 38,113, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Car: 2007 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 14746
My lights have been on as well for several weeks. No ABS or traction control. No codes show up when doing key dance. Reset all fuses and modules to no avail.

Longs-if you have apredator you can clear codes with that
AFE, Corsa Catback, Predator,HHP High Flow Cats,JBA Shorties,HHP Stage1 cam,HHP CMR tune,6000k HID low & fogs,AAC 6k halos,Original American Illuminated Rear wing 486 rwhp,475 rwtq,20" chrome SRT rep's,rear SRT trunk spoiler,SRT front lip. R1 slotted/crossed drilled rotors, Luxer interior LED's, Grip grill,22Elite console cover,MGP caliper covers. Spyder Tails,ATI Procharger,PLX Multi-gauge AFR Wideband and Vacuum/Boost,Fore Industries Fuel Rails,Paramount Stage 2 VB,MTCM,Chally hood,Getrag LSD
Old 05-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #74 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 21,666, Level: 1 Points: 21,666, Level: 1 Points: 21,666, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Car: RIP 2007 Chrysler 300C SRT8 T-Boned on Sept 3 2011- Welcome 2008 300C SRT8
Member Number: 6743
UPDATE: THERE IS NOW 2 PICs INCLUDED AS ATTACHMENTs AT BOTTOM OF POST. CREDTI GOES TO 3002NV- HE WAS SELLING HIS SRT CALIPERS AND PICS INCLUDE ENTIRE SPINDLE/ROTOR/STEERING KNUCKLE ASSEMBLY, SO YOU CAN SEE EXACTLY WHAT I'M DESCRIBING. I'VE ADDED ARROWS AND DESCRIPTIONS TO AREAS IN QUESTION.

I posted about this problem months ago:
After speculating, some (including myself) suspected either, the steering angle sensor, the dynamics sensor, need of alignment, or dirty damaged wheel motion sensor.

EDIT:
The symptoms may include, but not limited to:
The obvious ESP BAS ABS indicators are on (this means that these systems respectively, have been disabled by the ECM). There will be no DTC's present, as technically there is NO system failure. During low speed driving, applying gently on the brakes causes the ABS system to energize(you'll feel the pulses in the pedal), even though there are no slippery road conditions present. The lights appear to come on and off randomly, accompanied by a warning chime. Problem may appear to remedy itself in very wet driving conditions.

In ANY case, whatever can cause the ESP ABS or BAS light to come on, as a security precaution the ECM will disable these systems respectively, and will also disable the cruise control function as an added safety precaution.

If your vehicle has similiar symptoms, then the likely cause of this, is that the sensors cannot do their jobs because of debris, dust and dirt. That explains the lack of DTC's.

DISCLAIMER: If your car IS throwing DTC's, in conjunction with the ESP BAS ABS indicators, and has other symptoms which are NOT described, then this MAY NOT work for you. YMMV, please don't come complaining! I lived with this condition for over three months, last winter. Cleaning the wheel sensors and hub surfaces worked for ME, it MAY not work for you, as there are other conditions that can trigger the ESP BAS ABS lights to come on.

Well, now that the weather has warmed up here in Calgary( and I FOUND my wheel key) I got ambitious and pulled the front wheels off. I removed the sensors, wiped them clean, as well as wiped clean the inboard faces of the hub bearings, and voila! NO MORE PROBLEMS! As Occam's Razor says: All things being equal, the simplest expanation "usually" tends to be the right one.

Before you venture out to a dealer, who will likely sing the tale of defective modules, and diagnostic charges, regardless of warranty, here's how to do it:

UPDATE: PICS INCLUDED AT BOTTOM OF POST! Credit to forum member 3002NV (he was selling his SRT calipers on another thread)

STEP 1) Firmly apply parking brake, and raise the vehicle on a flat-and level surface if possible. Lest you desire to have a horrific accident and eat front rotor to the face, I STRONGLY SUGGEST JACKSTANDS, and avoid relying on a jack alone to support the vehicle. Use factory jacking points- don't raise the car with the weight on the lower control arms, as you probably won't have enough clearance to look up, over, and behind the rotor.

If you've chosen to raise the entire front end at once, you may be able to turn the steering wheel in the direction that you are on for added access, but this is not necessary, and definitely DO NOT turn the wheel if the opposite front wheel is still touching the ground. The car may shift and fall off the jack!

STEP 2) Remove front wheel, or wheels (depending if you raised entire front end at once or not). If the thought of removing your wheels seems daunting to you, then STOP READING NOW, and forget you ever found this thread. Look up "Honest Abe's Dodge chrysler Jeep" in the phonebook- It's probably not there. J/K Have a friend who is a gear head to help you. Make sure you graciously provide beer (preferrably) after his services (not during-remember rotor-to-face example).

STEP 3)(SEE INCLUDED PICS AT BOTTOM OF POST) Once wheel/s removed, look up and over the rotor- follow the sensor cable to the inboard side of the steering knuckle. You should see a sensor held in place by a 10mm bolt. By looking at it alone, you will notice that the sensor body, travels through a cavity in the steering knuckle, and reads movement as it "sees" the inboard side of the wheel hub bearing. This is a place where dirt and debris can easily get to. In my case there was a light film of grease over this surface that little grains of dirt love to stick to. To the sensor itself they probably look like boulders!

