Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Multiple ODB Code Problem

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jimbob1058 
#1 ·
I live in Seattle and the weather is very moderate. Never above 85 degrees. A few days ago on an unusually got day (92 degrees) I made a rare trip into town. On the way home my 2005 300C started running really rough in traffic. No accelerator pedal just basically very bad idle long enough to get to the side of the freeway. The check engine light was flashing the Electronic Throttle Control light was flashing and the ESP light was as well. When I pulled over and checked the engine codes I had a PO 117, PO197 and PO522 code. I've since tested the wiring to the coolant temp sensor and it's fine. The sensor when cold had a resistance of 10k Ohms. Anyone experienced this sort of multiple failure problem before?

I replaced the battery and cleared the codes and went for several short drives this morning. So far everything is working fine, just afraid to drive any distance.

Thanks for the help - Great forum!

#4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I did look at the main harness and replaced some of the wire loom that had gotten brittle. In the process I pulled the PCM and checked all the connections. Since I AAA'ed the car home and replaced the battery I haven't had another problem. I was just hoping to see if anybody had experienced something similar. I did searches on the forum but didn't see anything with all three.

Great site.

#5 ·
Weak batteries can cause all kinds of grief.

See how it goes going forward.

#7 ·
Thanks Kaiser Bill,
My battery has worked flawlessly since I've owned the car. When it was at the dealer for a different problem they wanted to sell me a new battery, saying mine was dying after an hour of troubleshooting on the car. I declined as it has never left me on the side of the road. When I measured it last Friday I read 12.4 volts and it was down to 615 cranking amps so I popped for a new one. So far so good.

#8 ·
I would have to agree. Failing batteries, even though they may still give you a 13+ volts measured at the terminal, cause all kinds of problems for these cars.

I'm glad to see that was all it was.

Mine has thrown a random code and I've had the ABS/BAS light come on for no dang reason at all on my car. Then it goes away and doesn't repeat for months or years. Just one of those things that makes you go, "huh?"

#9 ·
Mine had the TPS light and the ABS / BAS light come on last year. I know the challenge. I've done all the tie rod ends and the other things these cars go through steering wise. Filled it up once after two years of owning it and it started the dreaded stalling on fill up issue. Went to two dealers trying to get it fixed to no avail. Shared the specifics I found on the forum with the dealer and they looked at me like I was from Mars. Low and behold I got THE letter. Went back and they replaced the tank, twice.

I enjoy driving the car. One of Chrysler's better ideas.

#10 ·
Knowledge is power!

#11 ·
Well it doesn't look like it was the battery. Went for a drive and at 71 miles since I replaced the battery the car went into limp in mode and then went into pull of the road mode a few seconds later. This time the codes were PO522, PO 141 and PO155. Cleared the codes restarted the car and went far enough to get off the freeway. This time it came back directly to pull off the road mode with a PO117 and PO197 code.

When I say pull off the road mode I mean that the engine still runs but extremely rough and the accelerator pedal doesn't work. You essentially idle off of the road. The motor stays running but it sounds unbalanced and on way less cylinders.

I'm going to pull the alternator tomorrow so i can get to the oil pressure sensors and see the remainder of the wire harness.

#13 ·
Good morning,
I found another thread that had some information similar to the problem I'm having. It was in fact a melted wiring harness for this person. To that end I started digging out my wire harness to find the plastic casing brittle, broken in a bunch of places and gone in several others. I'm hoping to pull the entire harness and fix it up over the weekend. Here are a few pictures. Also, there is a great picture of the oil pressure sending unit wire which has to be the hardest wire to access on these cars. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

#14 ·
*UPDATE*
If anyone has ever opened the wire harness containing the alternator power wire, oil sensors, cam position sensor and several others I would be interested to know if your harness was bonded. What I mean is, are the wires glued together? I found that my harness had the wires bonded or glued or melted to one another down about 8" where the harness travels above the exhaust manifold. I gingerly separated the wires and then separated the oil sensor leads from the cam and alternator leads. Wrapped them individually and then bundled them with plastic loom. Then I wrapped the loom with aluminum cool tape and put a second loop over that. I'm hoping the cool tape will reflect the heat away from the wires. Also put in new shorty plug wires on my 05 300c at the same time. I have to say it is running far smoother now than when I had the long wires. I left the cover off the engine in hopes that the heat would dissipate quicker, besides now I can see my nice short wires. 34 miles down. Last time the computer crapped out it was at 72 miles. We shall see....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.