Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Dipstick otherside

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  silver06hemic 
#1 ·
Hey peeps. I had to take a break from the forum and the car as its been over a year, two engines, three blocks, two heads and a whole load of labour cost and still no 5.7 hemi. I just bought an engine from a Jeep cherokee 5.7 and have had it put into my 5.7 hemi 300C. They called me up today and told me to pick it up.

When i got down, i discovered the following:-

The gear stick is very very tight and at certain times, i could not get reverse.

Driving normally was fine but under load I get a really horrible vibration that i can feel through the car floor like gears or exhaust rubbing on chassis. Again driving normally without load is fine.

The dipstick is on the other side. I understand that the dipstick has to be on the left side (Standing in front of the car / Passenger side USA) on 300c but this is on the rights side. I know that jeep / ram / etc have it on this side. The oil sump has been changed so my origional 300c oil sump is in use. Is there a problem with this setup? Will i get an accurate oil reading? What is the reason for having the dipstick on the other side?

Can anyone shed some light on any of these problems. I was thinking that maybe the dipstick is interfering with crank or something but the engine has just been lifted out of the cherokee and was running fine in that.

P.s When the car is in park. It revs fine. All the way up with no noise or vibration. The horrible noise ONLY comes when i put my foot into it.

Thanks People.

See less See more
#2 ·
Truck engines and car engines (Chrysler-Dodge)have many differences,if you try and put a truck engine in a car it
is a problem.Jeep is a truck.There are many threads on this subject.Use search engine read and learn.Why a mechanic
would let you do that puzzels me.good luck.

#3 · (Edited)
There aren't many differences. The 5.7 block is the same as are the heads. To make it fit one needs to swap the
timing cover from my 300c so all the ancillaries mount and position themselves correctly, the sump has to change as jeep is different from 300c. Done this. The coil packs were the same. So no wiring or valve covers needed changing And the dipstick is positioned on the other side. The mechanic didn't allow me to do this. They did it. They are the last semblance of Chrysler left in the uk called acd Chrysler. Also I have read a tone of threads of people doing this for over a year. It can and is done a lot. Engines from jeep, ram, commander to 300c.

And as my post says the car is on and running there are just a few sounds coming from underneath ONLY when under heavy load. I suspect it has something to do with the gear lever being a little difficult to move, like there is something interfering with the linkages and not finding reverse occasionally. But not sure which was why I am asking the forum. And as the car runs I was wondering what the difference is by putting the dipstick on the other side.

No disrespect, I know you have been on this forum for a while but have a simple search and you will see what I mean. I just wanna know the answers to my questions above. It's been over a year now. It can be done. It has been done. It's simple. What's my problem ggrrrrrrrr?

#5 · (Edited)
Not in the uk. These engines are very rare. You have to get what you can and run. Hahahahah

It's done now as the engine is running. I've swapped all the relevant bits over including manifold.

Do you know why the dipstick is on the other side. There is a hole on the other side of the block for using the dipstick on when the engine is installed in a car instead of truck. But why is it on the otherwise as there are no clearance problems?

Have you heard of the noise and gear problems after an engine install?

#6 ·
the
It's done now as the engine is running. I've swapped all the relevant bits over including manifold.

Do you know why the dipstick is on the other side. There is a hole on the other side of the block for using the dipstick on when the engine is installed in a car instead of truck. But why is it on the otherwise as there are no clearance problems?

Have you heard of the noise and gear problems after an engine install?[/QUOTE]

Depending on the year of the truck engine the mounting holes of the engine are different from a car. That could be
a reason your shifter is tight.Also the truck ECM is programmed with different trans.shift points,also the truck diff.,
has a ratio much higher then a car. All this info is programmed in to the Ecm.The oil dip stick location was a dodge
engineering decision as these engines are used in many applications,as far as I know.Make sure the ECM is compatible
with the car specs

#7 ·
Thanks fella. I am using my original 300c PCM. I take it that dipstick is okay then on the otherside then.

What do you mean by mounting holes are different. You mean how the block mates to the gearbox? Because the block and heads when compared where identical.

#8 ·
Were motor mounts and engine block mate.Must be perfectly alined. Re configured dipstick should be fine as long
as its functional and not leaking.Did you make sure the torqe converter had oil?Truck engine should run around 390 hp

Reactions: 300cvirgin
#10 ·
Thanks Silver. Yes that noise underneath does seem like a rotational grinding knocking noise. Not like suspension as Chrysler are telling me it could be. I can feel it through my feet and it's effecting the exhaust. I think you are spot on. But I'm confused that Chrysler didn't see this as They had it up in the air and drove it and apparently it did not make the noise nor when it is in neutral. So I know it's not the engine. If it's not the engine mount then what would need tweaking as all they have done is removed the manifolds and put them back again?

I'm wondering that maybe they left the jeep manifolds on to avoid buying manifold gaskets but the exhaust wouldn't fit would it as that is one of the things that have to be changed?

The jeep engine runs a but more brake horse power but that is down to the pcm right? I'm using my original 300c 2006 5.7 pcm?

#11 ·
Hey bud...

Where the catback meets the mid pipes can be the issue, only a little bit off and when you are on the throttle it's enough to rub, the clearance is not great in there. I'm pretty sure it will just need adjusted...

When I say an indicator of a bad mount, I mean that when they tear they can allow enough movement under WOT to shift the motor and exhaust... You'd get a rub then and not at idle... Its a possibility and sometimes hard to see.

I would presume they used the 300c gaskets but anything is possible, however I would say they used the 300c manifolds as the jeep ones mate differently to the mid pipes.

The power in the 05-08 jeep 5.7 is actually a little (3 or 4hp) less than the 05-06 300c... It was contributed I believe to the different air intake box and different exhaust with more restriction. No biggie... Yours will be making the same with the 300c equipment on it...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.