STEP 4) Using a 10mm socket, remove the bolt and washer. Twist the base of the sensor gently back and forth to break it loose. pull it straight out the back of the steering knuckle base. You will now see the sensor in all it's glory- looks like a rectangular shaft. Use a damp cloth, and wipe the sensor clean ESPECIALLY the square tip, (eye) as this is how it gets it's readings. Do not reinstall sensor yet.

STEP 5) (SEE PICS AT BOTTOM OF POST) Using a damp cloth, wipe the inboard side of the bearing- you can hold the cloth in place with your finger, and use your other hand to turn the rotor. repeat this as necessary to ensure all dirt and debris, has been wiped away.

STEP 6) Reinstall sensor, and tighten snug, but don't crank on it, as it IS plastic. refit your wheels, and lug nuts. Once your car is lowered, torque the lug nuts in a criss-cross star pattern to 110 ft/lbs (SRT)- (may be same torque value for 18" 5.7L wheels-not sure)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the intermittent nature of this condition, when you first start you car, the ESP BAS ABS lights may still be illuminated. This is because the ECM still remembers the last state that the system was in prior to the sensor cleaning. IF IN FACT dirty sensors were the culprit, once you put the car in "drive" and start moving, the indicators will go away, ESP BAS ABS and cruise control functions will be restored.

STEP 7) If all has gone as planned, pat yourself on the back, as cheating the dealer out of your hard earned money, is analogous, as having cheated the Grim Reaper himself! lol.

Also, keep in mind that I didn't do this to the rear wheels, as it was not necessary. Had the condition still been present, that would've been my next step. YMMV and you MAY have to do this as well to rule out the desision of going to the dealer. The rear sensors may or may not have a different design, and MAY or MAY not be prone to the accumulation of dirt and debris. As I have not closely inspected them, I cannot say.

A few minutes of your time, and you may save yourself a trip to the dealer, and who knows what THEY would have come up with! Not-to mention losing the use of your car, while they keep it for three, or more days!

Just remember: Safety first- USE JACKSTANDS, as you don't want to rely on a jack alone while your head is between the wheel well and rotor.
Attached Thumbnails
ESP/BAS light on at times?-srt_brake_spindle_assy.jpg   ESP/BAS light on at times?-srt_brake_spindle_assy2.jpg  

RIP 2007 300C SRT8...Built On Tue Apr 10 21:00:00 PDT 2007. T-Boned On Sat Sept 3 05:21:00 MDT 2011.
Never Once Did She Let Me Down. You Will Be Missed...

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have ****** with? That's me." Clint Eastwood as Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
Elite Contributing Member
Points: 42,897, Level: 1 Points: 42,897, Level: 1 Points: 42,897, Level: 1

Car: 2005 All options but sunroof 300C
Member Number: 942
Excellent write-up vyper. Good show!
Bogart Racing 17x11 17# Drag Wheels-Set #01
Kooks Port-Matched LX Headers-Set#01
PEDDERS Complete Suspension System
GSM Phenolic Spacer, 5.7-Set#01
PPP Meister Warrior cam-#01

GSM 1000 hp halfshafts-#01
SRT8 instrumentation-#01
Goodyear F1 GS-D3s-#01
Shock tower braces-#01
MotoRad 176 tstat-#01
DR Stage 2 heads-#02
SRT8 Brembos-#01
GSM 5.7L Mod-#01
Fast56K-TCM-#01
AirHammer-#01

12.97@107.7-#01
176 mph-#01
Willow: 1:44-#01
Laguna: 1:45-#01

12.3/113.8/1.74
Old 05-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #76 (permalink)
Points: 2,530, Level: 1 Points: 2,530, Level: 1 Points: 2,530, Level: 1

Car: 06 Chrysler 300C SRT8
Member Number: 21523
I have the same light on every now and then. I'm going to go push on all my fuses right now be for I forget.
SLP loud mouth2
180' T-stat
255/30-22F 305/25-22R
Street Edge Coilovers
SNL sleeper cam
SLP 25% UDP
Pedders swaybars
edge 3600 stall
Silver Box shift kit
ebay LT Headers
PWR Mean Street Heads
Soon to install a 426 & Novi
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #77 (permalink)
Points: 2,410, Level: 1 Points: 2,410, Level: 1 Points: 2,410, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300C SRT-8
Member Number: 11801
I've got the same problem in my '07 SRT. ABS engages at very slow speed with light brake pedal pressure and no slippery condition. ABS/BAS/EAS/TC all on with DTC U1418. I replaced the left rear speed sensor...problem remains. Right rear on the way monday since it's on back order. Guess I should have asked which one they had the least of before I bought the front one. No gambling for me any time soon since I just loss a 50/50% bet.

Update: replaced right rear sensor and problem solved!....until now. Light back on 1yr later.

Last edited by dstock; 07-18-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #78 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Bump For Updated Thread
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #79 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 38,113, Level: 1 Points: 38,113, Level: 1 Points: 38,113, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Car: 2007 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 14746
Pics are great vyper! Thanks. Mine continues with no codes,but a chime. One of these days I'll try your fix. Thanks again
Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #80 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
Pics are great vyper! Thanks. Mine continues with no codes,but a chime. One of these days I'll try your fix. Thanks again
You should definitely try it. If you're used to taking off your front wheels, it would take you 20mins for both sides max! Go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement