Weird "cracking" noise when turning steering wheel sometimes. - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Troubleshooting Forums > General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting problems and solutions

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
The
Points: 4,224, Level: 1 Points: 4,224, Level: 1 Points: 4,224, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C 5.7L Hemi
Member Number: 40866
Weird "cracking" noise when turning steering wheel sometimes.

Ok, this problem has been going on too long that I've just became used to it.
I get this weird cracking/grinding type noise sometimes.
It ONLY happens when I'm parking. When I'm inching slowly to get pulled in all the way and spin my steering wheel to get straightened out, I get the noise sometimes. It is an odd thing where I have to going slow enough, being on the brakes just a bit and turn my wheel at the right time to get it to happen.
Or it will happen when I'm stopped completely stopped in a parking space, but turn my wheel to correct the direction of my tires. The best way I can describe the sound in words is a quick, but loud REERT

2005 Chrysler 300C

FAV MODS/MOST FUN TO INSTALL:
DIABLOSPORT PREDATOR 93 OCTANE TUNE
AFE STAGE II COLD AIR INTAKE
CHERRY BOMB VORTEX CATBACK
CUSTOM PANTED/CHROMED ENGINE BAY
AUX AND LED FOOTWELL INTEGRATION
WIRE FREE COBRA RADAR DETECTOR
CUSTOM BADGES, CONSTANTLY CHANGING

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Points: 8,673, Level: 1 Points: 8,673, Level: 1 Points: 8,673, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
Member Number: 9086
I think I know what you're talking about, and I'm curious as well. Mine will do this occasionally... almost sounds like a cross between a cracking sound and a spring being pulled.

SOLD: 2006 Brilliant Black 300C SRT8
SHOPPING FOR: 2011-2013 300C
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion, Yeti 8: Jungle Swing Champion

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 22401
Please check your outer tie rods!!!

I had a similar noise, from what I'm guessing.. then it kind of turned into a knock/thump. All at the same time > slow speeds, parking, turning the wheel.

Well, I was heading up to the Chrysler Museum for a car show last year and my frickin tie rod dropped to the ground. No joke. I had just gotten off of the highway thankfully, or it could have been the end of my car and myself.

Certainly could be steering or just general suspension related... but I just had to mention tie rods because you are giving me flashbacks. So please check your tie rods before one of your wheels starts flopping around while you are driving.

Here's my thread from last year >>> Knock when turning steering wheel... diagnosis?

On a side note, here's some cool pics from that trip that I bumped into when looking for that thread >>> Pics from trip to CEMA Show at Chrysler HQ

Grillcraft SW grill / VIP300C eyelids / HID lows & fogs / LED halos / IPCW tails
SRT8 front lip & rear wing / 15% ceramic tint / JL Audio sound / BT everything
DS
Trinity / 180 tstat / AFE CAI / MF hi-flow cats, mids, catback / DMH cutouts
MOOG suspension / R1 Concepts brakes / 20" Konig Blix 1 / Kuhmo 275/45/20

See more mods >>>> FISCH'S GARAGE
The Following User Says Thank You to Fisch For This Useful Post:
The (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
The

Thanks for the info Fisch! And for the anxiety about it, lol.
Just ordered some aftermarket moog tie rods. Hopefully I can get them changed out this weekend.
Now you just got me thinking that my wheels gonna fall off while driving
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 46,830, Level: 1 Points: 46,830, Level: 1 Points: 46,830, Level: 1
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by The View Post
Thanks for the info Fisch! And for the anxiety about it, lol.
Just ordered some aftermarket moog tie rods. Hopefully I can get them changed out this weekend.
Now you just got me thinking that my wheels gonna fall off while driving
Not the wheel, just the tie rod.

In which case the steering wheel is no longer connected to the road wheel, which will have a tendency to steer itself wherever it wants to go, like into traffic or up trees. The noise you hear IS YOUR WARNING! When it ultimately fails there will be little chance to correct the immediate situation.

It's still a good idea to download the service manual, and use it for reference.
2005 300C BRILLIANT BLACK, DRL, Mesh Grill/Vents, Chrome Pillars & Fender Trim, MDS Indicator, Quad Brake Lights, Tinted Windows, De-Molded, K&N Aircharger, 180 T-Stat, Flashing Sidemarkers, Predator Cust. Perf. 93 CAI Tune
1997 MUSTANG COBRA 'VERT, TRIPLE BLACK, Vortech S/C'd., ECT Mod., 4.10 Rear, 18" Saleen Wheels
1950 FORD TUDOR FLATHEAD V8 - Sold 6/27/14 after 16 years of fun.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Great advice... I had to have new tie rod ends as well not long ago, and am having new control arms installed as we speak. I'm thinking this should probably take care of any noises I've been hearing.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
The

Yeah good advice. I'm planning on saturday having them done. So lets hope they wont go before then...
Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't know if you've had your car checked out yet, but turns out it was the control arms for me. I guess my driver side control arm was cracking, so I had them go ahead and replace both the driver and passenger side and it's running like a champ today. Hope you figure it out!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
The

Quote:
Originally Posted by CcDubya View Post
Don't know if you've had your car checked out yet, but turns out it was the control arms for me. I guess my driver side control arm was cracking, so I had them go ahead and replace both the driver and passenger side and it's running like a champ today. Hope you figure it out!
Ah, thanks for the info. When I get the tie rods replaced Ill check on that too. I cant really remember everything exactly, but I had a bunch of bushings and misc components replaced down there about a year ago
Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion, Yeti 8: Jungle Swing Champion

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 22401
I wish it were the same thing for all of us when it comes to suspension noises, but if you read enough threads here you will find that each car tends to have it's own individual solution unfortunately.

That's a large reason why I just swapped nearly my entire suspension at once. Didn't want to play the chase-the-noise game. Good news is that all noises are gone. But unfortunately I have no idea which one was the actual fix.

But outer tie rod ends are pretty common. Even if that's not the noise, they're still probably due for a change if they are the originals on your '05.

And as DESIREE said, that's exactly what happened to me with the steering. I presume that the ball joint inside the outer tie rod end busted the plastic bearing/thingy when I hit a bump on the highway as I was getting off. Went a little ways down the road and turned left across traffic into a parking lot of a restaurant where my car club was. The club was all backed in in-line at the rear of the lot. Pulled up to the end, put it in reverse and as soon as I moved - CA-CLUNK. I turned the wheel to back in... and my car didn't turn. We ended up just pushing it forward into some empty spots and put a new one on right there in the parking lot. I can only assume that the rubber boot was the only thing holding the steering rack/inner tie rod to the wheel, as the outer tie rod ball joint was no longer in the socket. When I put it into reverse, the rubber boot ripped and the tie rod dropped to the ground. I'm telling ya, I was lucky as hell. If that happened moments earlier on the highway, or even turning across traffic into the parking lot... who knows.

So glad to hear your getting new ones. Even if they're not the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fisch For This Useful Post:
The (02-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement